Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

High Schoolers Plan 'Traditional' Prom That Bans Gay Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 11, 2013 

prom corsageIt's prom time! That time of year when kids get all gussied up and start picking on their gay classmates for daring to be a little different. Yes, it's happening again. In one Indiana high school this year, there's even a call for a traditional prom that would outright ban gay kids.

Outraged yet? Let me throw this log onto the fire: the kids who are trying to organize this so-called "traditional" dance at Sullivan High School are being backed by their parents.

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

This particular prom protest has gone viral because of the blatant homophobia, but the problem isn't just parents in Indiana letting their kids bully their gay peers. It's parents everywhere fighting the fight to homogenize high schools so their little snowflakes never have to feel uncomfortable with, gasp, diversity!

It makes high school hell for the kids who are different, who are caught up in the delusional "perfect" worlds these parents are trying to build for their kids.

But the real trouble begins when the little darlings graduate from high school and enter a world where Mommy and Daddy can't make the scary differences go away. This is why bullying doesn't stop after graduation. This is why there are hate crimes in America!

Because out here, there are gay people and black people and people with speech impediments and wheelchairs and every difference under the sun. And we aren't just going to hide away while some narrow-minded prat throws a dance.

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (241-248):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The school is not doing anything at all.  A few parents were displeased that the "Grand March", apparently a custom at this school which precedes the prom  where the young man and young lady walk out together to be presented  bowed to the pressure from 2 girls to allow them to walk out together as a couple.  They gathered in a church, along with some students, to discuss possibly holding an alternative event.  Big deal.  Let them, and whoever wants to come will come.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'd let my son decide for himself.  By the time he's prom age, he'll be capable of making that kind of decision without my help.

I would, too. I would dislike that the school was excluding kids.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But they could go.  A guy and a girl. This wouldn't even be at issue in this situation, or...ever throught the history of school proms.

Quoting btamilee:

My daughter plans on going to the prom with her gay best friend, so I guess .....that would be the answer.  If he couldn't go....she wouldn't go either....

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Right.  All this outraged spouting of opinions, and hardly anyone bothered to read the facts!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Maybe you didn't understand the story, quite possible as the activist posing as a journalist, made it a little hard to find.

They are proposing a 2nd prom where they can invite people that they want - this has no affect on "the prom".

Quoting mandaday:

The prom is not a private house party or back yard barbecue. There is diversity in colleges and the workplace. They are doing these kids a disservice by teaching them that they get to exclude those who are different. I worked at a very conservative company for 5 years. When we had social functions, such as the holiday party, partners, even same sex ones were included.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

I really wonder if any of you have ever been in the real world.

Most people don't go out of the way to hang out with people that are not like them.

People gravitate to people that are like them, all this social engineering at Govenment schools is still a failure.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I mentioned that a time or ten. Reading for comprehension, open minds, not big here.
Quoting TranquilMind:

Thanks.

The biased blog post blows it all out of proportion anyway.   When you go to the article, you see that this is just about a few parents who met in a church who thought they would like to hold their own SEPARATE traditional event, in addition to the school event.    It probably won't even happen.  But they wanted to be heard that all they hope to see is a normal prom where you don't have to have political correctness shoved in your face. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

"luv" - when "like" just won't do.

Quoting TranquilMind:

You mean a traditional prom like every prom since the beginning of high school proms?  Sure.  No one was "banned" ever.  They simply were expected to dress in gender-appropriate clothing and to take a gender appropriate date. 

I'm sure many kids who later decided to openly have other partners went to their proms dressed in appropriate clothing and with a date. 

The obnoxious and utterly ridiculous tone of your biased blogger Ms. Sager here does not help substantiate your point, by the way (all that "when Mommy and Daddy can't make the differences go away"....just gag - Learn to write a logical piece, lady). 

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Yes..they could, but if they excluded gay couples, I am not so sure that they would go.  My daughter is very vocal and very defensive of her best friend.   We had a little celebration in our house when the gay marriage law passed in our state (Maine).  Her best friend came running in my bedroom and woke me up to tell me that he could now marry anyone he wants.....legally.  It was a moment that I will always remember.

Quoting TranquilMind:

But they could go.  A guy and a girl. This wouldn't even be at issue in this situation, or...ever throught the history of school proms.

Quoting btamilee:

My daughter plans on going to the prom with her gay best friend, so I guess .....that would be the answer.  If he couldn't go....she wouldn't go either....

Armygirl2299703
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Hell NO! I would like to think though, that I wouldn't have to tell her no. She is only 6 1/2 and she already understands that treating someone badly just because they are black, gay, transgender or whatever is wrong. She has friends of all different races (she is part Filiphino), has an adopted grandpa that lives as a woman and I have no lack of gay friends she is around and she loves them all!!

K311y0hh
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Being as her aunt is a lesbian id hope she wouldn't take part in that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I have a Prom age Child... If I did my job correctly as a parent then she would make the best choice for herself. I can say with 110% certainty she wouldn't go if all of her friends weren't included. But It is her choice to make not mine...

If the Question was left up to me then in a heart be she wouldnt be there.. But at this age she is old enough to make her own choices and as a parent I have to accept her choices. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)