Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taxes.. once you pay them..you normally get no say in how they are spent...

Posted by   + Show Post
So why do people feel so personally by Violated or ripped off by the entitlements spending?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (31-36):
pampire
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

You absolutely have a say.  It's called voting for candidates that support your values and priorities.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Give them a fish is lightening their load....Teaching them to fish is helping them.

Quoting EireLass:

Helping isn't changing someone. Helping is lightening their load.

Quoting turtle68:

Its a hard cycle to break....I worked with these people for over 5 years.  It isnt so much about being able to help...I agree it is easy.  Its more about a mental shift...that can be incredibly hard, especially if the cycle has been going for more than one generation.  Simple things that the majority take for granted like personal hygiene can be a hurdle...because it has never been taught. 

The mentality....well Ive never done that and mum never did that and we lived....is prevalent.

Quoting EireLass:

It's very easy to help people. If you don't have family in need, why not take one on that you can help?
Quoting turtle68:

that isnt most though...your step daughter is very lucky to have a supportive family.I know a lot of people that are on assistance....they regularly buy smokes, beer and fix up their cars (with unnecessary fixtures) go gambling and feed themselves.

Quoting EireLass:

I think most people live in assumptions when it comes to these programs. Unless it's you, or you've seen it with your own eyes, or are intimately involved with the financials of the person, how do you really know what's going on?I have only one person that I'm aware of that recieves any assistance. Maybe there are 10 people around me, but I only know of the one. (I don't usually pay attention to what people are buying, etc). My step-daughter. Single Mom. She recieves food stamps and medical. We buy all the diapers, bottles, wipes, laundry soaps, bath soaps, shampoos, dish soap, etc, for her. We live on opposite ends of the East Coast. Amazon is a wonderful thing. My daughter sends her cash with no conditions attached. Her 'father-in-law' bought a house for her and baby to live in. She has a friend that has given her a couple tattoo's for free. She's never had to pay for babysitting, everyone is in love with the child. The child is very well dressed, many name brand items...people seem to think they're cute. She is given gift cards to clothing shops, etc, as gifts. Her hair is always done, she has friends in cosmotology school that 'use' her as practice. Some people are on assistance, and have people around them that help them.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup. But why do you feel you'll only help them if they change to what you want them to be?

Quoting turtle68:

Give them a fish is lightening their load....Teaching them to fish is helping them.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting turtle68:

Its a hard cycle to break....I worked with these people for over 5 years.  It isnt so much about being able to help...I agree it is easy.  Its more about a mental shift...that can be incredibly hard, especially if the cycle has been going for more than one generation.  Simple things that the majority take for granted like personal hygiene can be a hurdle...because it has never been taught. The mentality....well Ive never done that and mum never did that and we lived....is prevalent.

Quoting EireLass:

It's very easy to help people. If you don't have family in need, why not take one on that you can help?
Quoting turtle68:

that isnt most though...your step daughter is very lucky to have a supportive family.I know a lot of people that are on assistance....they regularly buy smokes, beer and fix up their cars (with unnecessary fixtures) go gambling and feed themselves.

Quoting EireLass:

I think most people live in assumptions when it comes to these programs. Unless it's you, or you've seen it with your own eyes, or are intimately involved with the financials of the person, how do you really know what's going on?I have only one person that I'm aware of that recieves any assistance. Maybe there are 10 people around me, but I only know of the one. (I don't usually pay attention to what people are buying, etc). My step-daughter. Single Mom. She recieves food stamps and medical. We buy all the diapers, bottles, wipes, laundry soaps, bath soaps, shampoos, dish soap, etc, for her. We live on opposite ends of the East Coast. Amazon is a wonderful thing. My daughter sends her cash with no conditions attached. Her 'father-in-law' bought a house for her and baby to live in. She has a friend that has given her a couple tattoo's for free. She's never had to pay for babysitting, everyone is in love with the child. The child is very well dressed, many name brand items...people seem to think they're cute. She is given gift cards to clothing shops, etc, as gifts. Her hair is always done, she has friends in cosmotology school that 'use' her as practice. Some people are on assistance, and have people around them that help them.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I dont feel as if I need to change them in order to help them.  I feel I need to give them options...choices about living.  My goal was to show them a life that didnt include welfare handouts....something they had never known.  Break the cycle.

Quoting EireLass

Yup. But why do you feel you'll only help them if they change to what you want them to be?

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Were you successful?

Quoting turtle68:

I dont feel as if I need to change them in order to help them.  I feel I need to give them options...choices about living.  My goal was to show them a life that didnt include welfare handouts....something they had never known.  Break the cycle.

Quoting EireLass

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting EireLass:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

With some that were willing to try something new.  IMO it works best when they surround themselves with others that are living it...which for some is just not obtainable.  Hence my intense dislike for government housing suburbs...aka ghetto's  Not the people just the whole thought process of putting all the poor in one location.

Quoting EireLass:

Were you successful?

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting EireLass

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured