Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas Dad Accused of Murdering Drunk Driver Who Killed Kids* Vote Poll..and eye for an eye

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you believe in 'an eye for an eye'

Options:

yes

no

you betcha, and I will do it b/c our justice system sucks

oh no, I will let the jury decide

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

Texas Dad Accused of Murdering Drunk Driver Who Killed Kids

PHOTO: David Barajas is charged with killing the drunk driver who killed his two sons in Alvin, Texas.

A Texas father, who watched a drunk driver strike and kill his two young sons, has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting the driver in the head moments after the accident.

David Barajas, 31, was charged with murder on Monday, more than two months after his sons David Jr., 12, and Caleb, 11, were killed steps from their home on a rural road outside Houston on Dec. 7.

Bond was set at $450,000, police said.

Barajas and his sons were pushing the family's disabled pickup truck toward their home late that night, as the boys' mother and two younger siblings sat inside, according to a police report released by the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department.

They were struck by Jose Banda, 20, the driver of a Chevy Malibu, instantly killing David Jr. and critically injuring Caleb, who later died at a hospital.

"Banda was determined to be intoxicated at the time of the crash," police said in their report.

When cops arrived on the scene, they noticed something else about Banda. He had been shot in the head. But they could not immediately find the murder weapon.

"Investigators recovered a projectile from inside of the vehicle that Jose Banda's was shot in. Investigators were unable to match that projectile to a weapon because no weapons were recovered at the scene," according the sheriff's department.

Witnesses at the scene watched Barajas walk to his home and allegedly retrieve the gun with which he shot Banda, according to a police report. When police searched the home, they found a pistol holster and ammunition, but no firearm.

"Investigators are currently awaiting results of gunshot residue tests which were collected at the scene," police said. On Friday, a grand jury found there was enough evidence that Barajas could be charged.

According to authorities, he does not yet have an attorney.

"It really hurt a lot of us," Jose Roman, a family friend of Barajas, told ABC affiliate KTRK-TV about the death of the boys and the indictment of their father.

The boys, both fans of the Houston Texans, were buried last month. Many of the mourners at their funeral wore Texans jerseys.

But the family of the slain driver believes justice must be done.

"It was an accident. He didn't purposely do that,' Janie Tellez told KTRK. "Whoever did it is getting away with murdering my nephew. He deserves justice."

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM

other- whats your comment?

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe in an eye for an eye, but this man should not be tried for murder. He had just seen one son die, and the other fatally injured. He was not in his right mind.

He should be charged with manslaughter and given A LOT of therapy. The rest of the family will need loads of therapy, and time, to recover from this. If they ever do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaLordsMezNger
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM
He didn't purposely do that?! He purposely got behind the wheel after drinking knowing the risks.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

This. I'd like to say I would never do something like this, but after watching one child die and another on the verge of death.... who knows what I'd do to the drunk fool whose stupidity ruined my universe.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

I don't believe in an eye for an eye, but this man should not be tried for murder. He had just seen one son die, and the other fatally injured. He was not in his right mind.

He should be charged with manslaughter and given A LOT of therapy. The rest of the family will need loads of therapy, and time, to recover from this. If they ever do.

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

two wrongs don't make a right. Soooo....

I also don't believe in the death penalty for ANY reason. *waits for people to use "what if your..." "

..again, I say not for ANY reason.

Eva_mommy06
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he needs to be held accountable but fuck the drivers family for calling it an accident. No the guy didnt purposely kill anyone but e sure as hell got drunk and then got behind the wheel
MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I feel bad.for him and his family. I don't want him to go to jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
He left his dead and mortally wounded children to go to his house, get his gun, walk back to the scene, shoot the man in the head, and then walk the gun back to his house.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Yup. You choose to drink and drive, you get what you get.

I have 0 tolerance for anyone that takes 1 drink and chooses to drive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)