Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Missing Baby Ayla Reynolds' Family Says She's Dead So Why Won't Cops?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 20 Replies

Missing Baby Ayla Reynolds' Family Says She's Dead So Why Won't Cops?

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 12, 2013

Ayla ReynoldsWhen Ayla Reynolds, then 20 months old, went missing from her father's home in Maine in the middle of the night in December 2011, we all hoped the nightmare would be over quickly for her family. But now here we are, more than a year later, and not only has Ayla not back home, but her family's been delivered a staggering blow.

Ayla's step-grandfather has come out to say that his granddaughter is dead. What's more, he says his family has been forbidden from discussing how they know the little girl is gone.

Confused? It sounds like everyone is.

Police in Maine said late last year that it was "unlikely" that Ayla was still alive. Depressing but not definitive. There was at least a little room for hope there.

But now Jeff Hanson, step-father of Ayla's mom, Trista Reynolds, is saying there is no hope. On the website the family has maintained for the little girl, Hanson said the state has "unequivocal" evidence that Ayla died a year ago, noting that a $30,000 reward once offered for the girl's return has been withdrawn. He says the family found this out last month when they met with the police.

The cops, on the other hand, won't talk. They won't comment on Hanson's statement, not even on his claims that the family has been forbidden from talking so they don't jeopardize the case.

Procedurally, it all makes sense. Police tend to tell families things that they don't want out because they realize the family needs answers.

But put yourself in the Reynolds/Hanson clan's shoes. They can't even talk about whether or not the little girl is really dead? How do you move on from that? How do you possibly get closure?

Either the child is dead or she's not. Is it really fair to force this family to keep pretending they don't know?

Have you been following Ayla's case?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

This was a sad case and there were so many weird things about it all at the same time.  Not everything seemed to be adding up.

If they've been told that she's dead but forbid them from talking about it, that's terrible because the family cannot mourn properly.  I hope that some kind of resolution comes about soon for this family and this poor little girl can be laid to rest.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

:(

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yes, this is about an hour from me. From the very beginning everyone "knew" she was dead...except her Mom, who remained hopeful (denial). Everyone has believed the baby's father, girlfriend, aunt had something to do with her death that night.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

"Is it really fair to force this family to keep pretending they don't know?"

Fair or not really has nothing to do with it. This is a police matter and a legal issue. Speaking publicly could jeopardize bringing the person(s) responsibile for the death of this child to justice. I did not read that the family is forbidden to mourn and mark the passing in a memorial service, etc... just not to make it public.

Which, it seems, the cat's outta bag! So much for keeping their mouths shut!

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Poor baby! This makes me so sad

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I have heard so many *rumors* about this case.  I have a feeling that it may never get solved,  No one in the family will talk, although....someone knows the truth.   From what I have heard, most of the people within our state.....do believe she is dead. 

diospira
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this

This is such a sad case.

I think it is pretty clear that some family members were involved, based on statement analysis, DNA evidence found in the home, and the fact that the father took out a life insurance policy on Ayla shortly before her disappearance.

What is important here is justice for  Ayla, not closure for the family.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I have heard alot of rumors, but had yet to hear that her father had taken out a life insurance policy on her.  Thats a new one to me...

Quoting diospira:

This is such a sad case.

I think it is pretty clear that some family members were involved, based on statement analysis, DNA evidence found in the home, and the fact that the father took out a life insurance policy on Ayla shortly before her disappearance.

What is important here is justice for  Ayla, not closure for the family.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

How horribly sad. I kind of forgot about this case sadly. How could anyone harm a child? She looks like a little angel. I don't get it. 

Quoting EireLass:

Yes, this is about an hour from me. From the very beginning everyone "knew" she was dead...except her Mom, who remained hopeful (denial). Everyone has believed the baby's father, girlfriend, aunt had something to do with her death that night.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

This is such a sad case.  When this happened, my daughter and her family (my grandkids) lived only a couple of blocks away from where this happened.  (Now they live 15 minutes out of town.)  I visited the area shortly afterward and there were flyers everywhere.  The last time I visited, I didn't see any flyers.  I believe that the dad and his family are responsible and I hope they are able to bring them to justice.  There is a lot of wilderness in Maine, and chances of them finding her body without someone leading them to it are pretty slim. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)