Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man billed after father dies waiting for ambulance

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 52 Replies

Man billed after father dies waiting for ambulance

View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.

Durand Ford, Jr. says the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Service Department has sent him a $780.85 bill for an ambulance that he called for his father early on the morning of Jan. 1.

Ford tells News4 that his father died waiting for that ambulance, after it took more than 30 minutes to arrive.

“I feel angry. Upset,” Ford said. “I’m disturbed that we even received this bill.”

Ford said he and his family called 911 in the early hours of New Year's Day because his father, 71-year-old Durand Ford, Sr. had trouble breathing.

According to records, the 911 call was made at 1:25 a.m. A DC fire truck arrived only nine minutes later, but an ambulance was unavailable. According to Prince George’s County Fire & EMS records, DC Fire did not call Prince George’s County for assistance until 1:47 a.m. One minute later, the county dispatched an ambulance from Oxon Hill to go to Ford’s home in Southeast Washington. It arrived at 1:58 a.m.

By then, Ford had died.

“We’re still grieving about the situation,” Ford, Jr. said. “[We’re] very angry about what happened and the service we did not receive from the district.”

DC Councilwoman Yvette Alexander, who represents the Fords in Ward 7, tells News4’s Shomari Stone, “Based on my experience in similar circumstances, DC Fire & EMS has not billed.”

“This seems quite unusual, and I will help the family resolve this matter,” Alexander continued.

DC Fire & EMS did not return News4’s request for comment.

More from nbcwashington.com:

North West Passage

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Just sad!

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I would send a check with the account numbers scratched out and a big "screw you" written across it. Just sayin.
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I hate that this man died. Who's going to pay for the ambulance that was dispatched?

StarryRain
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Why am I not at all surprised at the location?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tiff_R_92
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM
There's no damn way it costs that much to send an ambulance out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
klamomma2
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM

It doesn't really cost that much to send out an ambulance, and they didn't do anything.  They didn't save his life or attempt to.  Ambulances drive around town all the time and don't send anyone a bill, taxes pay for it.  I'm sure they can let this bill go and let the family be.  I don't know if the man has a wife or not, but it wouldn't be the son's responsibilty anyways.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I hate that this man died. Who's going to pay for the ambulance that was dispatched?

Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM

This is part of a bigger issue.  That night over 1/3 of the fire dept. called off sick because it was New Year's Eve.   The family has every right to be upset.  Plus, they are claiming he would have died anyway.  But how could anyone know since it took them 30 minutes to show up!?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM

technically the bill would be his father's not his and the debt dies with the debtor! Still an asshole move.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Why? You are paying for supplies. EMTs, equipment, station upkeep, etc. Fire & rescue is expensive upkeep.

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM

My mother was charged $700 back in 1987.  I totally believe it costs that much.  When, I read the original article, I thought it was rather inexpensive (comparitively speaking).

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured