Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should even be allowed at all for fastfood?

Options:

Yes

No

I Dont Care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 112

View Results

"In an ever-growing number of  states, if you crave a taco or fried chicken from a fast-food restaurant,  you can pay for  it with food stamps.

Food stamps - known more formally as the USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -  have been in use for grocery staples, such as bread and milk, since 1934, but now, for the first time,  they can be used for fast food  in four states across the country.

The number of businesses – including convenience and discount stores,  gas stations and pharmacies – that have been  approved to accept  food stamps  has increased by a third over the course of three years from 2005 to 2010, USA Today reports, and fast-food chains are working hard to get a cut of the federal dollars  in  Florida, California, Arizona and Michigan.

The funds allocated to the food stamp program have increased exponentially, from $28.5 billion to $64.7 billion in that same time frame, according to USA Today, and at a time when people have less money to spend, the bump in federal dollars can mean a lot to the fast-industry.

Yum! Brands, based in Louisville, Ky., which operates a string of restaurants  that includes Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver’s and Pizza Hut, are among those applying for inclusion in the food stamp program, saying that elderly, disabled and homeless people have difficulty preparing meals, ABC affiliate WHAS reported.

Here’s a quick list of fast food restaurants in states that already accept food stamps for restaurant meals:

Michigan:

Church’s Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken

McDonald’s

Subway

Grandma’s Famous Chicken

Eight Mile Pancake House

Mr. T’s BBQ

Vito’s Pizza

California:

Jack in the Box

Subway

El Pollo Loco

Papa Murphy’s Pizza

Florida

KFC

Taco Bell

Pizza Hut

Papa Murphy’s Pizza

Arizona

Domino’s Pizza

Golden Corral

Southern Cuisine

Rally’s Hamburger"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/09/fast-food-chains-getting-into-the-food-stamp-act/

Well this is, irritating. Im on FS myself and I would never support something like this.

Do you really want a big mac that bad? PAY FOR IT YOURSELF.

This article was written in 2011, but id never heard of this until now :/

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I want some church's chicken....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsjksimmons
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I'm on FS and unless homeless like PPs have pointed out, I don't agree. If I want to eat out, I will use my hard-earned money. We generally stay away from fast food anyway. The only fastfood we eat is typically Subway. Otherwise we wait until we have money to go to a nice sit down restaurant.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yes, I have heard of this and it is intended for people who are homeless or do not have access to a cooking area.  (think of a single room or a bed at the YMCA for instance.)

It makes sense to me.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Unfortunately, crappy food is cheap and fills you up.
audreesmama
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Like everyone else has said, the homeless should have the option. Cooking really isn't feasible, so they should be able to get a warm bowl of soup or chili.
Alejandra10
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I agree with the homeless thing but then again if they do it on fast food places they should let them buy things like roasted chicken from the super store I'm sure that will be much cheaper and their money could go a longer way. I know atleast here in illinois they don't let you buy prepared food like roasted chicken or stuff like that
pampire
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

in WA Papa Murphy's takes FS.  It's allowed because it's not cooked.  Cold foods are ok, hot is not.  (Kinda silly, but whatever.)  

I thought that homeless ppl got a different type of FS allotment that allowed for more ready to eat stuff but that may be wrong.  I only read that rules that applied to me & mine.  Ultimately, I don't care what anyone buys with FS as long as it's food.

icn_mom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I think that fast food should be payed for with money you earn.. food stamps are allocated strictly because you cannot pay for all the food NEEDED to survive.. sorry but a bic mac is a luxery not a necessity! I Really think they need to limit what people can buy with the food stamps.. I knew a girl that was on FS and she bought things at the gas station and stuff all the time, well she kept running out of FS then would complain.. well sorry honey but if you used what was given to you wisely you wouldnt be starving by the end of the month.. I think that everyone deserves the luxery of eating out every now and then but not on state money... that money should be used very wisely since it only goes so far.

christina0607
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care. Why should I care how someone spends their alloted money? Whether they buy their big mac from their own $5 bill or the government makes no difference to me. Either way they are going to buy what they please.

I have a whole life of my own to worry about. 

1Giovanni
by Becca on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Here you can buy a roasted chicken but you can't have it hot. In our grocery stores they have a whole section of their deli food that they add to the cooler, so people can buy them with FS. People can eat chicken cold, sometimes even taste better. Even with some of our big stores they have a microwave to warm up soup or the food after they buy it. They even have a lot of salads and other meals that you can eat cold.

I think they should do this every where then they don't need to eat at fast food restaurants.

Quoting Alejandra10:

I agree with the homeless thing but then again if they do it on fast food places they should let them buy things like roasted chicken from the super store I'm sure that will be much cheaper and their money could go a longer way. I know atleast here in illinois they don't let you buy prepared food like roasted chicken or stuff like that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)