Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Dakota GOP Proposes a Fee to Get Welfare

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

North Dakota GOP Proposes a Fee to Get Welfare

By Amanda Marcotte
Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:51 EST

I’ve seen a lot of liberals protest drug testing people seeking welfare, but rarely if ever has it been discussed as what I suspect these bills are intended to be: A ban on welfare through back door means. Just as abortion bans are smuggled under feigned concern for “women’s health” and bans on large swaths of Democratic voters are smuggled in as “voter ID” laws, I suspect that people who push for drug testing welfare recipients thought that would end welfare. “They’re all just a bunch of druggies who want money to lay around smoking crack all day,” Republican legislators thought. “No way will welfare recipients pass a drug test.”

Unfortunately, their brilliant plan was rooted in bigotry and not reality, and they soon learned that it doesn’t work. It turns out very few recipients of welfare use drugs. This makes sense to the reality-based community. Of course people subsisting on welfare don’t use drugs like, say, middle class white people do, because drugs cost money.  Single mothers raising kids on welfare don’t have, you know, money. Derp de derp.

Well, now legislators in North Dakota have taken this realization—people who need welfare don’t have money!—and figured out how to use it to make that back door ban on welfare work.

Several Republican lawmakers are pushing the measure, which also would require applicants of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to pay for the drug testing themselves before getting assistance.

Drug tests cost money. People who need welfare don’t have money. Forcing people to pay to get welfare means they won’t get it. It’s basically a poll tax on welfare.

I bet a lot of Republicans are kicking themselves right now. “Of course that’s how you starve needy children! Charge their mothers a fee to get welfare! Why didn’t we think of that?!”

Assholes.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/category/pandagon/

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Worst.....idea.....ever.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

This does not surprise me.  Nor will the approval of some in this group.

Lets see how well this works.  Some will find it works out well, never mind the children that could be harmed along the way.  

mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This doesn't surprise me at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Florida already requires this and they are reimbursed when the drug test comes back negative

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting soonergirl980:

Florida already requires this and they are reimbursed when the drug test comes back negative

I still would be against that because it requires these people to come up with the money in the first place. 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

ehhh I don't agree or disagree with it. I think there are much better ways to get people off welfare like limiting the time they can collect and actually sticking to it.

I personally would like to see a 2 year limit period. End of story without being able to prove some sort of true disability causing them to be unable to work then they are on their own.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting soonergirl980:

I still would be against that because it requires these people to come up with the money in the first place. 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

They tried this in our state and it failed. Dumb idea.

I will say a lot of the meth heads I meet are on welfare. They make money by selling meth, duh. Plus meth makes people promiscuous and stupid so there are usually a lot of meth babies who have a mommy and daddy on meth and making money selling meth and thus are available for welfare. This is just what I've seen.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Exactly.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

I will say a lot of the meth heads I meet are on welfare. They make money by selling meth, duh. Plus meth makes people promiscuous and stupid so there are usually a lot of meth babies who have a mommy and daddy on meth and making money selling meth and thus are available for welfare. This is just what I've seen.

That is so sad.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The majority probably aren't on drugs but I'm not deluded enough to think that no one on PA is on drugs. Of course some of them are. It is sad though.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting furbabymum:

That is so sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured