Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Critic calls Melissa McCarthy 'tractor-sized,' 'hippo' in review of new film

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 45 Replies

Critic calls Melissa McCarthy 'tractor-sized,' 'hippo' in review of new film

Veteran film critic Rex Reed disliked the new comedy "Identity Thief" so much that he resorted to critiquing the physical appearance of actress Melissa McCarthy, the film's star.

In a review in The New York Observer, the longtime critic calls McCarthy "tractor-sized" and refers to her character as a "humongous creep." The actress stars alongside Jason Bateman in the tale of a businessman who has his identity stolen by a woman on the other side of the country. The film opens in theaters Friday.

Universal Pictures

Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman, background, in a scene from "Identity Thief."

Reed refers to McCarthy as a "hippo" and "a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success."

The Emmy-winning star of the CBS comedy "Mike & Molly," McCarthy had a high-profile turn in the 2011 comedy "Bridesmaids," which earned her an Academy Award nomination. She has openly discussed her weight in the past.

"Sometimes I wish I were just magically a size six and I never had to give [my weight] a single thought," McCarthy, 42, told Good Housekeeping last fall. "But I am weirdly healthy, so I don’t beat myself up about it -- it wouldn’t help, and I don’t want to pass that on to my girls."

Reed, 74, has been a well-known film critic for decades, and his work has appeared in numerous newspapers and magazines. His bio on the New York Film Critics Circle website says he is the author of eight books about the movies, and he once co-hosted the syndicated television show "At the Movies."

Stephen Shugerman / Getty Images file

Rex Reed in Palm Springs, Calif., in 2007.

Reed's focus on McCarthy's weight drew a healty dose of criticism in reader comments on the Observer website.

"I don't know who you think you are but it's a damn shame that at this point in your career you've resorted to trashing the way a woman looks as part of your gimmick here," wrote Ashbey Riley.

"What benefit is there to attacking Melissa McCarthy personally when you're supposed to be talking about the quality of the film?" wrote Grae Drake. "There are so few people you can count on in this over-saturated industry for true film criticism, and you just ruined any remaining shreds of credibility you had."

"I get you hated the movie," said Robin Mitchell. "I have hated lots of movies and didn't need to resort to name-calling and fat shaming. Professionals do not behave this way."

North West Passage

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Senile?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, isn't he a peach.

When some one resorts to such remarks, it only reflects on their lack of character.  That is far more detrimental.

He sounds like some 3rd grade kid whose parents taught him to be shallow and to resort to name calling.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I absolutely adore her, and think she is gorgeous. I am a big girl. (I see myself as much bigger than I am. I have issues with self image). Her self confidence is An insperation to me. I have a very hard time losing weight because of emotional problems. I will lose 30 pounds only to have things fall apart and I gain it all back. Right now I am in a down time. And motivation it hard to come by. This time of year always hits me like that. :(
ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this
**sigh**

Interesting fact about Melissa McCarthy, she's Jenny McCarthy's cousin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I have similar issues. I lost 80 pounds and whenever I look in the mirror, I still see me as a big girl. I went from size 15 jeans to a 4 and struggle daily. This guy is representation of everything wrong in our society (when it comes to body image).

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

I absolutely adore her, and think she is gorgeous. I am a big girl. (I see myself as much bigger than I am. I have issues with self image). Her self confidence is An insperation to me. I have a very hard time losing weight because of emotional problems. I will lose 30 pounds only to have things fall apart and I gain it all back. Right now I am in a down time. And motivation it hard to come by. This time of year always hits me like that. :(

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

He doesn't appear as if he has much room to talk.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

That really sucks. Seriously.

I too have lost weight but most significantly I have become an exercise lover. That more than anything helped my image but there are still days when I feel insecure.

Quoting ashellbell:

I have similar issues. I lost 80 pounds and whenever I look in the mirror, I still see me as a big girl. I went from size 15 jeans to a 4 and struggle daily. This guy is representation of everything wrong in our society (when it comes to body image).

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I run and do yoga (well jog) but nothing really helps. I really was more secure when I was actually bigger, it's weird. Can't really talk to anyone about it because they all think I'm crazy. Ugh.

Quoting Momniscient:

I too have lost weight but most significantly I have become an exercise lover. That more than anything helped my image but there are still days when I feel insecure.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You aren't crazy. At all. I completely understand. Have you ever thought about getting a trainer? Running is good. Well, I hate it but lol... Yoga is also good but you may benefit tremendously from weight training. I now love my arms and even my 4 pack stomach. I never never never thought I could ever get to a place where my whole body didn't bother me. Seriously.

Quoting ashellbell:

I run and do yoga (well jog) but nothing really helps. I really was more secure when I was actually bigger, it's weird. Can't really talk to anyone about it because they all think I'm crazy. Ugh.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM
2 moms liked this

sad day when a journalist / critic resorts to name calling and personal jabs.

Pass used by date IMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)