Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

An OB-GYN in St. Louis is under fire after posting a Facebook status about one of her patients. According to KMOV, Amy Dunbar, a physician at Mercy Hospital, was so frustrated with an expecting mother's lateness that she ranted about it online.

facebook image

When others urged her to cancel her patient's induction, she added in the comments that she "put up" with this behavior because of a prior stillbirth. Though Dunbar didn't reveal the patient's name, controversy erupted after someone posted a screenshot of the status and the comments to the hospital's "Mercy Moms To Be" Facebook page.

Heather Tiedemann was appalled by Dunbar's behavior and posted a comment on the Facebook page:

She should not be allowed to work with patients if she callously talks about them on her own facebook page... As a woman who has had a full term still birth if I found out my doctor was posting that information on her page and other doctors were joking about it I would go straight to the top of hospital leadership to ensure this doctor was fired.

More than 50 people have "liked" Tiedemann's post, but another commenter Kerry Ann Colombo defended Dunbar stating, that she is an "amazing" doctor who "bends over backwards" for her patients. "If someone is seriously THAT late to all of their appointments I think making a sarcastic remark on facebook is no big deal in the scheme of things!" Colombo wrote.

Dunbar remains on staff, despite calls for her firing, and the hospital posted the following on Facebook:

"Our physician leadership has already called Dr. Dunbar. Her comments were definitely inappropriate. We are also reviewing them to determine if they violated privacy issues, etc. That process requires a more thorough review, but we will determine the appropriate response as quickly as possible. In the meantime, know that our physician organization holds its members to the highest standards and strives to improve our service and clinical care through that process."

In 2011, the Boston Globe reported on previous cases where healthcare professionals have gotten into trouble for posting information about their patients on Facebook and noted that some hospitals have begun to take precautionary measures. The Children's Hospital Boston, for example, published a six-page social media policy for its staff.

Bradley H. Crotty, a physician who has studied the use of social media in health care, told the Globe that if there's any question whether something is appropriate to share, it's better not to risk it. “We first have to put ourselves in the shoes of the patient we may be discussing and then reflect if what we’re saying is appropriate," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/06/amy-dunbar-obgyn_n_2630823.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Meh, she did not name the patient. 

I can imagine it is frustrating when a patient is continually late, lacks in the ability to communicate and perhaps the doc was fed up.

My thoughts exactly.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be.  She did not name names.  She did not give any identifying information except that the patient was having an induction and had a prior stillbirth.  That could still be hundreds of women.  I don't think it was the wisest move to post something like that on FB but it's certainly not worth losing her practice over.

Seriously - who the hell is 3 hours late for their own damn induction?  How dense and self-absorbed does someone have to be?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Quoting eykelley:

Eh. I don't see the big deal. To be honest. If the doc needs a vent moment... As long as no personal info was shared, I'd let it go.

yup

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My OB never made me wait more than 20 minutes and most times my wait was about 10 minutes.  Honestly, when I had my babies and was part of an online group similar to this, I was shocked that women were regularly waiting an hour or more.

Quoting tooptimistic:

She didn't name the patient, so not really a big deal.

Know what I find comical though, how many times she did make patients wait for hours? When I was induced with my second child my doctor was late and I waited two hours before they started inducing me.   

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be.  She did not name names.  She did not give any identifying information except that the patient was having an induction and had a prior stillbirth.  That could still be hundreds of women.  I don't think it was the wisest move to post something like that on FB but it's certainly not worth losing her practice over.

Seriously - who the hell is 3 hours late for their own damn induction?  How dense and self-absorbed does someone have to be?

Exactly.

How dense and self-absorbed does someone have to be?

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM
She's complaining about someone being late and not showing up for Appointments... It's not like she named the patient or said she smells like sour milk and described her vagina...

In my opinion this isn't a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Whether she revealed the identity of the patient or not.. Commenting about a patient on Facebook, a very public site, is inappropriate, immature and beyond unprofessional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

My last two the OB was great!!  With my six  year old, the OB practice overbooked regularly.  Waiting two hours was typical, but if you were five minutes late, it was a $25 charge and they would reschedule you.  It was also $100 to find out if you were having a girl or boy if you wanted to know during your sonogram.  Needless to say with the last two, I switched doctors!!

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

My OB never made me wait more than 20 minutes and most times my wait was about 10 minutes.  Honestly, when I had my babies and was part of an online group similar to this, I was shocked that women were regularly waiting an hour or more.

Quoting tooptimistic:

She didn't name the patient, so not really a big deal.

Know what I find comical though, how many times she did make patients wait for hours? When I was induced with my second child my doctor was late and I waited two hours before they started inducing me.   

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Whether she revealed the identity of the patient or not.. Commenting about a patient on Facebook, a very public site, is inappropriate, immature and beyond unprofessional.

Her page is only as public as she chooses.

Although, I do realize that, most times, any thing can be found.

I can't help but wonder a bit about the 'friend' who tattled on her.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's going to vent about patients, even not naming names, she needs better FB privacy settings.  I agree it's not the most professional. 

As a patient, I loathe doctors who consistently run 20, 30, and 60 minutes late, and mostly this is not because of patient emergencies but because they double- and triple-book patients.  They really don't care that about the inconvenience to the patient.  I can't help but laugh a bit at how indignant the doctor is at receiving the kind of treatment her colleagues (and, I bet, she) dole out to patients every day.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN