Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicago Police Want 12 Percent Pay Raise

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 47 Replies

CHICAGO (CBS) — Contract demands by Chicago police officers include much higher pay and something you might not have imagined.

Chicago police are reportedly proposing in negotiations that their pay increase by 12 percent over two years.

The union also wants officers to get extra money because they are required to live in the city.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the union is proposing a residency stipend of $3,000 per officer.

Police also want to pay less for their health insurance and get more money for their uniform allowance.

The Sun-Times reports, officers also want to reach the top of the pay scale after 20 years, rather than the current 25 years.

To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

source

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Now it all makes sense

masonmomma
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
5 moms liked this

86,000 after 25 years!?

They are practically hunted in the city and required to live there!?

They should get raises.

PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I don't know what Chicago's cost of living is like, as I have only ever lived in this one area in SW WA my whole life.  That top pay would be double our median income and be more than enough, like MORE than enough to live off here lol. Chicago is much bigger city though, so I imagine it's probably not much of anything. :( Plus our crime rate is pretty low, especially compared to a city like that.  Scary!

I'm all for anyone getting lower health insurance premiums. Health insurance is so damn expensive it's ridiculous. 

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This is one of the things being fought against in so many cities.   They need to be paying some of their own health premiums and not putting it on the taxpayers.   This is one of the reasons so many cities are going broke.

Quoting PEEK05:

I don't know what Chicago's cost of living is like, as I have only ever lived in this one area in SW WA my whole life.  That top pay would be double our median income and be more than enough, like MORE than enough to live off here lol. Chicago is much bigger city though, so I imagine it's probably not much of anything. :( Plus our crime rate is pretty low, especially compared to a city like that.  Scary!

I'm all for anyone getting lower health insurance premiums. Health insurance is so damn expensive it's ridiculous. 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

All sounds reasonable to me.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?

Quoting candlegal:

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured