Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should cops be able to shoot random (Innocent) people? [Not Confirming who they shoot at]

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-torrance-shooting-20130209,0,4414028.story

Dorner had a Grey Toyota Tundra. One of the vehicles they shot up was a Blue Toyota Tacoma.

And they didn't accidentally shot one bullet into this innocent civilians truck. I counted 46 (I might be off by one or two).

The second victim of Police shooting also the wrong color and model. And inside a skinny white guy.

And this isn't even the end. The Supsect is a tall (Near 6 feet), black, and 270 lbs.

They have shot at a truck with two Asian mexican ladies. And a truck with a white guy in it.

So unless two asian mexican ladies look like a black guy or a blue truck looks like a gray truck (Differen't model as well) something is clearly wrong here.

Someone made a joke that if you are a tall black man you need to stay inside for a few days. But since we have two asian mexican ladies and a white guy being shot at. It is pretty clear that if cops are around you are in danger (If you are in southern california at the moment).

Quote:

Two people were struck by gunfire and transported to an area hospital with unknown injuries, Chase said. No officers were injured.

The second incident, which involved Torrance police, occurred at Flagler Lane and Beryl Street about 5:45 a.m. No injuries were reported in that incident.

I agree this guy needs to be stopped. But is shooting 40+ bullets at every shadow that might be him really the best way to "catch" him?

An easy, "Please Come out with your hands up" Would have worked. Those people would have walked out of their vehicles and not been shot. Calling backup and following the vehicles would have worked as well.

Running the license plate numbers would show who they are as well.

This upsets me to no ends.

Normally there is a, "But if you look at it from this point it makes sense" Direction from the action Police perform.

But how do you shoot at the wrong truck 40+ times (That is the wrong color and model number) and they look nothing like the suspect. Or shoot at two asian mexican ladies, or a white guy when you are looking for a 6 foot, 270 lb, black guy?

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (361-370):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

No one said the car was driving itself. Can you grab a quote that suggest this or accept your entire argument is based on lies you yourself conjured up.

Quoting AMBG825:

Well if it wasn't George Jetson or Optimus Prime why did you spend 5 pages trying to convince everyone that it was? "The car was driving itself" No it wasn't. You're the one that sat there saying "They didn't shoot at a car they shot at people." Unless the car was driving itself they shot at a car. That photo in your post is a car. Not a person. Maybe you don't know what a car is. But that big blue thing in your post with all the bullet holes in it ...that's a car  ....not a person. There was no need to spend 5 pages trying to convince us that photo is of a person and not a car. That's a car.

So how did the police mistake this car for one they were looking for?  Obviously it's an important question since it happened more than once. And until an answer is given or people like me with an actual brain in their head (who knows the difference between a car and a person) demands an answer for it ....it will happen again and again and again.

"We don't care why it happened. Why it happened is irrelevant" obviously isn't true. It is very obviously a relevant question since it has happened more than once. You can't fix a problem ...meaning you can't make a judgement call on what should happen next, if you don't know why it's happening in the first place.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

My hero is not involved in the case. Neither is Optimus Prime or George Jefferson. Have you gone off the deep end?

Had the Cops confirmed who was inside either vehicle they would have known it was not Optimus Prime, George Jefferson, or Christopher Dorner and wouldn't have unloaded 50+ bullets.

It was a case of mistaken identity is not a question. It is an answer to the question, "Why were these people shot".

Just because you cannot understand it doesn't make it not true. The police agree. The victims agree. Everyone agrees with this.

Everyone besides you. But considering you think cars are flying, driving themselves, that Optimus Prime and George Jefferson are involved. What you think might be a moot point. Clearly you are not thinking rationally.

Quoting AMBG825:

No it is not. That is not an answer to the question asked.

How the fuck did the cops mistake this car, with 2 women in as being your hero? What happened to cause them to think that? It was a case of mistaken identity is the question?

I get why the car got their attention and it wasn't because Optimus Prime was parading around in a George Jetson costume. I get that part. I do get that they weren't standing in front of the vehicle shooting over the top of it while the bullets pulled some Kennedy magic bullet act and do a uturn in midflight. So I get that they were standing behind Optimus Prime in his George Jetson costume in the dark, trying to see through the tinted windows and not getting a good look at the driver. I get that part. I even get why they had their guns drawn as they got near the car.

What I'm not getting, and you're not answering despite pretending to be this all-knowing person when it comes to virtually everythign you know nothing about, is what caused them to panic? What event sent them into a panic mode. It wasn't Optimus Prime in his George Jetson costume sitting there looking pretty. Something happened that made them panic. What?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

So to you. Deflection is directly answering your question?

You ask, "Why did they shoot?". Everyone agrees. They fired because it was a case of mistaken identity (This means they thought the people were Christopher Dorner).

That is an answer. Not a defelection but what actually happened, according to the Police and two groups of victims.

Another lie from you. I NEVER claimed they were the same make and model or color. But the Police statements that have been released all claimed they thought the vehicles were a "match". Notice how I normally put the word match in quotes? It's because despite that they say there were a match the vehicles were not matches.

And as the Police statement said. Their tensions are high.

Clearly you are not reading anything about the situation. They haven't said it was a mistaken identity?

Quote:

In an interview with The Times on Friday, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck outlined the most detailed account yet of how the shooting unfolded. Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were the victims of "a tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under "incredible tension," he said. Just hours before, Dorner allegedly shot three police officers, one fatally. And, in an online posting authorities attributed to him, Dorner threatened to kill more police and seemed to take responsibility for the slaying over the weekend of the daughter of a retired LAPD captain and her fiance.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

AMBG825
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Ummm ...you are seriously denying that you kept clarifying that they shot "PEOPLE. Do you not understand what PEOPLE are?" and the whole "vehicles are just mechanical parts" line of deflection? You are seriously denying those 5 pages of "clarification" that they didn't shoot "PEOPLE. They shot PEOPLE"

They shot a vehicle up. the fact that the VEHICLE they shot up had PEOPLE inside of it was a given unless the vehicle was driving itself. It's pretty safe to say that there were "PEOPLE" driving the "vehicle made of mechanical parts."

Quoting brookiecookie87:

No one said the car was driving itself. Can you grab a quote that suggest this or accept your entire argument is based on lies you yourself conjured up.

Quoting AMBG825:

Well if it wasn't George Jetson or Optimus Prime why did you spend 5 pages trying to convince everyone that it was? "The car was driving itself" No it wasn't. You're the one that sat there saying "They didn't shoot at a car they shot at people." Unless the car was driving itself they shot at a car. That photo in your post is a car. Not a person. Maybe you don't know what a car is. But that big blue thing in your post with all the bullet holes in it ...that's a car  ....not a person. There was no need to spend 5 pages trying to convince us that photo is of a person and not a car. That's a car.

So how did the police mistake this car for one they were looking for?  Obviously it's an important question since it happened more than once. And until an answer is given or people like me with an actual brain in their head (who knows the difference between a car and a person) demands an answer for it ....it will happen again and again and again.

"We don't care why it happened. Why it happened is irrelevant" obviously isn't true. It is very obviously a relevant question since it has happened more than once. You can't fix a problem ...meaning you can't make a judgement call on what should happen next, if you don't know why it's happening in the first place.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

My hero is not involved in the case. Neither is Optimus Prime or George Jefferson. Have you gone off the deep end?

Had the Cops confirmed who was inside either vehicle they would have known it was not Optimus Prime, George Jefferson, or Christopher Dorner and wouldn't have unloaded 50+ bullets.

It was a case of mistaken identity is not a question. It is an answer to the question, "Why were these people shot".

Just because you cannot understand it doesn't make it not true. The police agree. The victims agree. Everyone agrees with this.

Everyone besides you. But considering you think cars are flying, driving themselves, that Optimus Prime and George Jefferson are involved. What you think might be a moot point. Clearly you are not thinking rationally.

Quoting AMBG825:

How the fuck did the cops mistake this car, with 2 women in as being your hero? What happened to cause them to think that? It was a case of mistaken identity is the question?

I get why the car got their attention and it wasn't because Optimus Prime was parading around in a George Jetson costume. I get that part. I do get that they weren't standing in front of the vehicle shooting over the top of it while the bullets pulled some Kennedy magic bullet act and do a uturn in midflight. So I get that they were standing behind Optimus Prime in his George Jetson costume in the dark, trying to see through the tinted windows and not getting a good look at the driver. I get that part. I even get why they had their guns drawn as they got near the car.

What I'm not getting, and you're not answering despite pretending to be this all-knowing person when it comes to virtually everythign you know nothing about, is what caused them to panic? What event sent them into a panic mode. It wasn't Optimus Prime in his George Jetson costume sitting there looking pretty. Something happened that made them panic. What?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

You ask, "Why did they shoot?". Everyone agrees. They fired because it was a case of mistaken identity (This means they thought the people were Christopher Dorner).

That is an answer. Not a defelection but what actually happened, according to the Police and two groups of victims.

Another lie from you. I NEVER claimed they were the same make and model or color. But the Police statements that have been released all claimed they thought the vehicles were a "match". Notice how I normally put the word match in quotes? It's because despite that they say there were a match the vehicles were not matches.

Clearly you are not reading anything about the situation. They haven't said it was a mistaken identity?

Quote:

In an interview with The Times on Friday, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck outlined the most detailed account yet of how the shooting unfolded. Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were the victims of "a tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under "incredible tension," he said. Just hours before, Dorner allegedly shot three police officers, one fatally. And, in an online posting authorities attributed to him, Dorner threatened to kill more police and seemed to take responsibility for the slaying over the weekend of the daughter of a retired LAPD captain and her fiance.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Wow. Talk about being obtuse.

I never suggested there were not people in the vehicles (You did-No one else did).

You did insist that people were implying they were shooting at random vehicles. Which is a VERY different statement than random people.

Random vehicles implies. Random Vehicles. Cars, Trucks, buses, motorcycles. No one said such a thing.  Even if you specified random trucks it wouldn't fit. Most people agree (Inlcuding the Police) that they shot at the trucks because they thought it belong to Christopher Dorner and thought he was driving.

The problem everyone else has is they didn't check to see who was driving. They are shooting at the vehicle because they believe Christopher Dorner was inside driving (Not random. They are specificially shooting at this truck. It is not random).

However, Christopher Dorner is not inside and because they didn't confirm, or verify who was inside the people inside of the trucks are shot at. They have no idea who these people are because they didn't check. They are random people.

If you do not agree that they are random people. Then that means the people are known and that Police Officers purposefully and intentionally shot at innocent civilians. I don't think anyone think that happened.

Quoting AMBG825:

Ummm ...you are seriously denying that you kept clarifying that they shot "PEOPLE. Do you not understand what PEOPLE are?" and the whole "vehicles are just mechanical parts" line of deflection? You are seriously denying those 5 pages of "clarification" that they didn't shoot "PEOPLE. They shot PEOPLE"

They shot a vehicle up. the fact that the VEHICLE they shot up had PEOPLE inside of it was a given unless the vehicle was driving itself. It's pretty safe to say that there were "PEOPLE" driving the "vehicle made of mechanical parts."

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

__Heather__
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Quoting AMBG825:

And....your commentary no longer earns my response or thought. Have a good day!
AMBG825
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Quoting __Heather__:

Quoting AMBG825:

And....your commentary no longer earns my response or thought. Have a good day!

Apparently it did. Jenus.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Really? This shit again?

Just say you don't know or that you want everyone's knee jerk reaction. Get it over with and tell us what it is you are looking to see.

really. Just tell us what you want us to say.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I never suggested there were not people in the vehicles (You did-No one else did).

You did insist that people were implying they were shooting at random vehicles. Which is a VERY different statement than random people.

Random vehicles implies. Random Vehicles. Cars, Trucks, buses, motorcycles. No one said such a thing.  Even if you specified random trucks it wouldn't fit. Most people agree (Inlcuding the Police) that they shot at the trucks because they thought it belong to Christopher Dorner and thought he was driving.

The problem everyone else has is they didn't check to see who was driving. They are shooting at the vehicle because they believe Christopher Dorner was inside driving (Not random. They are specificially shooting at this truck. It is not random).

However, Christopher Dorner is not inside and because they didn't confirm, or verify who was inside the people inside of the trucks are shot at. They have no idea who these people are because they didn't check. They are random people.

If you do not agree that they are random people. Then that means the people are known and that Police Officers purposefully and intentionally shot at innocent civilians. I don't think anyone think that happened.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

AMBG825
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You win. Let's take every cop on the planet, round their asses up, no trial. No investigation and just drop them off on an island somewhere and nuke it. If we can find an island with some real tall trees, we'll hang them first. Cops kids - screw em. Let's torch their schools. They deserve it. They shouldn't have such a low life human being as their parent. And if you marry a cop ....screw you too. You deserve the same fate because you're a low life too. We don't care about investigating anything. That's too much work. You're going to that island.

Is that what you're looking to see Frito?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Two situations played out:

1)They knew the people inside were not Christopher Dorner (Not Random).  They knew one was a women in her 40's with her mom in the 70's and decided to shoot them 50+ times and knew the other was a white guy who is 100 lbs lighter and white and shot at him anyways?

or

2) Did they think it was Christopher Dorner inside the vehicle but didn't check and shot up two different trucks where the driver was someone completely random? (Random)

If what you are saying is true and it wasn't random. Why did they call it a case of Mistaken Identity? Why would they lie about that? If they knew who was inside and shot at them for a specific reason why would they call it a case of mistaken identity? Why would they offer to replace the trucks, and pay for medical bills?

Or perhaps. The Police are not lying. It was a Tragic Case of Mistaken Identity.

Quoting AMBG825:

Really? This shit again?

Just say you don't know or that you want everyone's knee jerk reaction. Get it over with and tell us what it is you are looking to see.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Straw man tactic, now, uh? With name calling. Awesome debate tactics.

No one said, "No investigation should happen".
No one said, "Let's nuke them"
No one said, "Let's torch the schools their kids go to"
No one said, "They shouldn't have kids"
No one said, "If you are married to a cop screw you!"

No one said anything remotely close to anything in your little tangent.

What people did say is that before a Police Officer pulls the trigger they should know who they are shooting at. People did say that if you cannot wait to see who you are shooting at before you shoot the Police Force might not be for them.

That doesn't mean all Police are bad. That doesn't even mean the Police who did the shooting are bad.  Everyone can agree they are under a lot of pressure and tension at the moment. But if they cannot work under pressure and tension they should not be working under pressure and tension.

That doesn't mean we should nuke them, harm their kids, or any of the other lies you conjured up.

Quoting AMBG825:

You win. Let's take every cop on the planet, round their asses up, no trial. No investigation and just drop them off on an island somewhere and nuke it. If we can find an island with some real tall trees, we'll hang them first. Cops kids - screw em. Let's torch their schools. They deserve it. They shouldn't have such a low life human being as their parent. And if you marry a cop ....screw you too. You deserve the same fate because you're a low life too. We don't care about investigating anything. That's too much work. You're going to that island.

Is that what you're looking to see Frito?

AMBG825
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Or, as I've already suggested several times, did they start to investigate who was driving and something happened that caused them to panic so they gave up on confirming and started shooting. (and if you go back through all your deflection posts, you'll see there are several scenarios I've mentioned that were legitimately possible based on the events we DO know happened.)

That is why I'm asking the question I'm asking. Each one of those scenarios deserves a different reaction. The policies put in place for future incidences will be directly related to the answer to the question of "why"? If it was your scenario 1. Then they need to go back to their hiring process. (Which we already know that they do based on Dorner himself) If it's scenario 2, they need to change their training procedures. If it's scenario 3, then they need to do both ....change their hiring process and their training procedures as well probably get word out to the public to not do certain things when they have cops behind them.

There is no one size fits all answer. The answer for the question you posed is dependent upon the chunk of information that we are missing.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Two situations played out:

1)They knew the people inside were not Christopher Dorner (Not Random).  They knew one was a women in her 40's with her mom in the 70's and decided to shoot them 50+ times and knew the other was a white guy who is 100 lbs lighter and white and shot at him anyways?

or

2) Did they think it was Christopher Dorner inside the vehicle but didn't check and shot up two different trucks where the driver was someone completely random? (Random)

If what you are saying is true and it wasn't random. Why did they call it a case of Mistaken Identity? Why would they lie about that? If they knew who was inside and shot at them for a specific reason why would they call it a case of mistaken identity? Why would they offer to replace the trucks, and pay for medical bills?

Or perhaps. The Police are not lying. It was a Tragic Case of Mistaken Identity.

Quoting AMBG825:

Really? This shit again?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quote:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)