Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this the beginning of guns being removed from citizens, or is it a smart step to protecting people from mentally unstable people?

Posted by   + Show Post

SALT LAKE CITY — A new bill being considered in the Utah State Legislature would let people get guns out of their homes to avoid incidences of gun violence.

Rep. Dixon Pitcher’s HB121 creates a “safe harbor” where people can voluntarily surrender their firearms to local police for up to 60 days.

“You can deposit the gun, short term, to get through an emergency,” said Pitcher, R-Ogden. “That’s what the safe harbor bill does for firearms.”

Pitcher said police would register the gun and keep it safe.

“It provides a platform if there’s emergencies in a family — let’s say there’s somebody who feels like they’re suicidal or they have someone with a mental illness or a mental dispute or some type of emergency,” said Pitcher. “Under the conditions we have right now, this is a good time to get the firearm out of the house.”

Pitcher said the bill came out of the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. The Ogden lawmaker wondered if circumstances could have changed if the shooter’s mother had been able to get her guns out of the home, like his bill would do.

“It saves lives,” he said.

Clark Aposhian of the Utah Shooting Sports Council said he liked the bill “in concept,” but said he had concerns with the bill. He wanted to ensure that no one was surrendering someone else’s firearm. Pitcher said his bill would not allow police to accept someone else’s gun.

Aposhian said he also had concerns about a provision in the bill that allowed police to keep the firearm if it went unclaimed after a certain period of time.

“Let’s see if we can get something in the statute that yes, protects someone who may be temporarily despondent and shouldn’t have access to a firearm, but protects their rights as well,” he said.

HB121 is expected to have a hearing in the coming weeks

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Quoting mikesmom65270:

It sounds like a good idea to me.  I think the paranoid would think it was the beginning of taking all guns away.

Exactly!  Some of them have already objected to this.  :-)

I think its a good plan.

I see it as a first step in preventing mentally ill people from shooting up schools,movie theaters, their own families,etc.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM
My thought was of the abused turning in his / her spouse's weapon as they are making a run for it. She isn't going back for the gun and the husband would likely have to answer a lot of questions if he tried to get it back. We took the guns away from a violent family member. It slowed her down but didn't stop her getting more.

Quoting EireLass:

If there are no reports of domestic violence between that husband/wife, and no restraining order in place, there's no legal reason not to give them back to her.

If she is already a victim of DV, chances are she's not going to get rid of his guns, she knows what he would do to her if he found them missing. Remember most DV cases are not reported.

Quoting LauraKW:

If a person goes to the police with a gun and says "My spouse is going to kill me with this if you don't take it" the police will not refuse to take that weapon. The difference being in this instance that gun will likely not be returned.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

How? It's not likely an abuser will voluntarily surrender his/her guns, and their spouse won't be legally able to because it doesn't belong to them.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I could see where this would be of great use in domestic violence and abuse situations.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I wish more had the guts to leave/run away.

Quoting LauraKW:

My thought was of the abused turning in his / her spouse's weapon as they are making a run for it. She isn't going back for the gun and the husband would likely have to answer a lot of questions if he tried to get it back. We took the guns away from a violent family member. It slowed her down but didn't stop her getting more.
Quoting EireLass:

If there are no reports of domestic violence between that husband/wife, and no restraining order in place, there's no legal reason not to give them back to her.If she is already a victim of DV, chances are she's not going to get rid of his guns, she knows what he would do to her if he found them missing. Remember most DV cases are not reported.

Quoting LauraKW:

If a person goes to the police with a gun and says "My spouse is going to kill me with this if you don't take it" the police will not refuse to take that weapon. The difference being in this instance that gun will likely not be returned.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

How? It's not likely an abuser will voluntarily surrender his/her guns, and their spouse won't be legally able to because it doesn't belong to them.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I could see where this would be of great use in domestic violence and abuse situations.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM
If only...

In my family my mother was the abuser. She nearly killed my father.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

If there are no reports of domestic violence between that husband/wife, and no restraining order in place, there's no legal reason not to give them back to her.If she is already a victim of DV, chances are she's not going to get rid of his guns, she knows what he would do to her if he found them missing. Remember most DV cases are not reported.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

PamR
by Pam on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

The key word here is "voluntarily."

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

And growing up was this 'the secret'? You just hid it from the rest of the world? Did Dad leave? Oh boy....I know all to well about living in chaotic families.

Quoting LauraKW:

If only...

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM
"He wanted to ensure that no one was surrendering someone else’s firearm. Pitcher said his bill would not allow police to accept someone else’s gun."

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

If there are no reports of domestic violence between that husband/wife, and no restraining order in place, there's no legal reason not to give them back to her.

If she is already a victim of DV, chances are she's not going to get rid of his guns, she knows what he would do to her if he found them missing. Remember most DV cases are not reported.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I don't think she became physical until after we all grew up and left the house. I'm not positive but I also believe they were both older, maybe 60 or so. I wouldn't swear to that but that is when we started noticing the bruises and such. There were plausible excuses for a long time - he fell (he has Parkinson's), a motor he was working on slipped and partially fell on his chest. it started to become more overt through the years and we had her hospitalized several times. Dad would never leave her, he would still be there if we hadnt removed him. Or he would be dead. They have been married over 50 years, lived in that same spot for nearly 40 years.

Quoting EireLass:

And growing up was this 'the secret'? You just hid it from the rest of the world? Did Dad leave? Oh boy....I know all to well about living in chaotic families.

Quoting LauraKW:

If only...

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM
But, this bill makes it to where one can't turn in a gun that belongs to someone else.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
If the gun isn't registered how do you know who it belongs to? Isn't that a big issue with the NRA, not having to register guns? How do you know if the gun is mine or my husband's if I take it in? How do you know I didn't buy it from some guy when I lived in Jersey?

Quoting Jack_Squat:

But, this bill makes it to where one can't turn in a gun that belongs to someone else.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured