Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

High Schoolers Plan 'Traditional' Prom That Bans Gay Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 11, 2013 

prom corsageIt's prom time! That time of year when kids get all gussied up and start picking on their gay classmates for daring to be a little different. Yes, it's happening again. In one Indiana high school this year, there's even a call for a traditional prom that would outright ban gay kids.

Outraged yet? Let me throw this log onto the fire: the kids who are trying to organize this so-called "traditional" dance at Sullivan High School are being backed by their parents.

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

This particular prom protest has gone viral because of the blatant homophobia, but the problem isn't just parents in Indiana letting their kids bully their gay peers. It's parents everywhere fighting the fight to homogenize high schools so their little snowflakes never have to feel uncomfortable with, gasp, diversity!

It makes high school hell for the kids who are different, who are caught up in the delusional "perfect" worlds these parents are trying to build for their kids.

But the real trouble begins when the little darlings graduate from high school and enter a world where Mommy and Daddy can't make the scary differences go away. This is why bullying doesn't stop after graduation. This is why there are hate crimes in America!

Because out here, there are gay people and black people and people with speech impediments and wheelchairs and every difference under the sun. And we aren't just going to hide away while some narrow-minded prat throws a dance.

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would hope my children would choose not to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I would have to let my kids decide for themselves. I wouldn't want them to go and I would probably try to help them organize an all-inclusive prom for everyone.
I am straight, but I took a girlfriend to prom with me. I would have been very angry if I wasn't allowed to go because my date happened to be female (ignoring the fact that she believed she was gay at that point in her life).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I would hope that my children will know enought to choose not to go to that prom on their own. Then I will have done my job. 

timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I would tell my son that I feel the entire idea is wrong, and that I wouldn't be paying for it.  He would be free to make the decision for himself as long as he assumed financial responsibility. Though, I imagine that I would not even need to say anything as my son as the idea would most likely be unpopular with him.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
me too.

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'd let my son decide for himself.  By the time he's prom age, he'll be capable of making that kind of decision without my help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My daughter plans on going to the prom with her gay best friend, so I guess .....that would be the answer.  If he couldn't go....she wouldn't go either....

PamR
by Pam on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

No and I don't think they would want to.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Two words: f*ck, and no. 

But as others have already touched on, my dd would never attend such an event in the first place. In fact, I would not be surprised if she didn't organize a boycott, AND organize a bigger better alternative inclusive event.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

No, I would never let my kid go to such a dance.  And he would not want to go, either.

RMC007
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Considering that my dd will be 18, or very close to being 18 at her senior prom, I would let her make that decision on her own. I, personally, would not support a prom that excludes any student based on sexual orientation and I hope my dd would make the same decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)