Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's in your blizzard survival kit?

Posted by   + Show Post

We're expected to get 12" or so by the time the storm ends, which isn't a ton in the grand scheme (hello, 3 feet in Boston!) but I still made sure to load up on supplies.

My must-have item(s) are baking ingredients, since baking doubles as a fun activity as well as a tasty treat in the end. I actually grabbed a whoopie pie kit this time, just for something different (and easy). :)

What do you stock up on?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
kam013
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I live in a snow state and we are in the heart of this storm.  We are New Englanders through and through, we never believe the forecast for hurricanes or blizzards until they are over and have actually happened . . .  my DH is still saying it's going to fizzle and we are predicted for 3 feet.   

That doesn't mean I don't prepare for the "just in case" scenario.

Top of the must have list, food, water, beverages, propane for the grill in case we lose power and gas for the snow blower.  Right under that, plenty of food for the furbabies.  We are good to go!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
7 moms liked this

If I was in the blizzard it would have duct tape, diapers and booze. I would duct tape my kids mouths, put them in diapers and drink myself sleepy.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

A plow, snowmobiles and 4x4.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yep.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I don't stock up on anything. I live in a snow state. We just get out our shovels and snow blowers and move on with our lives.

diaperstodating
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Food, snacks, snow suits, and snow gloves.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
4 moms liked this

My blizzard survival kit is an address in Georgia. LOL.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We do too, but we always make sure to have 15 gallons of gas for the generator all winter.

Quoting frogbender:

Since we often lose power if there are large snows, we get items that can be easy to cook on a camp stove.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Right? I live here in sunny Southern California,lol.

Quoting talia-mom:

Blizzards are things you get at Dairy Queen.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Matriarch87
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Nothing really, having snow 8 months out of the year is not an unusual occurance.  If im aware some really intense snow is going to fall and potentially take out the local power grid, and drift us inside our house from all sides unable to leave...well I just keep my survival kit stocked.  Camping gas stove, canned goods, candles, wood, first aid kit, blankets blah blah...

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

We have a small generator, not quite big enough to run the stove. Mainly, it is for the refridgerator and the blower on the fireplace. It's very rare for our power to be out for more than 2 days at the most, fortunately. When it does snow here, it generally melts within a couple of days. Which is kind of sad. lol

Quoting Carpy:

We do too, but we always make sure to have 15 gallons of gas for the generator all winter.

Quoting frogbender:

Since we often lose power if there are large snows, we get items that can be easy to cook on a camp stove.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN