Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicago Police Want 12 Percent Pay Raise

Posted by   + Show Post

CHICAGO (CBS) — Contract demands by Chicago police officers include much higher pay and something you might not have imagined.

Chicago police are reportedly proposing in negotiations that their pay increase by 12 percent over two years.

The union also wants officers to get extra money because they are required to live in the city.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the union is proposing a residency stipend of $3,000 per officer.

Police also want to pay less for their health insurance and get more money for their uniform allowance.

The Sun-Times reports, officers also want to reach the top of the pay scale after 20 years, rather than the current 25 years.

To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

source

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The Chicago police force, being slated as no longer wanting to respond to 911 calls is a huge misrepresentation of the truth.

As for what they are seeking, other forces are doing the same. 

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I didn't misrepresent anything.  If you have a problem with the title of the article, take it up with the author.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?

Quoting candlegal:

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I asked you if you thought that police officers deserved higher pay and benefits. You said probably but police officers (Chicago) didn't want respond to 911 calls anymore. That is in fact a misrepresentation in this thread as well as to the other article. I am positive you are intelligent enough to distinguish the difference because you even said they would "only to certain ones."

Quoting candlegal:

I didn't misrepresent anything.  If you have a problem with the title of the article, take it up with the author.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?

Quoting candlegal:

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually I have thought about it and no I don't, at least not in Chicago.  They have one of the highest murder rates in the country so they probably need to get to work and prove they deserve a raise.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I asked you if you thought that police officers deserved higher pay and benefits. You said probably but police officers (Chicago) didn't want respond to 911 calls anymore. That is in fact a misrepresentation in this thread as well as to the other article. I am positive you are intelligent enough to distinguish the difference because you even said they would "only to certain ones."

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
While you are obviously more than entitled to your opinion, it doesn't have anything to do with you misrepresenting Chicago officers not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting candlegal:

Actually I have thought about it and no I don't, at least not in Chicago.  They have one of the highest murder rates in the country so they probably need to get to work and prove they deserve a raise.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Wait I thought people should be happy with a 1% raise?

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Candle, dearest, why are you so hung up on Chicago lately?

I live here, Born and raised. I have never lived anywhere else. Being broke has ZERO to do with union workers and everything to do with corruption. Especially here in Chicago. There is more than enough money to go around. However, there's quite a lot of greedy people who go above and beyond in order to get what they want. Even if it means screwing over the force that protects the city. 

Quoting candlegal:

This is one of the things being fought against in so many cities.   They need to be paying some of their own health premiums and not putting it on the taxpayers.   This is one of the reasons so many cities are going broke.

Quoting PEEK05:

I don't know what Chicago's cost of living is like, as I have only ever lived in this one area in SW WA my whole life.  That top pay would be double our median income and be more than enough, like MORE than enough to live off here lol. Chicago is much bigger city though, so I imagine it's probably not much of anything. :( Plus our crime rate is pretty low, especially compared to a city like that.  Scary!

I'm all for anyone getting lower health insurance premiums. Health insurance is so damn expensive it's ridiculous.  

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

She does that a lot. I already schooled her yesterday in this subject but she's stubborn. Can't change her mind in light of new and more accurate information. 

I live in Chicago. Born and raised. This is an expensive city to live in, as most cities are. The reason for the policy change is the uptick in murders on the south and west sides. Also, this policy is a long time coming. If no one is in immediate danger, there is no reason for a cop to come out. Go to a station and report what happened. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore
Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but I think they deserve it. Chicago is a rough city, and those cops are in serious danger most of the time.

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I hope they get it and other states and cities follow their lead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured