Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Curious what you all think...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 38 Replies

APD releases ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle's funeral procession route

by KVUE.com

kvue.com

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Updated today at 5:58 PM

AUSTIN -- The funeral procession for ex-Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle will travel through Austin Tuesday.

Iraq War veteran Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been charged in the Feb. 2 killings of Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield at a North Texas gun range.

Nearly 7,000 people attended Kyle's memorial service Monday at Cowboys Stadium.

Tuesday the procession will travel down I-35, exit 6th Street, travel east on 7th Street, and north on Navasota Street to the Texas State Cemetery.

APD Chief Art Acevedo tweeted Monday that the procession is scheduled to enter the northern city limits between 11:30 a.m. and noon.

Austin police say the cemetery will be closed to the public during the funeral. Additionally, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Navasota and Comal streets will be closed between 7th and 11th Streets. The sidewalk on the north side of 7th Street will be closed between Navasota and Comal Streets.

Expect traffic delays on I-35 during the early afternoon. The highway will remain open during the funeral procession. 

Click here for KVUE.com's traffic map or here to learn more about WAZE, a free traffic app. Join the KVUE Traffic Trooperz to navigate traffic with other Central Texans.

If you choose to show support during the procession, please use frontage roads, overpasses and not the main roadway.  Please make sure you park your car in a safe spot. For those wishing to stand along the roadside, please do so in a safe area.

Austin police instruct supporters not to affix, or hang anything over the overpass railing. They also urge supporters to stay far enough back from the railing so that if you are holding a sign and it falls, it would land on the ground in front of you and not on the highway. 

To stay up-to-date with any changes to the procession time or route, follow APD Police on Twitter at @ or like them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AustinPolice

Okay this guy is a highly decorated SEAL I get that... But he was not killed in battle he was killed by a guy who was also military, but neither were active duty.  What I do not get is why the hoopla? His friend shot with him also a decorated war vet didn't get all this attention, hell guys shot in actual war zones do not get the press this guy got. First his services were held at DALLAS COWBOYS STADIUM!  Celebrities and 15 min of fame hog Palin was there...where is all this when a soldier dies in the field of ACTION?  It was televised on every TV station.  I just do not get it? He is no more special than the other soldiers so why?  Do not start with the un American crap cause I am behind the soldiers they are doing their jobs everyday for far less money than they deserve.  But all this for a former hot shot sniper killed by another not in service. It is weird.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Well he is a bit of a celebrity in certain communities so I can understand it. I don't begrudge him getting this much attention it doesn't make him more important than any other soldiers death it just means he was more well known.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

too me it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to those who died in action.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

Well he is a bit of a celebrity in certain communities so I can understand it. I don't begrudge him getting this much attention it doesn't make him more important than any other soldiers death it just means he was more well known.

lazyd
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

yea, i dont understand why they have to close all those streets.  I know it was cuz he was better known, but why dont we allow ALL our DEAD soldiers who died in BATTLE become "well known" by having their funerals public - at least along the streets or have a parade, etc, wherever they are buried.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

As a sniper he had the most confirmed kills.  He was very well liked.  My husband is having a fit the flags are not flying at half mask for him but did for Whitney.  He was an American hero, and I feel was worthy of he hupla.  We make a big deal over people who play sports, so why not him?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I get that, but... really he was murdered not in battle but by another crazed soldier.  Half mast is over kill in my opinion as well.  We here didn't do it for Whitney. But really if they are going to give that much attention to a former soldier who wrote a book... why not to all those who died in action. And really show it on every channel???  I mean had we wanted to see it we could load up and go for goodness sake. 

Quoting tooptimistic:

As a sniper he had the most confirmed kills.  He was very well liked.  My husband is having a fit the flags are not flying at half mask for him but did for Whitney.  He was an American hero, and I feel was worthy of he hupla.  We make a big deal over people who play sports, so why not him?

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is a soldier and we have had 2 friends that were KIA I do not think his funeral is in anyway a reflection on them and their sacrifice. Both of their funerals were well attended as we both over there and here. This guy is a war hero. Look at how many people attended Whitney Houston or Micheal Jacksons funerals and they were drug addicts who essential killed themselves and only ever made music and money. I don't think attendence at their funerals are a reflection on service members either.

Quoting glitterteaz:

too me it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to those who died in action.  

Quoting soonergirl980:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Frankly I don't think most families would WANT that. If it were my husband I wouldn't. It's such a deeply personal moment I would want my grief "protected" for it to be private, not blasted on the news or to a bunch of people that I didn't know or didn't know him. I think back to 2005 when we lost a good friend. That funeral was so emotionally charged I can't imagine that moment being so public.

Quoting lazyd:

yea, i dont understand why they have to close all those streets.  I know it was cuz he was better known, but why dont we allow ALL our DEAD soldiers who died in BATTLE become "well known" by having their funerals public - at least along the streets or have a parade, etc, wherever they are buried.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Interesting takes on it all.  I just thought it was too much

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that celebrities funerals being televised is tacky as well.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM
It's because he is from the area. His family and friends are all from here. He worked with a lot of people in office for the state of Texas so he was well known... Kind of like a state celebrity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN