Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What age should my child start to grasp colours??

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is nearly 2years old now. We have been trying to teach her colours since she was 12months old, but she still has absolutelt no idea what we are going on about?? She is very forward for her age, was walking at 9months, has been taliking very coherently since 12months, knows her numbers to 12, can say the alphabet. We repeat the same things over and over again everyday, like you have a Red coat, you have blue gloves. But when we ask her what colour they are she says Black,everything is black. We go out and we will say Red car, Blue car, Green car, and then say to her when another red car passes, what colour is that car and she will say Black. She started saying black as our cat is black, and she adores our cat, so we started saying, Bobby is a black cat, and we thought that she had grapsed that colour as was starting to pick out the odd few things that were black. But then the other day we were coming home walking down our road and a ginger cat came running out and she pointed at it saying bobby, bobby. She obviously thought that was our cat! Bless her. We will still keep trying to teach her, but just wanted peoples opinions please, nice comments though! Oh and we have decided to just focus on one colour for now and try to name all the yellow things we see
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Sorry. This does not belong in the "In the News" section of a group called Current Events and Hot Topics.

cafemom does have many groups regarding parenting, "ages and stages," child development, etc. that would be more appropriate for this post.

really?

OP ignore her

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd make a "color of the day" and plan fun activities for it. On red day you could eat and strawberries, tomatoes, tomato soup, find all the red toys in the house and put them all together, everybody wear red clothes, etc....

My son got black and brown mixed up until well after 4. No worries, she'll get them eventually.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My son had it at 2, but my daughter who is three has only had it for a few months now, and she still gets a few colors mixed up.  Every kid learns at different ages. 

Also, it is worth noting that she may still be brain mapping cats. She may associate all cats that look like yours as "bobby" or that cats are called bobby, etc.  She's still young :)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Does she know her numbers, or shapes?  There are colorblind tests you can take online.  Here's one for pediatrics 3 and up.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/color5.htm

Quoting angelcrystal:

Thanks, new to this site, so couldn't find the ages and stages group, but will look for it. Thanks to all have replied though. Yes we are worried she could be colour blind, as she just can't grasp colour full stop! We have been trying for a year like I said, and thanks for the teaching techniques, but we have tried them all, we have coloured blocks which we will sort into coloured piles, and keep repeating the colour then ask her to get say another yellow brick and she just grabs any colour!!! We've tried colour match games. And when when its tidy up time we say put all the red bricks away first, then all the green, we show her the colour we want her put away and she just doesn't get it. We play colour games in the bath like trying to find all the yellow toys, or all the blue. I have a four year old aswell and taught her the same and she knew her colours by about 18months. Our daughter tries to teach her sister to. Not sure what age they test for colour blindness, but I will have a word with the doctor next time were their. Thanks guys

babiesbabybaby development

MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I think it depends on the kid my oldset knew them between 12-18 months.

My youngest is 2 and knows most but not all of them an still confuses sme of the from time to time.

An my daughters cusin was 3 an didnt know any of them . I think it varys .

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Awe, she's pretty little yet.  Don't worry about it, she may not even realize what you are referring to when you tell her the color of something.  If you say a car is blue, she may not know if you are talking about it being shiny, or fast, or whatever.  

Just keep it light, no reason to stress.  At that age she could be focusing on another developmental aspect and just not be ready to deal with recognizing colors.  They go through stages of focusing on one thing and then working more on another later.  That is perfectly normal.

mrs.pina
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM
This is how i showed my dd who learned her colors at that age (2) . Everytime we would pull up to a street light i would say look it's red , red means stop. Than when it would turn green tell her that green means go. I swear to you she picked that up quick!. I also sing to her to red song .R.E.D red R.E.D red firetrucks are red firetrucks are stop signs are red tooo stop signs are red tooo R.E.D R.E.D she now sings it on her own (she is 3).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM

2 or 3, it depends on the child.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

She may be one of the very few girls on the planet who is colour blind...

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Get her some baby board books on colors and read them at story time and then ask her if she can find something red in the room or blue, etc..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)