Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama Waives Bush Law Banning Child Soldiers

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 30 Replies

Obama Waives Bush Law Banning Child Soldiers

Friday, 8 February 2013

Here’s a headline we’ll guarantee you simply won’t find in the mainstream media –

On October 3, 2008, President George W. Bush signed into law “Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008,” a law that made it a federal crime to recruit or use soldiers under the age of 15. The law also gave the United States authority to “prosecute, deport or deny entry to individuals who have knowingly recruited children as soldiers.”

Link

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
What the heck?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting ramonafrog:

What the heck?

That is what I said... I didn't even know there was a law like that, and that there was and Obama is getting rid of it made my jaw hit the ground... wtf you know.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM
O my wow!!
ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this
Honestly, at this point, I'm not shocked by anything that man says or does. I pretty much expect all things stupid from him

Quoting Hippie.Gypsy:

Quoting ramonafrog:

What the heck?

That is what I said... I didn't even know there was a law like that, and that there was and Obama is getting rid of it made my jaw hit the ground... wtf you know.

lga1965
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
4 moms liked this

http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/learn/globalissues-childprotection-conflict-bill

The Child Soldier Prevention Act of 2007, sponsored by Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Sam Brownback (R-KS), is designed to encourage governments to disarm, demobilize and rehabilitate child soldiers from government forces and government-supported militias.

Using the Department of State’s Country Reports on Human Rights as a barometer, this bill would place limits on the provision of U.S. International Military Education and Training, Foreign Military Financing and other defense-related assistance in our foreign operations programs for countries in violation of the bill’s standards

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/01/us_record_on_child_soldiers_mixed/

President Obama again exerted pressure on Congo to end use of child soldiers, but Yemen gets a free pass

lga1965
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The President is not going to eliminate ths altogether. He is still allowing funding to the prevention of child soldiers in some countries, but as was said in one article I posted above, but for some reason Yemen gets a pass. So, please don't think he is tossing out the whole thing.

It pays to read carefuly.

I'm not sure why Yemen gets a free pass.

cLanief
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I love you

Lol

Quoting ramonafrog:

Honestly, at this point, I'm not shocked by anything that man says or does. I pretty much expect all things stupid from him

Quoting Hippie.Gypsy:

Quoting ramonafrog:

What the heck?

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

How do bills that are signed into law in our country affect the practices of other countries?  How does the US get to enforce these things in Congo?  The POTUS is not signing bills in America that govern the world, those bills signed affect Americans.  

Quoting lga1965:

The President is not going to eliminate ths altogether. He is still allowing funding to the prevention of child soldiers in some countries, but as was said in one article I posted above, but for some reason Yemen gets a pass. So, please don't think he is tossing out the whole thing.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Quoting lga1965:

But it makes no sense to give some countries (especially countries that are unstable) a pass on this. It is disconcerning.
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jlo1313:

It stops the US from sending aid to countries that use child soldiers. We cat tell them what to do, but we sure as heck don't have to fund them when they choose a barbaric path.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)