Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chicago Police Want 12 Percent Pay Raise

Posted by   + Show Post

CHICAGO (CBS) — Contract demands by Chicago police officers include much higher pay and something you might not have imagined.

Chicago police are reportedly proposing in negotiations that their pay increase by 12 percent over two years.

The union also wants officers to get extra money because they are required to live in the city.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the union is proposing a residency stipend of $3,000 per officer.

Police also want to pay less for their health insurance and get more money for their uniform allowance.

The Sun-Times reports, officers also want to reach the top of the pay scale after 20 years, rather than the current 25 years.

To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

source

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I am not particularly hung up on Chicago but the media is.   Yes, it has nothing to do with the union, lol

Quoting mehamil1:

Candle, dearest, why are you so hung up on Chicago lately?

I live here, Born and raised. I have never lived anywhere else. Being broke has ZERO to do with union workers and everything to do with corruption. Especially here in Chicago. There is more than enough money to go around. However, there's quite a lot of greedy people who go above and beyond in order to get what they want. Even if it means screwing over the force that protects the city. 

Quoting candlegal:

This is one of the things being fought against in so many cities.   They need to be paying some of their own health premiums and not putting it on the taxpayers.   This is one of the reasons so many cities are going broke.

Quoting PEEK05:

I don't know what Chicago's cost of living is like, as I have only ever lived in this one area in SW WA my whole life.  That top pay would be double our median income and be more than enough, like MORE than enough to live off here lol. Chicago is much bigger city though, so I imagine it's probably not much of anything. :( Plus our crime rate is pretty low, especially compared to a city like that.  Scary!

I'm all for anyone getting lower health insurance premiums. Health insurance is so damn expensive it's ridiculous.  

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

LOL, you scolded me yesterday?   I didn't notice or if I did, I forgot because you have such an impact on me.  I would say if you really live in Chicago, you probably can't see the forest for the trees.

Quoting mehamil1:

She does that a lot. I already schooled her yesterday in this subject but she's stubborn. Can't change her mind in light of new and more accurate information. 

I live in Chicago. Born and raised. This is an expensive city to live in, as most cities are. The reason for the policy change is the uptick in murders on the south and west sides. Also, this policy is a long time coming. If no one is in immediate danger, there is no reason for a cop to come out. Go to a station and report what happened. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore
Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?
Quoting candlegal:

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

lol

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Chicago police don't want to respond to 911 calls anymore? That is a misrepresentation, yes?

Quoting candlegal:

probably but they aren't in the news for not wanting to respond to 911 calls anymore.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I didn't say scold, I said schooled. Educated. Gave you information about what is really going on and yet you continue with the smear campaign. 

I don't give a rats fucking ass about my impact on you. I just don't like it when people talk out of their ass about things they don't know anything about. There is more than enough money in this city. Corruption is what keeps it getting to where it needs to go. Unions do have a role in that corruption. But I will not let you lay the blame fully at their door when there is more going on here. 

There is no forest here. It's a concrete jungle and you have no idea what you are talking about. You are trapped in a well looking up. Only seeing the stars from that view. here in Chicago, I see the sky on the hill. All of it. I live it. Every damn day. I'm related to half the police force here (nature of being Irish). You have no clue what you are talking about. 

Quoting candlegal:

LOL, you scolded me yesterday?   I didn't notice or if I did, I forgot because you have such an impact on me.  I would say if you really live in Chicago, you probably can't see the forest for the trees.

Quoting mehamil1:

She does that a lot. I already schooled her yesterday in this subject but she's stubborn. Can't change her mind in light of new and more accurate information. 

I live in Chicago. Born and raised. This is an expensive city to live in, as most cities are. The reason for the policy change is the uptick in murders on the south and west sides. Also, this policy is a long time coming. If no one is in immediate danger, there is no reason for a cop to come out. Go to a station and report what happened. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

So that's a yes, you were misrepresenting that police officers aren't responding to 911 calls anymore
Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Schooled, scolded, they would both be the same to you.  I have seen plenty of information that contradicts what you have to say.  My brother lives right outside of Chicago and people that I know that live there don't feel the way you do. 

I don't have to smear Chicago, you have people like Rahm Emmanuel and Jessie Jackson that are already doing it, not to mention all those corrupt politicians and unions you have there.

Quoting mehamil1:

I didn't say scold, I said schooled. Educated. Gave you information about what is really going on and yet you continue with the smear campaign. 

I don't give a rats fucking ass about my impact on you. I just don't like it when people talk out of their ass about things they don't know anything about. There is more than enough money in this city. Corruption is what keeps it getting to where it needs to go. Unions do have a role in that corruption. But I will not let you lay the blame fully at their door when there is more going on here. 

There is no forest here. It's a concrete jungle and you have no idea what you are talking about. You are trapped in a well looking up. Only seeing the stars from that view. here in Chicago, I see the sky on the hill. All of it. I live it. Every damn day. I'm related to half the police force here (nature of being Irish). You have no clue what you are talking about. 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Because you know me so well. They are not the same to me. At all. Light years away from each other. I scold my child because he's a child. I don't scold adults. You do not need to be scolded by anyone, most of all me. 

Do you even understand what I'm saying? I don't think you do, otherwise you'd know there isn't much to contradict. But hey, we're human. Humans contradict each other all the time. Nature of our species ability to utilize abject thought. 

Your brother lives in the suburbs. That's not Chicago. I live inside the city. The worlds are completely different. 

How do I feel Candle? Can you articulate what you think I feel? I really want to know. I'm not being snarky. I want to know if you truly have a grasp on what I'm saying here. 

Chicago was built on corruption. I am very well aware of it. My family is full of city workers and I see it all day long. The corruption isn't very well hidden, which is why people go to jail so often. The smearing that I am talking about, and you know I'm talking about, is your misrepresentation of the police departments new policy. You know what you are doing here. Others besides me have pointed it out. It's dishonest. 

And for the record, I didn't vote for either of those guys. As soon as Rahm started running for mayor I knew it was just going to be a changing of the guard. The kingdom that Daley and his father built would stay intact and grow under Rahm. 

Quoting candlegal:

Schooled, scolded, they would both be the same to you.  I have seen plenty of information that contradicts what you have to say.  My brother lives right outside of Chicago and people that I know that live there don't feel the way you do. 

I don't have to smear Chicago, you have people like Rahm Emmanuel and Jessie Jackson that are already doing it, not to mention all those corrupt politicians and unions you have there.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting mehamil1:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Can the city afford to give them a 12% raise? If they don't have the extra money then maybe they should put it on the ballot.

"We are going to give the police a 12% raise, $3000 residence stipend, and pay more of their health insurance by raising your city taxes __% (whatever amount covers the 12%)." After all, the money has to come from somewhere, the citizens should have to pay for it and approve it.

Hubby hasn't gotten a raise in years, in fact everyone had their pay cut by 5-8% a couple years ago yet what they for insurance goes up every year. SIGH

Sagely
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in Chicago.

Hell no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Yes, police, fire, streets and sanitation,  water dept, etc. all required to live in the city. 

Quoting masonmomma:

86,000 after 25 years!?

They are practically hunted in the city and required to live there!?

They should get raises.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

You are phrasing that incorrectly. It is NOT the police who do not WANT to reply. It is the MAYOR and the SUPERINTENENT who say the police will NOT respond. Big huge difference. 

Quoting candlegal:

only to certain ones.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

In other news, police officers in Philly, San Jose, Indianapolis, NYC, etc. are also seeking pay raises. Makes sense police officers would want higher pay and better benefits, no?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN