Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously?

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Storm Nemo Leaves 4 Dead: When Will We Learn?

Posted by Emily Abbate on February 9, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo SnowfallWinter Storm Nemo has officially come and gone. Here in New York City, we have one foot. In parts of Connecticut and Boston where the snow is still trailing off, they have a whopping 38 inches. This morning, more than 650,000 homes and businesses are without power, some of which are in areas still struggling to rebuild after Hurricane Sandy. More than 5,300 flights were cancelled through today.

The most striking news of all of this? At this time, four people are reportedly dead from storm-related causes. One woman collapsed while shoveling her driveway, the other three deaths all resulted from car crashes. It's horrible horrible news.

I can't help but wonder, though, if maybe these deaths could have been preventable.

Weather is no joking matter. Yeah, we've all fallen victim to sensationalized weather reports and have been through some sort of "major storm" that never really happened. However, in light of what happened after Hurricane Sandy and now Winter Storm Nemo -- we all need to take government warnings more seriously.

Many of the deaths from Hurricane Sandy could have been avoided if people actually listened to the government orders to evacuate. Instead, dozens who stayed to brave the elements were drowned by the storm surge in Queens and Staten Island.

Leading up to the snow's impact yesterday, people were told to stock up in advance, get off the roads, and stay put. Instead people everywhere were braving grocery stores mid-snowfall to get things they don't really need, driving over to a friend's house, and finding unnecessary reasons to get on the roads putting themselves and others in danger. The reality: Driving bans aren't just put into effect to protect us, they're put into effect so that emergency personnel and utility crews can get through.

Thankfully so many who ventured out are fine. However, my heart still breaks for the three that are not and their families.

When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously? Have you been impacted by Winter Storm Nemo?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
KaleaLani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I grew up in the snow belt so winter storms don't bother me as much. I just wouldn't go out if there was a lot of ice or if it was a major blizzard. Now, tornadoes are another story. I lived an hour from Joplin MO. I take those warnings and watches very seriously.
maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

and we normally have plenty of "bread and milk" on hand so we don't have to go down the "panic isle" at the grocery store...ha ha ha.

tambrathegreat
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I'm from Tornado Alley.  Of course I take extreme weather warnings seriously.  I've been through two tornadoes and believe me, they weren't any fun.

rfurlongg
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Yep.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I figure its Mother Nature and there's nothing we can do... Plus I think predictions are just that, a prediction
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Always, I figure better safe than sorry. With 2 small children I don't want to be stuck without food/water etc. If you don't need it, hey-it's food and water, it will get used. We also stay off the roads, not only for our own safety but because it's unfair to ask other people to have to risk their lives to save us. Especially  when it was easily preventable and foreseeable.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Well yes and no. We're usually prepared regardless. At worst, we may need a few perishibles but even that is rare.

But what I grew up with as "normal winter weather" is what a lot of people today call "extreme." When I was growing up, 2 feet of snow was the norm and unless the snow was over the grill of the school buses, you were going to school. And the bus didn't pick you up at your front door like they do here. You walked in that 2 feet of snow down the road to the bus stop and stood there until the bus got there.

the other day our schools instituted a 3 hour delay because it was 9° outside. So. The roads weren't bad (because I was out on them. I know) it's not like kids stand at a bus stop anymore. They sit at their front door until the bus stops. But that was "extreme" enough to warrant delaying school.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We've always wondered why so many people hear about extreme weather and get the urge to make french toast.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

and we normally have plenty of "bread and milk" on hand so we don't have to go down the "panic isle" at the grocery store...ha ha ha.

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

ha ha ha.....  I know, right? 

Quoting AMBG825:

We've always wondered why so many people hear about extreme weather and get the urge to make french toast.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

me too..... where abouts?

Quoting tambrathegreat:

I'm from Tornado Alley.  Of course I take extreme weather warnings seriously.  I've been through two tornadoes and believe me, they weren't any fun.

tambrathegreat
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Oklahoma City, OK. The belly button lint in the massive girth of America.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

me too..... where abouts?

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN