Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should even be allowed at all for fastfood?

Options:

Yes

No

I Dont Care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 112

View Results

"In an ever-growing number of  states, if you crave a taco or fried chicken from a fast-food restaurant,  you can pay for  it with food stamps.

Food stamps - known more formally as the USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -  have been in use for grocery staples, such as bread and milk, since 1934, but now, for the first time,  they can be used for fast food  in four states across the country.

The number of businesses – including convenience and discount stores,  gas stations and pharmacies – that have been  approved to accept  food stamps  has increased by a third over the course of three years from 2005 to 2010, USA Today reports, and fast-food chains are working hard to get a cut of the federal dollars  in  Florida, California, Arizona and Michigan.

The funds allocated to the food stamp program have increased exponentially, from $28.5 billion to $64.7 billion in that same time frame, according to USA Today, and at a time when people have less money to spend, the bump in federal dollars can mean a lot to the fast-industry.

Yum! Brands, based in Louisville, Ky., which operates a string of restaurants  that includes Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver’s and Pizza Hut, are among those applying for inclusion in the food stamp program, saying that elderly, disabled and homeless people have difficulty preparing meals, ABC affiliate WHAS reported.

Here’s a quick list of fast food restaurants in states that already accept food stamps for restaurant meals:

Michigan:

Church’s Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken

McDonald’s

Subway

Grandma’s Famous Chicken

Eight Mile Pancake House

Mr. T’s BBQ

Vito’s Pizza

California:

Jack in the Box

Subway

El Pollo Loco

Papa Murphy’s Pizza

Florida

KFC

Taco Bell

Pizza Hut

Papa Murphy’s Pizza

Arizona

Domino’s Pizza

Golden Corral

Southern Cuisine

Rally’s Hamburger"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/09/fast-food-chains-getting-into-the-food-stamp-act/

Well this is, irritating. Im on FS myself and I would never support something like this.

Do you really want a big mac that bad? PAY FOR IT YOURSELF.

This article was written in 2011, but id never heard of this until now :/

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
KerryK
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it should be an option for homeless only, if you don't have facilities to store or prepare food. However it should be a different program all together.
Side note, Papa Murphys has always taken food stamps as they do not cook their pizzas in the store, when I lived in Seattle and got food stamps that was our one big treat for the month, ten bucks for a yummy pizza, I doubt I could have made my own for that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

That is a good point. I change my vote.

Quoting Piskie:

Yes....... Homeless, people without adequate cooking facilities.... There are many situatuions that mean people can't prepare their own food all the time.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I don't mind FS going to the sick, elderly, etc... those that truly fell on bad times, but these are not healthy places to eat.  I have always believed the SNAP program should be run like WIC, with those people only allowed to buy healthy things, not junk. I also think the OP is right when she say if you want junk,buy it yourself.   My own family is not on any kind of PA, but we rarely eat fast food.(sometimes we do, not often) Fast food is not something that should be eaten all the time, and I could see how people on PA may do that.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM

That is an excellent point to make.  Since most people don't consider the homeless people at all, the negative responses do not surprise me.   I'm in favor of everyone having food to eat on the daily basis.  Call me crazy.

Quoting Piskie:

Yes....... Homeless, people without adequate cooking facilities.... There are many situatuions that mean people can't prepare their own food all the time.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Quoting Piskie:

and there are plenty of foods you can eat without the need for preparation.  I see these fast food giants just cashing in on the foodstamp arena.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

although Im all for the homeless eating and if fast food is the only way...then I say eat.

How do soup kitchens survive....IMO they should be given a stamp that allows them to eat there three nights a week...this way they get funding of sorts and the homeless get something healthy and hot into them.  The fast food giants dont get a cent...and I really think a soup kitchen deserves the money more than a ff giant.  JMO though :-)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

That is an excellent point to make.  Since most people don't consider the homeless people at all, the negative responses do not surprise me.   I'm in favor of everyone having food to eat on the daily basis.  Call me crazy.

Quoting Piskie:

4g4b
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Some one said it there arr foods u can eat that are not fast food from a chain. I have been homelss living under a bridge homeless and still managed to havr a cup of soup a day. Hot water not even boiling at that and let sit. Bam food :) maybe the idea of hot grocery items is not bad but some stores have salad bars just sayin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM

On July 25, 2005, the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) implemented the new Restaurant Meals Program throughout Los Angeles County.  This program offers great benefits to eligible individuals since the homeless do not have a place to store and cook food, while the elderly and disabled may have difficulty preparing meals for themselves.

For many elderly, disabled and homeless individuals, CalFresh is of limited assistance as they are unable to store or prepare food safely themselves. This is why California has chosen a federal option that allows these recipients to purchase prepared food through the Restaurant Meals Program (RMP). The RMP allows elderly, disabled and homeless CalFresh recipients to purchase hot, prepared meals with their EBT cards at approved restaurants. For all other CalFresh recipients, federal rules preventing the purchase of prepared food still apply. 

On a basic level, many RMP eligible clients do not have the tools, appliances or physical abilities necessary to prepare their own meals. The disabled, elderly or homeless CalFresh recipient who eats at a RMP certified restaurant will be nourished by an affordable meal in a food-safe environment and benefit from eating in a public place that welcomes their presence, as opposed to in isolation or on the streets looking over their shoulder. The RMP program is truly an anti-hunger program.

http://dpss.lacounty.gov/dpss/restaurant_meals/default.cfm

Since the 1970’s Federal law has allowed elderly, disabled and homeless people to purchase prepared meals at restaurants. The Restaurant Meals Program is federally approved and implemented at a state and county level.   

Storing and cooking food – things many Americans routinely do – is often hard and sometimes impossible for elderly, disabled and homeless people. The Restaurant Meals Program can help overcome these challenges and help these individuals find a new way to buy food.  To qualify, restaurants must first meet eligibility requirements set by the participating state. http://www.snaprmp.org/

Looks like this law was passed in the 70s, and the states have been deciding to participate or not.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I don't care how people use thier FS. 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Great idea. If only Soup Kitchens had the lobbying power of the fast food chains. $$$

Quoting turtle68:

although Im all for the homeless eating and if fast food is the only way...then I say eat.

How do soup kitchens survive....IMO they should be given a stamp that allows them to eat there three nights a week...this way they get funding of sorts and the homeless get something healthy and hot into them.  The fast food giants dont get a cent...and I really think a soup kitchen deserves the money more than a ff giant.  JMO though :-)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Piskie:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)