Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Alleged teen intruder dies after being shot by homeowner

Posted by   + Show Post

PHOENIX -- A Valley teen died Friday after he allegedly broke into a Phoenix residence and was shot by the homeowner.

Phoenix Police said a man returned to his home in the area of 7500 W. Weldon late Friday morning to discover that his carport door was open.

The homeowner entered through his front door and discovered that his house had been ransacked.

As he entered the house, two suspects ran out the carport door. Two more suspects then ran from the bedroom area of the home, with one of the men, later identified as 16-year-old Mario Barcenas, reportedly running at the homeowner.

The homeowner was carrying a handgun at the time and shot Barcenas with one round.

The police were called to the home and Barcenas was taken to the hospital where he eventually died.

Police are still investigating the case, but said it appears as if the homeowner was acting in self-defense. No charges have currently been filed.

The three other suspects in the case have yet to be located.

Police ask anyone with any information to call the Phoenix Police Department Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS or 480-TESTIGO for Spanish.

source

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
Aamy
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
4 moms liked this

Good for the home owner. 

.shank.
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
No where in the article does it say that. It says they ran out of the bedroom.

Quoting Citygirlk:

But they were running away.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Ok...let's try this for you.....do you know what can happen when you inflict a flesh wound on someone who is robbing your house, who may or may not be on some sort of mind altering drug, who may or may not be armed? Answer please.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This was a 16 year old human being- not a bear. The homeowner was not out hunting?!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Are you aware what can happen if you shoot a bear in the shoulder?
Quoting lga1965:

The homeowner COULD have shot the guy to just WOUND him. Then call the police and have him arrested.

But,no.............

ANd, there was no mention of the teen having a gun.

so...........

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0mmyheather
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this
If someone broke into my house and ran at me, "I wonder how old they are." would be the last thing on my mind. All I would be thinking is that they are a threat, and I and my family are in danger.
Regardless of age, he shouldn't have been breaking into someone's home.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This was a 16 year old human being- not a bear. The homeowner was not out hunting?!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting lga1965:

The homeowner COULD have shot the guy to just WOUND him. Then call the police and have him arrested.

But,no.............

so...........

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
No doubt there are many things to be sad about ash....I think it's really sad that the 16 year olds parents have a dead son because they weren't making sure their son was running with the right crowd, being taught right from wrong...etc...yes, many things to be sad about. Especially the owner having to live with the fact he had to kill someone...very sad.
Quoting ashellbell:

Kids do stupid things all the time without truly understanding that their life could be in jeopardy. It's sad because a 16 year old lost his life. It's sad because that man had to shoot him and I'm sure he feels bad. Sad for that kid's friends for having to know their dumb choice resulted in a death. Breaking the law or not, a kid is still dead. Excuse me if I feel some compassion for all those involved.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Yes, sad that one would choose to break the law and not consider the repercussions. Life do suck sometimes!

Quoting ashellbell:

How sad for everyone involved.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh....ok...then that makes all the difference....NOT! Can you answer my question?
Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Ok...let's try this for you.....do you know what can happen when you inflict a flesh wound on someone who is robbing your house, who may or may not be on some sort of mind altering drug, who may or may not be armed? Answer please.
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting lga1965:

But,no.............

so...........

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. You can't help but wonder how involved the parents were in this situation.

Quoting KamWorthy:

No doubt there are many things to be sad about ash....I think it's really sad that the 16 year olds parents have a dead son because they weren't making sure their son was running with the right crowd, being taught right from wrong...etc...yes, many things to be sad about. Especially the owner having to live with the fact he had to kill someone...very sad.

Quoting ashellbell:

Kids do stupid things all the time without truly understanding that their life could be in jeopardy. It's sad because a 16 year old lost his life. It's sad because that man had to shoot him and I'm sure he feels bad. Sad for that kid's friends for having to know their dumb choice resulted in a death. Breaking the law or not, a kid is still dead. Excuse me if I feel some compassion for all those involved.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Yes, sad that one would choose to break the law and not consider the repercussions. Life do suck sometimes!

Quoting ashellbell:

How sad for everyone involved.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I mean from what i read it seems they were all running away when they heard him come in but this teen ran the wrong way and ran toward the man. Don't get me wrong if I had a gun I would of shot him too but I seems like he was just trying to get away.

Quoting talia-mom:

If you read the article, it alleges he was running at the homeowner.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting lga1965:

But,no.............

so...........

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
9 moms liked this
Yes, from his perspective he WAS being attacked. Two criminals were running at him. You are Ridiculous. You blame the HOMEOWNER, spit on HIS character (idiotically claiming he had murderous intent rather than defensive) but have not a single bad thing to say about the THUG CRIMINALS??? Sickening!!!

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

The man was not attacked. He continued to walk throughout his house after he saw the first 2 intruders fleeing.

If that were me- I would get the hell out of my house and call 9-1-1 and let the cops deal with it. What was so precious in his home that he had to kill someone over it. As far as I am concerned- I would rather they have the computer and tv. These are all replaceable. A Life is not.

He had a gun and wanted to use it. He put himself in jeopardy by contiuning to walk throughout the home. What if the kid did have a weapon and shot first. He was stupid- all over  a bunch of crap possessions. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So if you are ever attacked, Goddess forbid, you are going to to politely ask your attacker if he is armed BEFORE you take steps to defend your own life? Ridiculous!!!!

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Did the 16 year old have a gun?

If he had no weapon, then this is murder and not self-defense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
11 moms liked this

When I was 19 and living on my own, I remember my dad giving me great advice. If was ever home and an indruder was trying to get in- 1) call 911 and tell them that I fear my life is in danger 2) wait until the intruder is all the way inside my home 3) shoot to kill

If someone is in MY home uninvited they are there for bad reasons (rape, homicide, robbery, who knows), and I will not hesitate to defend myself.

I think the homeowner was justified in the shooting.

themissheather
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM
No one is talking about a bear. We are talking about a teenage boy.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting lga1965:

But,no.............

so...........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN