Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Minimum wage consistent with the cost of living? 9 bucks an hour to start with?

What do you think of what the president said?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Except their new found money doesn't go as far because even more has to be spent by employers.

It isn't just the hourly increase, it is also the increase in SS and the costs of supplies for operating the business.

Quoting mehamil1:

The more money the poor and middle class have, the better the economy because those are the people who spend money, mainly because they have too. 

This is great. 

Lurion
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I think there are many ways the company can and would shuffle costs around. How did they manage it back then?

Quoting talia-mom:

So, a fast food place now has to pay 9 dollars an hour.   Do you really think prices stay the same?    The margins are very low on most of these places.

Quoting Lurion:

It seems to me it's a balancing act, with different moving parts. 

For example, if minimum wage were higher, wouldn't that mean we have fewer people needing food stamps, or needing a little less? 

When minimum wage was established, it was higher (relative to cost of living) than it is today. Are you contending that we can say we've added XX jobs since then, by squeezing the real wage lower (as per your logic about losing jobs when minimum wage is raised)?

There are many, many factors that affect the economy and jobs.  

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah for causing many, many people to lose their jobs.    I guess that is what he wants.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

And then you wonder why so many people are on PA.  JSMH.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

They didn't have to do that because people weren't trying to raise families on it.

Do you have a business?    What would you shuffle?   Should I get paid minimum wage for doing most of the work of my business so I can pay others more?

Quoting Lurion:

I think there are many ways the company can and would shuffle costs around. How did they manage it back then?

Quoting talia-mom:

So, a fast food place now has to pay 9 dollars an hour.   Do you really think prices stay the same?    The margins are very low on most of these places.

Quoting Lurion:

For example, if minimum wage were higher, wouldn't that mean we have fewer people needing food stamps, or needing a little less? 

When minimum wage was established, it was higher (relative to cost of living) than it is today. Are you contending that we can say we've added XX jobs since then, by squeezing the real wage lower (as per your logic about losing jobs when minimum wage is raised)?

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah for causing many, many people to lose their jobs.    I guess that is what he wants.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Perhaps people should be in a position to do better than minimum wage and have savings and investments before having children.   Then they wouldn't need minimum wage jobs to support a family.

Shocking idea I know.

Quoting specialwingz:

And then you wonder why so many people are on PA.  JSMH.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM
3 moms liked this

might help what you are calling bull shit. If it is how ward digging a ditch is you are full of shit.  Also, really I do not give a damn what your OPINION is the fact is employers do pay the min for the sake of lining their own wallets. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting glitterteaz:

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Bullshit.  I worked minimum wage jobs and now I am an employer.  We don't just have piles of money floating around.  Wages are the number one factor when it comes to the cost of goods.

When I had my dry cleaners I knew how long/what was involved with the cleaning of each item...when the wages increase it increases what it cost to turn out that item.  I have never been in business to break even..companies that don't make a profit don't grow..they don't have money to give raises or vacation pay or insurance.

You are delusisonal if you think all minimum wage workers work the hardest.  A girl sitting a counter surfing the internet between customers is NOT working as hard as the woman in the back of the cleaners scrubbing stains and running a press...that is why the woman in the back is getting $13 to $15 an hour.  Some jobs are hard work, if you don't like it...FIND ANOTHER JOB.  Any adult over the age of 25 still working a no skill minimum wage job needs to figure out WHY they still have no skills with which to earn a better wage. 

Now, just wondering...what are you willing to pay to have a dress cleaned..$20-$25?  What about a meal at  restaurant...are you okay paying $20 for a meal you now pay $15 for?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

OME BOSSES claim to understand why workers think that $7.25 an hour–or around $15,000 a year for a full-time, year-round job–isn’t a livable wage. But they just can’t afford to pay higher wages, goes the argument. Therefore, making companies pay higher wages would force them to lay off workers in order to keep operating.

Numerous reports have found this argument to be completely false.

According to the National Employment Law Project, 66 percent of low-wage employers in 2011 weren’t small business owners. The majority were large corporations that employed more than 100 workers. These corporations have not only recovered from the Great Recession, but 75 percent report higher revenues than before the recession.

Contrary to the claim that raising the minimum wage would force businesses to lay off workers, the majority of companies can afford to pay workers higher salaries and continue to make profits. When states have raised the minimum wage above the national standard, they have recorded a decrease in unemployment, more consumer spending and a stronger economy.

In addition, most low-wage jobs are concentrated in a small number of industries. The top three employers are Wal-Mart, McDonald’s and Yum! Brand, which operates Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC. The food service industry accounts for 60 percent of all low-wage positions, paying workers less than $10. At McDonald’s, even mid-level managers qualify as low-wage positions.

Raising the minimum wage would impact a small number of industries–in which mega-corporations make record profits.

The claim that a company like McDonald’s can’t afford to pay wages over the minimum is absolutely insulting when you compare the salary of its CEO to one of its crew members.

http://www.prosebeforehos.com/article-of-the-day/02/03/minimum-wage-myths/

Quoting yourspecialkid:

How many businesses do you own?  Oh right...NONE. 

It doesn't matter what percentage were small business owners.  Those are the ones it hurts most...and those are who employ the most people.

It doesn't matter who it affects it still raises the cost of goods...which it turn makes that wage useless.  All you have to do to find proof of this is look at the situations in the states that have the highest minimum wages.  You will also find a smaller middle class in these states. 

I came from Oregon...the cost of living is high and so is minimum wage..year after year it goes up..year after year employers find themselves giving the counter girl the raise and not the skilled workers.  Let's say it cost $10 to dry clean a dress..the biggest part of that is the time employees spend handling the dress.  Raising the wage means it costs more to handle that dress.  This is not rocket science.

Just wanted to add....Wyoming is a federal minimum wage state...our unemployment is 4%...compared to the Oregon high minimum wage and what 8% unemployment now.

Nice cut and paste though!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Sure... raise min wage... so people pay more taxes.... it's not meant to be a starting point.... If my job only raises my income to Min wage I'm going to be pissed because right now I'm making $1.25 more than Min wage right now. 

Lurion
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Well in fact I DO own a successful business. And don't pay anyone less than $10/hour. :)

Quoting talia-mom:

They didn't have to do that because people weren't trying to raise families on it.

Do you have a business?    What would you shuffle?   Should I get paid minimum wage for doing most of the work of my business so I can pay others more?

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM

oh well be like walmart then... welfare those employees!!!

Quoting talia-mom:

I'm a caterer.   I can't afford to pay people 10-15 dollars an hour because people aren't going to pay the price for the meal if I had to pay that.

Quoting glitterteaz:

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)