Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Minimum wage consistent with the cost of living? 9 bucks an hour to start with?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 191 Replies
1 mom liked this

What do you think of what the president said?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM

IDK, i cant imagine living less than what my DH makes, and that is after our salary was cut in half (when i stopped working)

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Yeah for causing many, many people to lose their jobs.    I guess that is what he wants.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
19 moms liked this

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

activitymode
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
3 moms liked this
This.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ratchetlee
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I think we should do away with minimum wage.....

Raising only increases costs and reduces jobs.....

TexanMomOf6
8 moms liked this

Raising the minimum wage will do no good. The price of all the goods and services will go up accordingly. So your check will look better, but your milk will go up a dollar. It'll be a $2 menu at McD's.  When you add the higher taxes businesses will have to pay in order to pay for health insurance it will cause businesses to shut down, people won't have jobs anyways......

ratchetlee
2 moms liked this

And..... these are EXACTLY my thoughts!

Quoting yourspecialkid:

TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM
10 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Anyone else noticed the president is a communist?

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

In my state $9 to start is amazing. We get 7.25 and it hasn't gone up for a while.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh go ahead and raise it to 9 bucks an hour, just so the retailer's can get a little richer by justifying raising the cost of everything. In a year, 9 dollars an hour will be poverty. 

Raising minimum wage only increases the costs of living. It doesn't help anyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN