Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama Waives Bush Law Banning Child Soldiers

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama Waives Bush Law Banning Child Soldiers

Friday, 8 February 2013

Here’s a headline we’ll guarantee you simply won’t find in the mainstream media –

On October 3, 2008, President George W. Bush signed into law “Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008,” a law that made it a federal crime to recruit or use soldiers under the age of 15. The law also gave the United States authority to “prosecute, deport or deny entry to individuals who have knowingly recruited children as soldiers.”

Link

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting lga1965:

The President is not going to eliminate ths altogether. He is still allowing funding to the prevention of child soldiers in some countries, but as was said in one article I posted above, but for some reason Yemen gets a pass. So, please don't think he is tossing out the whole thing.

It pays to read carefuly.

I'm not sure why Yemen gets a free pass.

But it makes no sense to give some countries (especially countries that are unstable) a pass on this. It is disconcerning.

I know it makes no sense. But at least, we have to know it is not being  totally eliminated ...the OP made it look like the President is throwing out the whole thing.

By the way, did you notice that this law was first sponsored by two senators and not created by George Bush? He signed it into law and that was all. The OP's post says it was Bush's law...it wasn't.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Before Obama gutted the law these people would not be able to come to the US without facing criminal charges.  It helped to prevent us from being a safe haven for them.

I can think of NO good reason for him to touch the law.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
The law wasn't / isn't about child soldiers in the US as there are already laws in place governing the age limit for the military. The law is regarding the aid we give to other countries that would use child soldiers. I haven't read the law so I'm not sure of the wording to exclude Yemen from the legalities, but I assume the rationale has something to do with keeping our military access to their waterways and keeping an "ally" in the region.

Quoting jlo1313:

How do bills that are signed into law in our country affect the practices of other countries?  How does the US get to enforce these things in Congo?  The POTUS is not signing bills in America that govern the world, those bills signed affect Americans.  

Quoting lga1965:

The President is not going to eliminate ths altogether. He is still allowing funding to the prevention of child soldiers in some countries, but as was said in one article I posted above, but for some reason Yemen gets a pass. So, please don't think he is tossing out the whole thing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry buy your information is incorrect.  Here's the actual memorandum (signed in Sept 2012 and posted on Whitehouse.gov

Presidential Memorandum -- Presidential Determination with respect to the Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF STATE

SUBJECT: Determination with Respect to the Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008

Pursuant to section 404 of the Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008 (CSPA) (title IV, Public Law 110-457), I hereby determine that it is in the national interest of the United States to waive the application of the prohibition in section 404(a) of the CSPA with respect to Libya, South Sudan, and Yemen; and further determine that it is in the national interest of the United States to waive in part the application of the prohibition in section 404(a) of the CSPA with respect to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, to allow for continued provision of International Military Education and Training funds and nonlethal Excess Defense Articles, and the issuance of licenses for direct commercial sales of U.S. origin defense articles; and I hereby waive such provisions accordingly.

You are authorized and directed to submit this determination to the Congress, along with the accompanying Memorandum of Justification, and to publish the determination in the Federal Register.

BARACK OBAMA

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/09/28/presidential-memorandum-presidential-determination-respect-child-soldier

The reason why he is waiving these sancions, which would include dropping military aid for these countries, is because our government wants to continue to send them aid to increase US interests in security in that reigion.  He has done this for the past 3 years in a row.  There is definitely a debate here, but lets keep it based on facts and not some crazy exaggerations.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It's about funding. Money being sent.

Quoting jlo1313:

How do bills that are signed into law in our country affect the practices of other countries?  How does the US get to enforce these things in Congo?  The POTUS is not signing bills in America that govern the world, those bills signed affect Americans.  

Quoting lga1965:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

That isn't what he changed.  He is sending money to these countries and so used this order to nullify the sanctions against them.  

The reason is that he wants to protect us interests and security by sending these people money.  If there are sanctions he can't.

He is basically taking away the sanctions in Yemen, Libya, and South Sudan, so he can send them money.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Before Obama gutted the law these people would not be able to come to the US without facing criminal charges.  It helped to prevent us from being a safe haven for them.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

The links I posted refer to other countries. I don't quite get why it was created. How does this effect Americans when it designed to protect children from being drafted as soldiers in other countries such as the Congo.....?And why should we be protecting other countries? Is it any of our business?

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting lga1965:

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am assuming there is a good reason that he is sending them money. I haven't been watching as much news lately, or television in general, for that matter. 

And LMFAO at the site that this "article" came from! It helps if news actually comes from credible sites, not ones that are, for all intensive purposes, opinions.

Quote:

Hello and welcome to Truth Zone - A place where you can speak your truth, freely and openly, within a community of people who will accept you for who you are and how you treat others rather than just on the basis of your beliefs and opinions alone. This is an open-minded place.

We are an all-inclusive site...diversity and controversy are welcome here. Whether you wish to talk­ about the truth move­ment and altern­at­ive news and opin­ions, or you just feel like hav­ing a friendly chat & a bit of fun, we cater for it all.

Any topic is up for discussion on Truth Zone, just as long as it is carried out in an atmosphere of mutual respect. That is really all we ask. Our site and forums are moderated in a fair and impartial manner for the benefit of all our members and the well-being of the site as a whole.

Our aim is to create an atmosphere where everyone is included and may express their views and opinions openly. We will also expect our members to be responsible for their own actions and help us create a vibrant community by policing themselves.

Quoting stacymomof2:

That isn't what he changed.  He is sending money to these countries and so used this order to nullify the sanctions against them.  

The reason is that he wants to protect us interests and security by sending these people money.  If there are sanctions he can't.

He is basically taking away the sanctions in Yemen, Libya, and South Sudan, so he can send them money.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Wha?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You highlighted the point... YOUR (the peoples) truth... opinions or not, its coming from something other than MSM... and they do use MSM sites on the website as well. MSM does a lot of repeat from one to the next, and a lot of censoring, and editing...when you want the truth you need to talk to people who are on the ground or go there yourself, I think that is what the introduction is getting at (get people in the middle of it all to stand up and speak, give them a voice, etc...).

One of the members there, I think they are a moderator, has written articles as well.

You cannot build up credibility by solely showing one side of things ALL the time. You have to bring in different view points and different people from around the world. The truth is subjective, the truth can change from one witness to another who had different view points of the situation...one saw it from the start and saw such and such happen, while the other didn't see the start of it but also saw such and such happen, therefor both their views (opinions if you want to call it that) of the same incident will not be identical, but they are both the truth.

Just saying, not trying to start a debate or argument or anything.

Quoting frogbender:

And LMFAO at the site that this "article" came from! It helps if news actually comes from credible sites, not ones that are, for all intensive purposes, opinions.

Quote:

Hello and welcome to Truth Zone - A place where you can speak your truth, freely and openly, within a community of people who will accept you for who you are and how you treat others rather than just on the basis of your beliefs and opinions alone. This is an open-minded place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured