Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

An OB-GYN in St. Louis is under fire after posting a Facebook status about one of her patients. According to KMOV, Amy Dunbar, a physician at Mercy Hospital, was so frustrated with an expecting mother's lateness that she ranted about it online.

facebook image

When others urged her to cancel her patient's induction, she added in the comments that she "put up" with this behavior because of a prior stillbirth. Though Dunbar didn't reveal the patient's name, controversy erupted after someone posted a screenshot of the status and the comments to the hospital's "Mercy Moms To Be" Facebook page.

Heather Tiedemann was appalled by Dunbar's behavior and posted a comment on the Facebook page:

She should not be allowed to work with patients if she callously talks about them on her own facebook page... As a woman who has had a full term still birth if I found out my doctor was posting that information on her page and other doctors were joking about it I would go straight to the top of hospital leadership to ensure this doctor was fired.

More than 50 people have "liked" Tiedemann's post, but another commenter Kerry Ann Colombo defended Dunbar stating, that she is an "amazing" doctor who "bends over backwards" for her patients. "If someone is seriously THAT late to all of their appointments I think making a sarcastic remark on facebook is no big deal in the scheme of things!" Colombo wrote.

Dunbar remains on staff, despite calls for her firing, and the hospital posted the following on Facebook:

"Our physician leadership has already called Dr. Dunbar. Her comments were definitely inappropriate. We are also reviewing them to determine if they violated privacy issues, etc. That process requires a more thorough review, but we will determine the appropriate response as quickly as possible. In the meantime, know that our physician organization holds its members to the highest standards and strives to improve our service and clinical care through that process."

In 2011, the Boston Globe reported on previous cases where healthcare professionals have gotten into trouble for posting information about their patients on Facebook and noted that some hospitals have begun to take precautionary measures. The Children's Hospital Boston, for example, published a six-page social media policy for its staff.

Bradley H. Crotty, a physician who has studied the use of social media in health care, told the Globe that if there's any question whether something is appropriate to share, it's better not to risk it. “We first have to put ourselves in the shoes of the patient we may be discussing and then reflect if what we’re saying is appropriate," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/06/amy-dunbar-obgyn_n_2630823.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The patient is rude and inconsiderate.

Both the patient's and the physician's behaviors were wrong.

I would have bypassed her and billed her for being late.

Physicians can also fire patients for untoward (particularly repeated] behaviors.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting eviesmom453:

I thinks it's totally inappropriate and unprofessional.

What about the patient and her actions?

I agree this doctor should have used better judgement.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

The patient is rude and inconsiderate.

Both the patient's and the physician's behaviors were wrong.

I would have bypassed her and billed her for being late.

Physicians can also fire patients for untoward (particularly repeated] behaviors.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting eviesmom453:

I thinks it's totally inappropriate and unprofessional.

What about the patient and her actions?

I agree this doctor should have used better judgement.

Agreed.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I saw a tweet from an SICU nurse talking, while at work mind you, about a patient continually saying that he was having trouble breathing. Her exact comment about it was "Maybe if you STFU for 5 minutes you wont be" 

Totally inappropriate and unprofessional IMO

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to wait on my doc before GIVING BIRTH!!  I was ready to push and they told me to wait, the doc isn't here yet.  WTF???   He was called as soon as I went into labor but didn't leave for the hospital until I was 9 cm!

Sorry just wanted to share that.  As for the OP, I think the patient is overreacting, as she was not named, and she WAS inconsiderate, however the doc should have put more thought into what she was doing before venting about a patient that could have been traced back to her.  People say some dumb shit on FB...

Quoting tooptimistic:

She didn't name the patient, so not really a big deal.

Know what I find comical though, how many times she did make patients wait for hours? When I was induced with my second child my doctor was late and I waited two hours before they started inducing me.   

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

LOL.. like that can wait.. :)

Hope he made it there quickly!!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I had to wait on my doc before GIVING BIRTH!!  I was ready to push and they told me to wait, the doc isn't here yet.  WTF???   He was called as soon as I went into labor but didn't leave for the hospital until I was 9 cm!

Sorry just wanted to share that.  As for the OP, I think the patient is overreacting, as she was not named, and she WAS inconsiderate, however the doc should have put more thought into what she was doing before venting about a patient that could have been traced back to her.  People say some dumb shit on FB...

Quoting tooptimistic:

Know what I find comical though, how many times she did make patients wait for hours? When I was induced with my second child my doctor was late and I waited two hours before they started inducing me.   

steffielou_who
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a big deal.. No name was mentioned.. Believe me, I have vented about idiots in my job too!

lga1965
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Meh, she did not name the patient. 

I can imagine it is frustrating when a patient is continually late, lacks in the ability to communicate and perhaps the doc was fed up.

I would be too!  That is just rude to always be so late. And since she didn't give the patient's name,I see no problem with what she posted. The patient needs a wake up call.( Or a "grow up" call )

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Horrible.

I am going to pull the old lady card here and say this nurse had to a younger person- I think those who are older and who have navigated much of their lives without instantaneous, social media would likely never dream of typing and sending such a message.

Think it, talk about it at home with your SO, yes,  but on the Internet? NO.

Would you make a poster of such and stand on a busy street for all to read? No, not likely. The Internet is more far reaching.

Quoting fireangel5:

I saw a tweet from an SICU nurse talking, while at work mind you, about a patient continually saying that he was having trouble breathing. Her exact comment about it was "Maybe if you STFU for 5 minutes you wont be" 

Totally inappropriate and unprofessional IMO

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

He did.  And I wanted to strangle  him.  Baby #2 was a homebirth.  My midwife was there within 20 minutes of the call. 

Quoting tooptimistic:

LOL.. like that can wait.. :)

Hope he made it there quickly!!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting tooptimistic:

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

The only time my OB was ever late was when she was called to the hospital to deliver a baby or was called to do an emergencey c-section. Usually when that happens she will have me see one of the other doctors on staff at her practice.  Usually when I have to wait long periods of time to see my doctor, it is because of rude patients like the one the doctor was complaining about.  I remember once going in for a routine exam, and was told I had to wait 30mins, because another patient came in 30 mins late and flat out refused to leave without seeing the doctor.  My doctor is great, but she is a bit of a pushover when it comes to letting paitents get their way. Everytime I go to an appointment, there are at least 5 or 6 people walking in late.  I can understand being a few mins late, because of weather or traffic, but I have heard a few people come in and appologize for being late, because they just had to stop for coffee (they practically announce it to the entire waiting room). Wth.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)