Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

John Alleman Dead: Heart Attack Grill Unofficial Spokesman Dies From Heart Attack

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 20 Replies

John Alleman Dead: Heart Attack Grill Unofficial Spokesman Dies From Heart Attack

The Huffington Post | By Posted: 02/12/2013 9:53 am EST | Updated: 02/12/2013 9:20 pm EST

Get Small Business Alerts:
Heart Attack Grill
Pedestrians pass by the Heart Attack Grill on Fremont Street, Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2012, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)

John Alleman, the unofficial spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, has died of a heart attack. He was 52, according to the Las Vegas Sun.

For the past year and a half, Alleman would stand outside of the restaurant and try to encourage people to come inside. Owner Jon Basso didn't actually pay him for this, but would occasionally give him some free food.

"I told him if you keep eating like this, it's going to kill ya," Basso told the Las Vegas Sun.

The Heart Attack Grill is known for its over-the-top burger creations such as the quadruple bypass burger, which holds the Guinness World Record for "most calorific burger."

The restaurant posted a message on its Facebook page explaining how much Alleman meant to customers and employees:

For the past 18 months if you happen to walk by the Heart Attack Grill you were probably approached by our new spokesman John Alleman. So colorful was John's sales pitch that we placed him on the cover of our menu. He was so popular with the customers that last summer we gave him his own "Patient John" clothing line on our website. John truly loved HAG and would spend hours every day getting the word out to anyone who would listen.

Alleman's heart attack is the most recent health incident surrounding the restaurant. In 2011, another Heart Attack Grill spokesman died at age 29. The following year, a customer suffered a heart attack while eating a triple bypass burger. Two months after that, a customer collapsed while eating a double bypass burger.

Last year, Basso gave a candid interview to Eater Vegas. He calls his burger concept "absolutely honest" and explains "I don't tell anyone to come to the Heart Attack Grill more often than once a month. I say it right in the door, 'Caution this establishment is bad for your health.'"

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

simple frown

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

John Alleman, who suffered a heart attack last week, was the inspiration for the "Patient John" caricature that adorns the Heart Attack Grill’s menu and merchandise.John Alleman, who suffered a heart attack last week, was the inspiration for the "Patient John" caricature that adorns the Heart Attack Grill’s menu and merchandise

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

A Las Vegas man who became the unofficial spokesman for downtown’s Heart Attack Grill by dint of the fact that he came to the restaurant daily will die shortly from a heart attack, the restaurant’s owner said late Friday.

“The customers just loved him,” said owner Jon Basso.

John Alleman, 52, is currently on life support in a local hospital. Basso said Alleman lived with his only family, his brother, Paul, near Fremont Street and Maryland Parkway.

Alleman would stand outside the restaurant daily coaxing people to try it, Basso said. At night Alleman worked security at one of the abandoned high-rise construction sites on the Strip.

“I told him I couldn’t hire him, but I can throw you a free drink and burger once in a while,” Basso said.

Alleman loved the food.

“I told him if you keep eating like this, it’s going to kill ya,” Basso said. “He’d say, ’I just love your place, Jon.’ He’s the only person I know who was probably at the restaurant more than I; he’d be here every darned day.”

The restaurant’s signature is its high-calorie menu that includes “Flatliner Fries” and a “Quadruple Bypass Burger,” which holds the Guinness World Record for the “most calorific burger,” weighing in at more than 3 pounds and containing 9,982 calories.

Heart Attack Grill opened in October 2011 inside Neonopolis, at Fremont Street and Las Vegas Boulevard.

Since then, some say the restaurant appears to have lived up to its name. In February 2012, one man was stricken with what was believed to be a heart problem while eating a “Triple Bypass Burger”; in April 2012, a woman suffered from another medical problem while reportedly eating a “Double Bypass Burger.” It was unclear at the time if her medical issue was related to the food.

Alleman is on life-support after suffering a heart attack about five days ago. Basso said “machines are exhaling and inhaling for him,” and doctors don’t expect Alleman to live when the machine is shut down. His brother, Paul, “wants to hold off as long as he can,” Basso added, but has made the decision to remove his brother from life support on Monday.

Basso, audibly distraught over the phone, said he would make a dollar-for-dollar match for contributions to help Alleman’s brother offset medical expenses.

“It’s just sad when you see poor, poor people end up like this, with a hospital that just wants to pull the plug. I wonder if they’d be saying that to a rich family,” Basso said. “It made me think of (the Beatles song) "Eleanor Rigby" — the most wonderful guy, he helped me out in my business, then he has a heart attack and he’s going to die. There’s no chance for recovery.”

Alleman became so well-known, his image graces Heart Attack Grill’s menu; the store’s merchandise includes its entire line of clothing embossed with Alleman’s caricature and the words, “Patient John.”

Basso said no burial or funeral arrangements have been made and if anyone wanted to donate or contact him, they could reach him at his email, jon@hag350.com

steelcage
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That's sad...and I'm surprised the place is still open after so many deaths.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am surprised people still like that food:(

Quoting steelcage:

That's sad...and I'm surprised the place is still open after so many deaths.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Am I having a major deja vu.

575-pound Heart Attack Grill spokesman dies

Blair River was a big guy with a big heart.

River, who stood 6-foot-8 and weighed about 575 pounds, gained a measure of fame in the past year as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill, a west Chandler restaurant that specializes in thick hamburgers and fries. He died on Tuesday at the age of 29.

message boards Send your condolences | River promoting Heart Attack Grill

The cause of death is currently unknown, but friends are speculating that it was the result of his contracting pneumonia after a bout with the flu.

Heart Attack Grill is an unabashedly unhealthy restaurant - the menu consists of huge burgers, milkshakes and fries cooked in lard - and having such a big man as a spokesman was part of its tongue in cheek "glorification of obesity." But those who knew River said he was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed in promoting the restaurant.

Restaurant founder Jon Basso said he got to know River, first as a customer at the restaurant before working with him after he became the grill's spokesman.

"Cynical people might think this (River's death) is funny," Basso said. "But people who knew him are crying their eyes out. There is a lot of mourning going on around here. You couldn't have found a better person."

River was a state heavyweight wrestling champion in 1999 as a senior at Payson High School and he went on to play football at Mesa Community College.

He lived in Mesa and worked as a financial adviser at the University of Phoenix.

"He was a nice guy, very energetic and full of life," said Alex Arreola, a waitress at the grill. "He was always talking about his daughter and he always seemed to know the right thing to say to people."

Basso said River was the "creative genius" behind the promotions and was always coming up with new ideas for spots for the restaurant. They were even planning to shoot a spot called, "Heart Attack Grill: The Musical."

"Even if he was skinny we would have given him the job," Basso said. "We would have just put a fat suit on him. He just had personality."

Basso said they had to stop showing some of the ads featuring River on the video screens in the restaurant because they made some of the staff too emotional.

"We're like a family here and he was part of our family," Arreola said. "He will be missed. He'll definitely be missed."

Blair River, 29, of Mesa Luci Scott / The Arizona Republic

Blair River, 29, of Mesa

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Alleman's heart attack is the most recent health incident surrounding the restaurant. In 2011, another Heart Attack Grill spokesman died at age 29. The following year, a customer suffered a heart attack while eating a triple bypass burger. Two months after that, a customer collapsed while eating a double bypass burger.

Quoting trippyhippy:

Am I having a major deja vu.

575-pound Heart Attack Grill spokesman dies

Blair River was a big guy with a big heart.

River, who stood 6-foot-8 and weighed about 575 pounds, gained a measure of fame in the past year as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill, a west Chandler restaurant that specializes in thick hamburgers and fries. He died on Tuesday at the age of 29.

message boards Send your condolences | River promoting Heart Attack Grill

The cause of death is currently unknown, but friends are speculating that it was the result of his contracting pneumonia after a bout with the flu.

Heart Attack Grill is an unabashedly unhealthy restaurant - the menu consists of huge burgers, milkshakes and fries cooked in lard - and having such a big man as a spokesman was part of its tongue in cheek "glorification of obesity." But those who knew River said he was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed in promoting the restaurant.

Restaurant founder Jon Basso said he got to know River, first as a customer at the restaurant before working with him after he became the grill's spokesman.

"Cynical people might think this (River's death) is funny," Basso said. "But people who knew him are crying their eyes out. There is a lot of mourning going on around here. You couldn't have found a better person."

River was a state heavyweight wrestling champion in 1999 as a senior at Payson High School and he went on to play football at Mesa Community College.

He lived in Mesa and worked as a financial adviser at the University of Phoenix.

"He was a nice guy, very energetic and full of life," said Alex Arreola, a waitress at the grill. "He was always talking about his daughter and he always seemed to know the right thing to say to people."

Basso said River was the "creative genius" behind the promotions and was always coming up with new ideas for spots for the restaurant. They were even planning to shoot a spot called, "Heart Attack Grill: The Musical."

"Even if he was skinny we would have given him the job," Basso said. "We would have just put a fat suit on him. He just had personality."

Basso said they had to stop showing some of the ads featuring River on the video screens in the restaurant because they made some of the staff too emotional.

"We're like a family here and he was part of our family," Arreola said. "He will be missed. He'll definitely be missed."

Blair River, 29, of Mesa Luci Scott / The Arizona Republic

Blair River, 29, of Mesa

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My goodness.  How sad.  

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Sad, but it was pretty much a matter of time before another patron of this glut-fest died.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured