Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

High Schoolers Plan 'Traditional' Prom That Bans Gay Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 11, 2013 

prom corsageIt's prom time! That time of year when kids get all gussied up and start picking on their gay classmates for daring to be a little different. Yes, it's happening again. In one Indiana high school this year, there's even a call for a traditional prom that would outright ban gay kids.

Outraged yet? Let me throw this log onto the fire: the kids who are trying to organize this so-called "traditional" dance at Sullivan High School are being backed by their parents.

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

This particular prom protest has gone viral because of the blatant homophobia, but the problem isn't just parents in Indiana letting their kids bully their gay peers. It's parents everywhere fighting the fight to homogenize high schools so their little snowflakes never have to feel uncomfortable with, gasp, diversity!

It makes high school hell for the kids who are different, who are caught up in the delusional "perfect" worlds these parents are trying to build for their kids.

But the real trouble begins when the little darlings graduate from high school and enter a world where Mommy and Daddy can't make the scary differences go away. This is why bullying doesn't stop after graduation. This is why there are hate crimes in America!

Because out here, there are gay people and black people and people with speech impediments and wheelchairs and every difference under the sun. And we aren't just going to hide away while some narrow-minded prat throws a dance.

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I doubt DD would want to go...she won't eat at Chik-Fil-A because they don't like gay people and she's only 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I'm friends with an older lady whose only comment was, 'Who's gonna do the decorations if there are no gay kids in it?'

My first thought was 'what a stereotype', my next thought was to laugh at her,, but she proceeded to point out that at her prom many years ago, the gay kids did all the decorations......and the majority of the work on the prom...LOL.

My kids wouldn't go to a prom that excluded some kids. 

In fact, a lot of the kids who were simply somewhat nonconformist, didn't go to my prom.   They weren't disabled, or gay, they simply were non conformists and they weren't at all interested in going to an activity that was a shrine to the popular athletes and Heathers of the school.

There was an alternative prom at the lake on the beach into the wee hours of dawn, with a big bonfire, lots of music provided by kids who were musicians, and lots of fun. 

And to be perfectly honest, I think more kids went to that prom than the 'regular' prom.

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd would be able to decide for herself at that point, but I would hope she wouldn't want to go and support such hateful things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Who is filling an 8 year olds head with such misinformation and ignorance?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I doubt DD would want to go...she won't eat at Chik-Fil-A because they don't like gay people and she's only 8.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM
She remembers the big deal over the summer with CFA not liking gays. I won't eat there either.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You should stop poisoning her little mind.

CFA doesn't hate gays - they are Pro-traditonal marriage, that's all.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

She remembers the big deal over the summer with CFA not liking gays. I won't eat there either.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

lga1965
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I would leave the decision to them. I'm pretty sure that they would object to that kind of prejudice, though.

sissyboogs
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

If they wanted to go, I'd let them go. 

However, I certainly hope to raise my kids not to be the ones organizing this type of event. And, I hope to raise them to be the kids that are protesting and standing up for those who are deemed "different"---whether it be because of sexual orientation, handicap, etc...

I have family members who are gay, so my kids are exposed in a positive way. 

invisibleme
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I think that my children would stand up for the kids being excluded.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

That's kind of funny.

We don't hate gays. We just don't think they should be treated like actual people.

Quoting Billiejeens:

You should stop poisoning her little mind.

CFA doesn't hate gays - they are Pro-traditonal marriage, that's all.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN