Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Amy Dunbar, OB-GYN, In Hot Water After Posting Comment About Patient On Facebook (PHOTO)

An OB-GYN in St. Louis is under fire after posting a Facebook status about one of her patients. According to KMOV, Amy Dunbar, a physician at Mercy Hospital, was so frustrated with an expecting mother's lateness that she ranted about it online.

facebook image

When others urged her to cancel her patient's induction, she added in the comments that she "put up" with this behavior because of a prior stillbirth. Though Dunbar didn't reveal the patient's name, controversy erupted after someone posted a screenshot of the status and the comments to the hospital's "Mercy Moms To Be" Facebook page.

Heather Tiedemann was appalled by Dunbar's behavior and posted a comment on the Facebook page:

She should not be allowed to work with patients if she callously talks about them on her own facebook page... As a woman who has had a full term still birth if I found out my doctor was posting that information on her page and other doctors were joking about it I would go straight to the top of hospital leadership to ensure this doctor was fired.

More than 50 people have "liked" Tiedemann's post, but another commenter Kerry Ann Colombo defended Dunbar stating, that she is an "amazing" doctor who "bends over backwards" for her patients. "If someone is seriously THAT late to all of their appointments I think making a sarcastic remark on facebook is no big deal in the scheme of things!" Colombo wrote.

Dunbar remains on staff, despite calls for her firing, and the hospital posted the following on Facebook:

"Our physician leadership has already called Dr. Dunbar. Her comments were definitely inappropriate. We are also reviewing them to determine if they violated privacy issues, etc. That process requires a more thorough review, but we will determine the appropriate response as quickly as possible. In the meantime, know that our physician organization holds its members to the highest standards and strives to improve our service and clinical care through that process."

In 2011, the Boston Globe reported on previous cases where healthcare professionals have gotten into trouble for posting information about their patients on Facebook and noted that some hospitals have begun to take precautionary measures. The Children's Hospital Boston, for example, published a six-page social media policy for its staff.

Bradley H. Crotty, a physician who has studied the use of social media in health care, told the Globe that if there's any question whether something is appropriate to share, it's better not to risk it. “We first have to put ourselves in the shoes of the patient we may be discussing and then reflect if what we’re saying is appropriate," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/06/amy-dunbar-obgyn_n_2630823.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Replies (91-98):
jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
It's easy to tell the difference between freshly soiled undies and chronically soiled undies.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting jllcali:

She should have done what many people in the medical field do when patients are pains in our ass, make jokes or vent in the break room or other areas patients family or friends cannot hear. (NOT the cafeteria or FB)

P.S. Your mother was right when she told you to always wear clean underwear because if you get into an accident in dirty undies, the hospital staff will make fun of you.

Ah, but what if the undies got dirty because of the accident?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_ClearFruit_
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Tisk tisk. She obviously doesn't know this woman's situation yet she goes on a rant about her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM

There's no identifying information in the post, it should be fine.  Nurses blog all the time, and are careful not to give out any identifiers.  Some of the nurses I have followed don't even share what state they're in, none share what hospital, nothing.  And if it's because of the "can I show up late to the delivery" comment, well, I think anybody with a brain knows that she's being facetious.  She shouldn't be fired, or even reprimanded.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I've had around 6 different OB's be a part of my care with one pregnancy or another.  The ONLY time I had to wait more than 10 minutes was when a woman went into spontaneous labor during an ultrasound and she was having twins, and the staff and doctors had to coordinate care.  The only reason I knew this was because I met the woman 2 weeks later when she was there for postpartum care and told me what happened.  I put two and two together.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

My OB never made me wait more than 20 minutes and most times my wait was about 10 minutes.  Honestly, when I had my babies and was part of an online group similar to this, I was shocked that women were regularly waiting an hour or more.

Quoting tooptimistic:

She didn't name the patient, so not really a big deal.

Know what I find comical though, how many times she did make patients wait for hours? When I was induced with my second child my doctor was late and I waited two hours before they started inducing me.   

babiesbabybaby development

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM

The patient wasn't named, but then again it probably isn't something appropriate for a doctor to post on facebook. Wrong, no. 

3JuJu3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:16 AM

My problem with this is that it is almost routine that doctors are late to their appointments for whatever reason.  I have never seen a doctor who actually saw me within 15 minutes of my scheduled appointment time.  Why is their time more important than mine?  I understand that schedules get backed up, but so does life.  I don't know if she should or shouldn't have posted this on fb, but I don't sympathize with her for having to deal with one late patient. 

3JuJu3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM

What the hell does guns have to do with this conversation? 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Ahhh...the society of entitlement.  Where we can misbehave and never fear being held accountable.  We can throw temper tantrums and demand our way and the person that stands up to us gets punished.  And we think banning guns is the answer....

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting 3JuJu3:

What the hell does guns have to do with this conversation? 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Ahhh...the society of entitlement.  Where we can misbehave and never fear being held accountable.  We can throw temper tantrums and demand our way and the person that stands up to us gets punished.  And we think banning guns is the answer....

We live in this politically charged environment where we have to be tolerant and nice.  Rather than hold people accountable, we instead ban guns.  It's stupid.  This OBGYN did nothing wrong except vent about an irresponsible, inconsiderate ass.....and she got fired.  Ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)