Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minimum wage consistent with the cost of living? 9 bucks an hour to start with?

What do you think of what the president said?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I recorded it. I can't watch it with my husband in the room he'll go batshit crazy.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM
8 moms liked this

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM
5 moms liked this

LOL Then Romney too

Mitt Romney: Minimum Wage Should Rise With Inflation

"My view has been to allow the minimum wage to rise with the [Consumer Price Index] or with another index so that it adjusts automatically over time,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/11/mitt-romney-south-carolina-minimum-wage_n_1200418.html

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

Anyone else noticed the president is a communist?

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

why?

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I recorded it. I can't watch it with my husband in the room he'll go batshit crazy.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

DH goes batshit crazy each time he listens to Obama

LOL I don't care. I told him leave the room, don't forget to close the door.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

ladysamanda
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
San Angelo Texas walmart only pays 7.25 an hour. That raise would be great. I hate my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
That's the same here.. $7.25 is a joke!

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

In my state $9 to start is amazing. We get 7.25 and it hasn't gone up for a while.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM
In Washington State one of our Senators just introduced a bill that would institute a "training wage". Companies would only be required to pay half of normal wage for a 12-16 week period when an employee begins a new job. Our minimum wage is one of the highest in the nation, but for at least three months it would knock it down to $4.12. If it was $9 for every state across the board, I guess that would make that $4.50. Yay for the working stiffs.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting glitterteaz:

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Bullshit.  I worked minimum wage jobs and now I am an employer.  We don't just have piles of money floating around.  Wages are the number one factor when it comes to the cost of goods.

When I had my dry cleaners I knew how long/what was involved with the cleaning of each item...when the wages increase it increases what it cost to turn out that item.  I have never been in business to break even..companies that don't make a profit don't grow..they don't have money to give raises or vacation pay or insurance.

You are delusisonal if you think all minimum wage workers work the hardest.  A girl sitting a counter surfing the internet between customers is NOT working as hard as the woman in the back of the cleaners scrubbing stains and running a press...that is why the woman in the back is getting $13 to $15 an hour.  Some jobs are hard work, if you don't like it...FIND ANOTHER JOB.  Any adult over the age of 25 still working a no skill minimum wage job needs to figure out WHY they still have no skills with which to earn a better wage. 

Now, just wondering...what are you willing to pay to have a dress cleaned..$20-$25?  What about a meal at  restaurant...are you okay paying $20 for a meal you now pay $15 for?

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Minimum wage should be no less than the bare minimum it takes for a person to support only them. then you get an education or learn a trade or move up the ladder where you are and make more. bare minimum being a place to live, food, cheapest transportation, gas and electric, a phone, things like that. Not cable, internet, ipad and whatnot. But then it gets messy figuring out costs so that doesn't really work either I guess.
But someone before me said minimum wage was never meant to support a family, and I agree.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured