Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dead Horse of the Day : SSD and SSI...This is how it really works....

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 53 Replies
6 moms liked this

Most of the posts I've seen in the last couple of days make reference to disabilities and Social Security benefits...there are a lot of misconceptions out there! I'm a paralegal who handles SS cases daily, from beginning to end, and it just twists my knickers to see some of the commentary out there...So, I'm going to clear up a few things....

1. SSD= Social Security Disability ; SSI = Social Security Supplementary Income ....SSD/SSI are two different things, basically it comes down to the amount of money you can be paid and what type of insurence you get...Someone who has never worked, or hasn't worked  in a really long time can only get SSI and usually - but not always - Medicaid....Why? Because they don't have any work credits - that print out that you get every so often that from the SSA tells you how many you have - for disability...This does not mean they are not disabled....If someone has SSD, they get paid based on how many work credits they have, and their amount can be more or less than someone else's...Someone getting SSI gets a set amount and it's the same as all the other people who have SSI...

2. They don't just give it away....I've seen a lot of posts where people think you just kind of walk into the social security office and walk out with money, it so doesn't work that way...SS benefits are hard to get - yes, I know I'm about to be pounded with answers about how they or someone they knew got it right off but that doesn't happen often....I have worked on cases that were being turned down for their 5th, 7th, 9th time and these people were very obviously too ill or hurt to work....Cases can and do take years to get through....and some people do actually die before they can get help....You have to do a lot to prove someone is disabled, especially if the issue is with their back, digestion, psychological or obesity....Anyone can go to SSA.gov and look under "Listings of Impairments" and see that there are a lot of criteria to meet...the process of getting SS really does weed out the people who need it vs the people who just want money...there are much easier ways to get money, lol

3. SS Benefits are not the same as PA, though because the benefits are not generally a big check each month many people on SSD/SSI are also on PA...SS benefits are not as much as most people think and while they do help, they're not enough to live on alone....Especially in this economy where things just keep getting more and more expensive...Anyone can get SSA, even if they are in a "rich" family, it just means their cash benefits will be less than someone who is in a "poor" family....

4. People who are on SSD/SSI or who have their children on it are not just "trying to get a government check"...they're trying to survive and they're trying to make sure their children are taken care of, especially when they are grown themselves... 

I know there are going to be bashers and people just itching to tell me about soandso who got this right away and it was a huge check and they spend it on Prada Shoes, Gucci bags and manicures....And some might, but they're they exception and not the rule...and it's not my business to tell someone else what to do with their money...

I hope that clears some things up...I've simplified it a bit, but that's generally they way it works...

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for posting this just maybe it will help others understand but I doubt it.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm sorry I had to make #3 bold and highlighted maybe others will get it through their skulls.

Quoting shimmifairy:

Most of the posts I've seen in the last couple of days make reference to disabilities and Social Security benefits...there are a lot of misconceptions out there! I'm a paralegal who handles SS cases daily, from beginning to end, and it just twists my knickers to see some of the commentary out there...So, I'm going to clear up a few things....

1. SSD= Social Security Disability ; SSI = Social Security Supplementary Income ....SSD/SSI are two different things, basically it comes down to the amount of money you can be paid and what type of insurence you get...Someone who has never worked, or hasn't worked  in a really long time can only get SSI and usually - but not always - Medicaid....Why? Because they don't have any work credits - that print out that you get every so often that from the SSA tells you how many you have - for disability...This does not mean they are not disabled....If someone has SSD, they get paid based on how many work credits they have, and their amount can be more or less than someone else's...Someone getting SSI gets a set amount and it's the same as all the other people who have SSI...

2. They don't just give it away....I've seen a lot of posts where people think you just kind of walk into the social security office and walk out with money, it so doesn't work that way...SS benefits are hard to get - yes, I know I'm about to be pounded with answers about how they or someone they knew got it right off but that doesn't happen often....I have worked on cases that were being turned down for their 5th, 7th, 9th time and these people were very obviously too ill or hurt to work....Cases can and do take years to get through....and some people do actually die before they can get help....You have to do a lot to prove someone is disabled, especially if the issue is with their back, digestion, psychological or obesity....Anyone can go to SSA.gov and look under "Listings of Impairments" and see that there are a lot of criteria to meet...the process of getting SS really does weed out the people who need it vs the people who just want money...there are much easier ways to get money, lol

3. SS Benefits are not the same as PA, though because the benefits are not generally a big check each month many people on SSD/SSI are also on PA...SS benefits are not as much as most people think and while they do help, they're not enough to live on alone....Especially in this economy where things just keep getting more and more expensive...Anyone can get SSA, even if they are in a "rich" family, it just means their cash benefits will be less than someone who is in a "poor" family....

4. People who are on SSD/SSI or who have their children on it are not just "trying to get a government check"...they're trying to survive and they're trying to make sure their children are taken care of, especially when they are grown themselves... 

I know there are going to be bashers and people just itching to tell me about soandso who got this right away and it was a huge check and they spend it on Prada Shoes, Gucci bags and manicures....And some might, but they're they exception and not the rule...and it's not my business to tell someone else what to do with their money...

I hope that clears some things up...I've simplified it a bit, but that's generally they way it works...

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Im curious :-)  As an outsider.

What is the SS that you pay into as a tax payer?

shimmifairy
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I believe it's all the same pool of money, it's the amount someone is paid that is different....Though I'll admit, I know much more about how the process works than about how it's funded :) 

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

so that SS tax payer money is a safety net for those who are disabled and fall on hard times as an old person?

Its not yours as a gimme for paying into it for say 40 years?  But a government tax for them as a safety net.

sorry trying to understand.  I though that the SS tax payment was like a federal superannuation fund.  I mean its such a big chunk of tax.

Quoting shimmifairy:

I believe it's all the same pool of money, it's the amount someone is paid that is different....Though I'll admit, I know much more about how the process works than about how it's funded :) 

Quoting turtle68:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

SSI is PA..they did not earn that benefit in anyway except by being born.

lisairv
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this

You pay into your own ss basically. That's how they figure out your retirement income. It also comes into play if you become disabled. I hope that clears some of it up. 

Quoting turtle68:

lisairv
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Also OP....some can collect from their spouses social security if they have been married for 12 or more years. I am going through a ssd claim myself. You are right. It is not easy. I am on my first appeal. I don't have a court date yet. It's a ton of paperwork. Ton! But since my ex has more credits paid in than I do, I can claim on his since I didn't remarry. 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

There is different scetions to Social Security

Retirement

Disability

Survivors

Supplemental Income

our taxes pay into them all

Quoting turtle68:

so that SS tax payer money is a safety net for those who are disabled and fall on hard times as an old person?

Its not yours as a gimme for paying into it for say 40 years?  But a government tax for them as a safety net.

sorry trying to understand.  I though that the SS tax payment was like a federal superannuation fund.  I mean its such a big chunk of tax.

Quoting shimmifairy:

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Do you have an aged pension?  A welfare payment for the aged?  Here the only criteria is age.  We dont have a tax that is specific for it but the taxes do pay for it.  Superfunds are paid into by employers.  If you work you have a superfund.  Can be collected as a lump sum at retirement age.

Quoting soonergirl980:

There is different scetions to Social Security

Retirement

Disability

Survivors

Supplemental Income

our taxes pay into them all

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting shimmifairy:

Quoting turtle68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)