Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously?

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Storm Nemo Leaves 4 Dead: When Will We Learn?

Posted by Emily Abbate on February 9, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo SnowfallWinter Storm Nemo has officially come and gone. Here in New York City, we have one foot. In parts of Connecticut and Boston where the snow is still trailing off, they have a whopping 38 inches. This morning, more than 650,000 homes and businesses are without power, some of which are in areas still struggling to rebuild after Hurricane Sandy. More than 5,300 flights were cancelled through today.

The most striking news of all of this? At this time, four people are reportedly dead from storm-related causes. One woman collapsed while shoveling her driveway, the other three deaths all resulted from car crashes. It's horrible horrible news.

I can't help but wonder, though, if maybe these deaths could have been preventable.

Weather is no joking matter. Yeah, we've all fallen victim to sensationalized weather reports and have been through some sort of "major storm" that never really happened. However, in light of what happened after Hurricane Sandy and now Winter Storm Nemo -- we all need to take government warnings more seriously.

Many of the deaths from Hurricane Sandy could have been avoided if people actually listened to the government orders to evacuate. Instead, dozens who stayed to brave the elements were drowned by the storm surge in Queens and Staten Island.

Leading up to the snow's impact yesterday, people were told to stock up in advance, get off the roads, and stay put. Instead people everywhere were braving grocery stores mid-snowfall to get things they don't really need, driving over to a friend's house, and finding unnecessary reasons to get on the roads putting themselves and others in danger. The reality: Driving bans aren't just put into effect to protect us, they're put into effect so that emergency personnel and utility crews can get through.

Thankfully so many who ventured out are fine. However, my heart still breaks for the three that are not and their families.

When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously? Have you been impacted by Winter Storm Nemo?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Same here. Where in NY are you? Are you near Rochester?

Quoting PestPatti:

I live in upstate central NY.   GMA was in my county, doing a weather broadcast last month.   The lake effect snow has been hammering us for a while.   

I am 51, I don't go out in weather unless I feel comfortable being behind the wheel.   That's always been my motto..

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

When I was in the 6th grade a tornado hit our town.  Two of my cousins died.  I ALWAYS take the weather advisories/warnings seriously.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I think I would take it more seriously if it were a hurricane, or tornado.  But, with snow....its really not in the same category.  Although I have to admit that this storm we are still experiencing it worse than I anticipated, it isn't in the same category as other types of storms.  My car is buried up to the roof, we have  six foot snow drifts, and....as fast as they plow  the roads, the 50 mph hour winds are blowing it back onto them.  But....I know come tomorrow, everything will return to normal.  Plus on a good note...our high school will have plenty of snow for the snow sculptures during winter carnival week....

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

The storm was more like a gypy than Nemo.

What I don't get was why were all those people out driving around last night ina freaking storm!!!! which was so bad that their cars got stuck on the road and they either had to abandon their car or were stuck overnight inside their car?!

Seriously- what stupidity made someone go out in a storm?!

It's one thing when someone dies because of an accident, power outage, tree falls on you- act of God type of thing..... but being stupid by driving around?

Do you REALLY need an extra loaf of bread and stick of butter so badly?!

PestPatti
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I live 20 miles north of Syracuse... 

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting PestPatti:

I live in upstate central NY.   GMA was in my county, doing a weather broadcast last month.   The lake effect snow has been hammering us for a while.   

I am 51, I don't go out in weather unless I feel comfortable being behind the wheel.   That's always been my motto..

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Cool. I live near Buffalo. It is nice to see that there are other members from upstate NY on here.

Quoting PestPatti:

I live 20 miles north of Syracuse... 

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Quoting PestPatti:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

We just had major floods...cut off for 4 days.  We were useless as prepping LOL. 

Our coverage of the floods was terrible....so no warnings.  I do take the warnings given seriously though.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If we had extreme weather I would.

Mashnut3161
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I live in Oklahoma. So not really. I stand outside and watch tornados.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM
It depends on the advisory and where I am living. When we lived in Louisiana, I took hurricane warnings very seriously, the "winter storm" warnings not so much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)