Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The More Mammograms You Get The More Harm They Do

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

www.wakingtimes.com/2013/02/08/confirmed...e-more-harm-they-do/

Confirmed: The More Mammograms You Get The More Harm They Do

Mammograms are in the news again, and it doesn’t look good for those who continue to advocate using them to “detect cancer early” in asymptomatic populations. The science increasingly runs directly counter to the screening guidelines produced by both governmental and nongovernmental health organizations claiming to be advocates for women’s health.

Remember that only last November, the New England Journal of Medicine published a shocking analysis of the past 30 years of breast screening in the US, finding that 1.3 million women were overdiagnosed and overtreated for breast cancer – euphemisms for misdiagnosed and mistreated.1

This finding, released cunningly from scientific embargo to the media on the eve of Thanksgiving, was so devastating in its implications that many either did not understand its meaning, or could not bear to accept the truth that the quarter of a century clarion call of breast cancer awareness month – get your annual mammogram or lose your life! – caused more unnecessary suffering, pain and harm to women than it is possible to calculate. The only calculable dimension of this world-historical failure is the billions of dollars that were made in the process of converting healthy, asymptomatic women into “patients”, and if fortunate enough to make it through treatment, “survivors”.

Now, a new study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, finds that those women who follow the American Cancer Society’s guidelines for the early detection of breast cancer, namely, annual screening for women 40 or older, are not only receiving no additional protection against aggressive breast cancer, but are experiencing greater harm through increased rates of false positives and unnecessary biopsies.

continue reading

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

My Grandmother had breast cancer and needed a double radical mastectomy. My mom has abnormal breast cells and with every mamogram is flagged for a biopsy. She has never had cancer though. At 31 I found a lump and a mamogram was ordered. A subsequent biopsy was ordered. No cancer, simply fibrocystic breasts. I am in the tough position of having a family history of breast cancer, but also cystic breasts which make detecting cancer hard. 

Honestly, I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree! At 27 I needed a mammogram for. Lump in my breast. It was non-cancerous and since then I have had several biopsies. I will continue to get mammograms, they do save lives.

Quoting desertlvn:

My Grandmother had breast cancer and needed a double radical mastectomy. My mom has abnormal breast cells and with every mamogram is flagged for a biopsy. She has never had cancer though. At 31 I found a lump and a mamogram was ordered. A subsequent biopsy was ordered. No cancer, simply fibrocystic breasts. I am in the tough position of having a family history of breast cancer, but also cystic breasts which make detecting cancer hard. 

Honestly, I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't surprise me.  I've always had a, yeah sure, attitude about any type of x-ray being totally safe anyway, since the person giving the x-ray seems to always either be behind a lead type screen or wearing some type of protective clothing other than a lab coat.

Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I agree with you ladies... I've always thought just skip the mammogram and go right to the ultrasound because if they find anything suspicious via x-ray, they do an ultrasound anyway to confirm it... why not just skip the x-ray and do the ultrasound you know.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That first sentence is ridiculous. Most things are found in the 'asymptomatic population'.....after its found is when they are in the symptomatic population.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish people would realize this.  I have been saying this for a while, and when I said it on here, I got told I was giving medically unsound advice and that it was dangerous for me to tell people to limit mammograms, especially if there was a history of cancer in the family.  It sounds reverse, but it has been scientifically proven.

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My grandmother and mother had breast cancer. I will continue with mamograms.

sweetangie79
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I had a lump years ago not knowing my risks.  My doctor at the time said that they only do the ultrasound to make the detirimation.  I was pregnate at the time, and it turned out to be a really clogged milk duck.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

One of the risk factors for breast cancer is previous biopsies!

Yes, they do this far too much.   And there are millions of false positives.  And no one needs to irradiate their breasts frequently, which they are finally admitting. 

Go if you have a problem, or just a feeling something is wrong.  Otherwise, leave well enough alone, is my philosophy.  I believe - and it has proven true for me, anyway -that our bodies tell us very clearly when something is wrong. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

As an almost 10 year breast cancer survivor, I have had countless mammograms. For the first 5 years after treatment, I had mammos twice a year. The past 5 years has only been once a year but It has always somewhat worried me. I guess you take the good with the bad tho.  Knock on wood, I have not had any issues, no false positives, etc. Ultrasounds are great when they are looking at a specific region of the breast, The mammo allows the Dr to see the entire breast, nipple and under your armpit. They can notice changes and thickening, not just a larger mass. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)