Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Minimum wage consistent with the cost of living? 9 bucks an hour to start with?

What do you think of what the president said?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (111-120):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Is that a state minimum wage, or just what places generally pay around you?

Quoting i.m.r.:

We start at 10.25 an hour here. It was consistent with the rate of living until they final raised it and now it's not again. It took them over a year to raise it fully to 10.25 because they did it in incriments.

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Here in good old broke IL, we already have a minimum wage of $8.25 an hour, which is $1 more than Fed min wage.  We also have an unemployment rate of 8.7.  Our great democratic fool of a governor, who raised our personal income taxes by 64%, and corporate taxes by 46% the minute he got into office in 2010, is now proposing to raise minimum wage to $10 an hour.

Raising minimum wage is going to cause businesses to hire even fewer people.  It's effing nuts.  He already caused many companies to flee the state, now he'll cause many to stop increasing their employees in the minimum wage category.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM
4 moms liked this

I think if minimum wager were reserved for teenagers and first time employees or even new employees I would be ok with 7 bucks an hour.  The truth of the matter is far from that.  Millions of workers struggle just to get themselves to work on such small wages.  Heads of households struggle to maintain schedules with 2 employers because its the only way they can get the hours.

I really believe anyone who does a job well and is dependable should be able to pay their way and feed their family.

In some cases its the profit margins that are the problem perhaps and in other cases its the business sense.

The small businesses may need to reconsider how they do business if their employees cant make it.  Being in business is a responsibility not just to the people you serve but to those who serve you. 

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Agree

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

specialwingz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM

So, only the privileged rich should be allowed to have kids?

Take that silver spoon out of your mouth long enough to realize that if it was up to the 1%-ers to populate this world, we would be extinct.

And, that not everyone is "privileged" enough to get to go to college.  There will always be lower income people and families.  The rich make damn sure of it.  The rich can't funciton and stay rich without their grunt peons.

Quoting talia-mom:

Perhaps people should be in a position to do better than minimum wage and have savings and investments before having children.   Then they wouldn't need minimum wage jobs to support a family.

Shocking idea I know.

Quoting specialwingz:

And then you wonder why so many people are on PA.  JSMH.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to be rich not to be earning minimum wage?

I never knew that.   Learn something new everyday.

Minimum wage was never to be a wage on which you raise a family.   It is a wage that young people were expected to start with and then move their way up or into another business now that they have experience.

I am sorry, but I don't think a 16 year old sacker deserves 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting specialwingz:

So, only the privileged rich should be allowed to have kids?

Take that silver spoon out of your mouth long enough to realize that if it was up to the 1%-ers to populate this world, we would be extinct.

And, that not everyone is "privileged" enough to get to go to college.  There will always be lower income people and families.  The rich make damn sure of it.  The rich can't funciton and stay rich without their grunt peons.

Quoting talia-mom:

Perhaps people should be in a position to do better than minimum wage and have savings and investments before having children.   Then they wouldn't need minimum wage jobs to support a family.

Shocking idea I know.

Quoting specialwingz:

And then you wonder why so many people are on PA.  JSMH.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Good one survivorinohio...;)

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Very well said!

Quoting yourspecialkid:

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I live in NJ and our min wage is 7.25 an hour and the state senated approved to have the min wage raise to 8.25 an hour but our gover rejected it. It would be nice to have it raise because the cost of living and taxes are really high. I work min wage job because it works for me and my family i make 8.15 an hour and may not be much but with the money i'm making it helpss pay our bills and other expenise we have.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I'll be curious to see if the minimum to qualify for any/all PA will increase as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN