Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's in your blizzard survival kit?

Posted by   + Show Post

We're expected to get 12" or so by the time the storm ends, which isn't a ton in the grand scheme (hello, 3 feet in Boston!) but I still made sure to load up on supplies.

My must-have item(s) are baking ingredients, since baking doubles as a fun activity as well as a tasty treat in the end. I actually grabbed a whoopie pie kit this time, just for something different (and easy). :)

What do you stock up on?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

books, soup fixin's and a list of movies for on-demand

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

vodka

christina0607
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM
We don't, I live just outside Boston. We get snow at this ime of year. Were used to it.
LisaSmock
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Living in Sacramento CA
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

No kidding, didn't we have something like 92 inches last year?? There's no such thing as a snow day at the schools here, ice days yes, snow days no. I've had to drive the kids in to school on mornings with 8 inches of fresh snow on the roads LOL.

Quoting wickedfiress:

This. 12 inches is nothing.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I don't stock up on anything. I live in a snow state. We just get out our shovels and snow blowers and move on with our lives.

veronicamw
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

This

Quoting UpSheRises:

I don't stock up on anything. I live in a snow state. We just get out our shovels and snow blowers and move on with our lives.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I get what you are saying...we have very few actual snow days....if school gets cancelled, it is usually because of ice, not snow or cold.  I have never seen it cancelled because of cold.....I remember waiting for the bus in temps 20 below zero.  The High School that I work at actually requires students to register for not only parking permits for their cars, but they also are required to get permits for their snowmobiles.  Thats when you know you are living in a cold state....lol

Quoting Arroree:

No kidding, didn't we have something like 92 inches last year?? There's no such thing as a snow day at the schools here, ice days yes, snow days no. I've had to drive the kids in to school on mornings with 8 inches of fresh snow on the roads LOL.

Quoting wickedfiress:

This. 12 inches is nothing.

Quoting UpSheRises:

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I stocked up on food last week so we have enough food to get us through until next Friday ( I purchase enough food for 2 weeks).  I also have a few gallons of water,(to use incase of a water main break) flash lights, batteries, and candels (in the event of a power outage). We also have a gas powered genarator, a can full of gas so we can keep the furnace and fridge and freezer running, and we purchase propane for our gas grill so we can cook meals in the event of a power outage (we have an electric stove, and oven).  I also have a small battery operated radio so we can listen for weather reports, and it also gives us something to listen too so we aren't bored.  I also bring out a selection of card and board games to play to pass the time until the power comes back on. 

I live up near Buffalo and we got almost a foot of snow today. The kiddos had school today, but everything shut down this evening. We don't have a driving ban, but the town is advising people to not drive unless it is necessary (going to and from work or a medical emergencey).  The worst of the storm seems to have passed, and we are just getting flurries now.  For all of you ladies who are in the Blizzard areas, stay warm, and stay safe.

CookieMom108
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I don't stock up on anything.  We got 12" so far today and as of 7:15pm eastern time, it's still falling.  We've never lost power during a snow storm but we do have a generator just in case.  

heartnhidin
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I live just south of Boston and we are expected to get thirty inches. I went food shopping yesterday, got extra batteries, a new shovel. Hoping we don't lose power.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured