Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been solicited by your own bank to pay your outstanding bills? Me either. Well, not until today. FRAUD ALERT

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

My first frustration this morning was trying to get cash from the ATM and being denied. GREAT! I reluctantly made a deposit. I sucked it up, dropped dd off at pre-school and went to the bank. The nice man told me there was nothing wrong with the ATM and my acct. seemed to be fine, nothing out of the ordinary. I wrote a check, got cash and left.

DH calls because his ATM card was decline when he tried to pay for lunch. FABULOUS! I relay what happened, gave him the number to call the man I spoke to in the branch. He borrowed money from his coworker.

I call the branch. I get many apologies and remarks about 'what might be' happening because no one seems sure.

Pick up DD, run errands, come home to a message from out bank. The lady told me that Discover called them and is having an issue processing out last payment for ex amount. Please call Discover at (xyz)555-1111 as soon as possible.

We don't have a Discover card!

I checked the caller ID to find the call came from the local umber and it said our bank name on the caller ID, too. I called the number on the caller ID. I waited for a very long time on hold. When the lady got back to me she assured me that no one called from the call center. She wanted to know who called and I couldn't tell her because no name was given. I called my VM and played the message for her. She said she couldn't help me. UGH!

I called the local branch that I had been at earlier and explained what had happened. I played the message for her. She took notes and took the number that the I was supposed to call to 'contact Discover credit services' and contacted the fraud dept.

The number was a land line. The name on the account wasn't Discover, and it supposedly was in a man's name. The lady from the branch called me to tell me that supposedly people can change caller ID statuses to help them commit fraud. Did you know that? I sure didn't!

I just had to cancel all of my accts. Debit cards, checking + other accounts.

I'm glad it didn't go further than this. I am so creeped out right now.

BEWARE!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Wow that sucks, I am glad you caught it !

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow.  Glad you were smart and started your investigation.  Ya...there's a lot of fraud going on---we need to be very careful. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Wow, what a hassle.  I had my debit card number stolen two Christmases ago, they emptied my bank account out in 2 days (on a weekend.)  I didn't notice it until Monday evening when I got denied for a purchase, and  knew I had like 1K in my account.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

Wow, what a hassle.  I had my debit card number stolen two Christmases ago, they emptied my bank account out in 2 days (on a weekend.)  I didn't notice it until Monday evening when I got denied for a purchase, and  knew I had like 1K in my account.

ugh!

LindaClement
by Linda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I did know this.

I've been called by 0-000-000-0000 (which I am SURE is a real phone number)... and the FBI (from whom, apparently, I won a free cruise --which seemed likely :D)

I've had people try to get me to give them my credit card information, by assuring me I could get a much lower rate --I asked them which bank I use, because they assured me that they were calling because the bank told them my current interest rate. Amusing. Even my bank doesn't call me about things like that.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes, thanks for sharing.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM

yikes bad day!!!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I actually got a call at home one day with OUR name & number on the caller ID. Ummm, yeah, I didn't answer it.

Quoting LindaClement:

I did know this.

I've been called by 0-000-000-0000 (which I am SURE is a real phone number)... and the FBI (from whom, apparently, I won a free cruise --which seemed likely :D)

I've had people try to get me to give them my credit card information, by assuring me I could get a much lower rate --I asked them which bank I use, because they assured me that they were calling because the bank told them my current interest rate. Amusing. Even my bank doesn't call me about things like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
O.o

Quoting DSamuels:

I actually got a call at home one day with OUR name & number on the caller ID. Ummm, yeah, I didn't answer it.

Quoting LindaClement:

I did know this.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Yikes!

I actually have a $68 transaction that was paid to Capital One. I watch my accounts very closely, and I was shocked to see it. I asked hubby about it, and he didn't know what it was. So, I called my bank. The lady said that they had some stupid policy that doesn't allow me to mark a transaction as fraudulent until AFTER it's been taken out of my account?!

SERIOUSLY?! I called on Friday, and I can't call regarding that transaction until tomorrow morning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured