Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Food Stamp Rolls in America Now Surpass the Population of Spain

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

(CNSNews.com) – Since taking office in 2009, food stamp rolls under President Barack Obama have risen to more than 47 million people in America, exceeding the population of Spain.

“Now is the time to act boldly and wisely – to not only revive this economy, but to build a new foundation for lasting prosperity,” said Obama during his first joint session address to Congress on Feb. 24, 2009.

Since then, the number of participants enrolled in food stamps, known as the Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP), has risen substantially.

When Obama entered office in January 2009 there were 31,939,110 Americans receiving food stamps.  As of November 2012—the most recent data available—there were 47,692,896 Americans enrolled, an increase of 49.3 percent.

According to the 2011 census, Spain had a population of 46,815,916.

Furthermore, between January 2009 and November 2012 the food stamp program added approximately an average 11,269 recipients per day.

President Obama will deliver his fourth State of the Union address Tuesday evening.  Obama is expected to focus on jobs and the economy.

source

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Good, that is millions of children with food in their bellies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this

How amazing that we are a part of such an amazing country that does whatever they can to stop children and the extreme poor from starving.  Makes me proud to be an American.

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

If  that's where my taxes are going, i'm all for it.

I'm not a dick.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey Candle- remind me of what corporate profits are looking like right now.

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Tends to happen when a country is overwhelmed by hyper-individualism and crony capitalism to the point where there is no money left for the individuals to provide for themselves.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I am thankful for foodstamps, there would be so many hungry people!!

It be better though if he came through on  his jobs promises.  He's all talk and no action. (I know he doesn't make jobs, but he influences policies)  Most people don't want foodstamps, they want jobs to take care of themselves and their families!!

The unemployment rate has been high for too long.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN