Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama planning Nuke cuts while N. Korea heats things up

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 3 Replies

Do you think a reduction in the American Arsenal is going to stop other countries from building theirs up? Is this a smart move for the US?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/9863458/State-of-the-Union-Barack-Obama-to-call-for-cull-of-Americas-nuclear-weapons-arsenal.html

The proposal to cut the US strategic warhead arsenal by up 40 per cent could save billions of dollars and take America another step closer to the long-term goal - avowed by Mr Obama in his landmark speech in Prague in 2009 - of a nuclear-free world.

Although Mr Obama is not expected to give precise numbers in his speech, reports yesterday claimed that the number of warheads could be cut from 1,700 to as low as 1,000, if a mutual agreement can be secured with Russia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/12/us-korea-north-idUSBRE91B04820130212

(Reuters) - North Korea conducted its third nuclear test on Tuesday in defiance of existing U.N. resolutions, drawing condemnation from around the world, including from its only major ally, China, which summoned the North Korean ambassador to protest.

The reclusive North said the test was an act of self-defense against "U.S. hostility" and threatened further, stronger steps if necessary.

It said the test had "greater explosive force" than the 2006 and 2009 tests. Its KCNA news agency said it had used a "miniaturized" and lighter nuclear device, indicating that it had again used plutonium which is more suitable for use as a missile warhead.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure the US will retain enough nukes to decimate the planet either way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I don't have a problem with us cutting back our arsenal. 1000 is more than enough as long as Russia draws down as well. Even if other countries are able to create their own nuclear warheads, they won't be able to catch up to us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM

That was what JFK was trying to do , but then, you know what happened to him,right? The big guys behind the scenes ( the ones with dollar signs in place of their eyeballs and no brains) who wanted to increase our arsenal and build more military aircraft,etc. wouldn't let that happen. After JFK was out of the picture, it was ramped up and the war in Vietnam was too....an excellent money making enterprise.

I'm not saying anything similar could happen now, but I bet Obama will be urged to change his mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)