Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Alleged teen intruder dies after being shot by homeowner

Posted by   + Show Post

PHOENIX -- A Valley teen died Friday after he allegedly broke into a Phoenix residence and was shot by the homeowner.

Phoenix Police said a man returned to his home in the area of 7500 W. Weldon late Friday morning to discover that his carport door was open.

The homeowner entered through his front door and discovered that his house had been ransacked.

As he entered the house, two suspects ran out the carport door. Two more suspects then ran from the bedroom area of the home, with one of the men, later identified as 16-year-old Mario Barcenas, reportedly running at the homeowner.

The homeowner was carrying a handgun at the time and shot Barcenas with one round.

The police were called to the home and Barcenas was taken to the hospital where he eventually died.

Police are still investigating the case, but said it appears as if the homeowner was acting in self-defense. No charges have currently been filed.

The three other suspects in the case have yet to be located.

Police ask anyone with any information to call the Phoenix Police Department Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS or 480-TESTIGO for Spanish.

source

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh yah, I forgot about the "center mass" thing that you advocate. Do you also believe that if you have a gun and plan to shoot it that you should shoot to kill?

So nice to know.

bad

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No,you shoot for center mass. he had no way of knowing if the person RUSHING him after breaking in and RANSACKING his home was armed, or on drugs, and he shot to protect his life. The thug is NOT a victim in this, he is a stupid ass teenager who fucked HIS OWN LIFE when he idiotically CHOSE to be a criminal.

Quoting lga1965:

The homeowner COULD have shot the guy to just WOUND him. Then call the police and have him arrested.

But,no.............

ANd, there was no mention of the teen having a gun.

so...........

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
8 moms liked this
If you don't want to get shot, don't break into someone else's home...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Well that's a risk you take when you break into a house and ransack it.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
7 moms liked this
Yes. If I ever shoot, I will adhere to gun safety training and Aim at center mass. The homeowner had no way of knowing the intention of the criminals running at him. You still seem to have a Hollywood glamourized image of What it means to shoot at a threat. There is no time to adjust your sights and wait until you have a solid shot at a small moving target, like an arm or leg. The latter is only HOLLYWOOD, not real life.

Quoting lga1965:

Oh yah, I forgot about the "center mass" thing that you advocate. Do you also believe that if you have a gun and plan to shoot it that you should shoot to kill?

So nice to know.

bad

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No,you shoot for center mass. he had no way of knowing if the person RUSHING him after breaking in and RANSACKING his home was armed, or on drugs, and he shot to protect his life. The thug is NOT a victim in this, he is a stupid ass teenager who fucked HIS OWN LIFE when he idiotically CHOSE to be a criminal.

Quoting lga1965:

The homeowner COULD have shot the guy to just WOUND him. Then call the police and have him arrested.

But,no.............

so...........

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
5 moms liked this

Did the 16 year old have a gun?

If he had no weapon, then this is murder and not self-defense.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
8 moms liked this

That is what you are trained to do.

The center mass is the largest target.   You have a strange idea about defense if you think most can just magically shoot the alleged criminal's hands so they can't use a gun.

Quoting lga1965:

So nice to know.

bad

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting lga1965:

But,no.............

so...........

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
4 moms liked this

Depends on the state and what the police determine.

In my state, it isn't murder at all if he was rushing at you in your house.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Exactly this.

Quoting JMmama:

If you don't want to get shot, don't break into someone else's home...

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Not where I live, you have the right to protect yourself and home. It's not murder.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
11 moms liked this
Quoting lga1965:

But,no.............

so...........

This is really going to sound harsh, but it is the truth. You do not shoot to wound. You shoot to eliminate the threat. Tha means kill. You never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot and you don't shoot anything you don't intend to kill.

If an intruder enters my house, and he is carrying a gun, if I shoot to wound he will shoot back. And he might hit my kids. I will shoot to eliminate the threat. That is one reason dh go me an airsoft gun that is a replica of my actual handgun. I work daily on my aim and my fundametals.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN