Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

High Schoolers Plan 'Traditional' Prom That Bans Gay Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 11, 2013 

prom corsageIt's prom time! That time of year when kids get all gussied up and start picking on their gay classmates for daring to be a little different. Yes, it's happening again. In one Indiana high school this year, there's even a call for a traditional prom that would outright ban gay kids.

Outraged yet? Let me throw this log onto the fire: the kids who are trying to organize this so-called "traditional" dance at Sullivan High School are being backed by their parents.

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

This particular prom protest has gone viral because of the blatant homophobia, but the problem isn't just parents in Indiana letting their kids bully their gay peers. It's parents everywhere fighting the fight to homogenize high schools so their little snowflakes never have to feel uncomfortable with, gasp, diversity!

It makes high school hell for the kids who are different, who are caught up in the delusional "perfect" worlds these parents are trying to build for their kids.

But the real trouble begins when the little darlings graduate from high school and enter a world where Mommy and Daddy can't make the scary differences go away. This is why bullying doesn't stop after graduation. This is why there are hate crimes in America!

Because out here, there are gay people and black people and people with speech impediments and wheelchairs and every difference under the sun. And we aren't just going to hide away while some narrow-minded prat throws a dance.

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
pampire
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'd let my kid decide.  Hopefully I'd have raised him well enough to decide not only to skip the "traditional" prom but to organize an alternative prom that was open to everyone.

funny_girl3
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I graduated from 2 very different high schools, one of the high schools had a traditional prom, and they went to great lengths to insure that attendees met their standards.  They only allowed boy/girl couples and you had to bring some kind of proof of your date's identity when buying tickets if your date didn't attend the school, you could only attend as part of a couple so no individual tickets could be purchased.  The other high school had an open prom, students could buy individual tickets or go with anyone they wanted (as long as the date met the age requirements).  I had more fun at the open prom, which I attended with a female friend because our boyfriends were older and weren't allowed to attend, than at the traditional prom.  I wouldn't tell either one of my kids that they couldn't attend the traditional prom, especially since around here it is still the norm and I wouldn't want them to miss out on the opportunity to go to prom just because of my beliefs, because I think teenagers that are prom age are old enough to make their own decisions about morality, but it would prompt a good discussion about tolerance.  Hopefully this kind of discrimination won't be happening when my kids are prom age.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Quoting funny_girl3:

*snip*  Hopefully this kind of discrimination won't be happening when my kids are prom age.

Ditto!

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM

As far as I'm aware, there is no requirement to have a date to go to prom. The first prom I attended my "date" was 6 of my friends. The next prom I had 2 dates. Wasn't a problem for me to have 2 dates when I went.

Unless they have changed the requirements stating you absolutely MUST have a date - no going stag and no going as a group - then they're just engaging in a bout of wishful thinking.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Id like to believe that my son would not want to go. I know at 7 he would not.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Now I have questions? what prom traditions are they promoting? Are they going to provide limos for all those who attend? What about dinner? Is dinner included in the price of the ticket or are they going to pay the students who attend for them to go out and get their own dinner? Are they going to provide the hotel room after prom and how are they going to make sure that sex between the male and female at the hotel actually happens. Are they going to video tape it or just take their words for it?

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I really wonder if any of you have ever been in the real world.

Most people don't go out of the way to hang out with people that are not like them.

People gravitate to people that are like them, all this social engineering at Govenment schools is still a failure.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM
The prom is not a private house party or back yard barbecue. There is diversity in colleges and the workplace. They are doing these kids a disservice by teaching them that they get to exclude those who are different. I worked at a very conservative company for 5 years. When we had social functions, such as the holiday party, partners, even same sex ones were included.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Most people don't go out of the way to hang out with people that are not like them.

People gravitate to people that are like them, all this social engineering at Govenment schools is still a failure.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Maybe you didn't understand the story, quite possible as the activist posing as a journalist, made it a little hard to find.

They are proposing a 2nd prom where they can invite people that they want - this has no affect on "the prom".

Quoting mandaday:

The prom is not a private house party or back yard barbecue. There is diversity in colleges and the workplace. They are doing these kids a disservice by teaching them that they get to exclude those who are different. I worked at a very conservative company for 5 years. When we had social functions, such as the holiday party, partners, even same sex ones were included.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

How disgusting people are. 

If I'm doing my job right, they wouldn't want to attend and would make it known their feelings about it. I certainly would make my feelings known. We have very close, dear friends who are gay that my children have always known and love. I can't imagine them standing for such discrimination. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured