Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Minimum wage consistent with the cost of living? 9 bucks an hour to start with?

What do you think of what the president said?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (41-50):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Good for you.   What do you do?

I cater.   I can't afford 10-12-15 dollars an hour.   People aren't going to pay that cost with the ever rising cost of food and supplies.

Quoting Lurion:

Well in fact I DO own a successful business. And don't pay anyone less than $10/hour. :)

Quoting talia-mom:

They didn't have to do that because people weren't trying to raise families on it.

Do you have a business?    What would you shuffle?   Should I get paid minimum wage for doing most of the work of my business so I can pay others more?

Quoting Lurion:

I think there are many ways the company can and would shuffle costs around. How did they manage it back then?

Quoting talia-mom:

So, a fast food place now has to pay 9 dollars an hour.   Do you really think prices stay the same?    The margins are very low on most of these places.

Quoting Lurion:

It seems to me it's a balancing act, with different moving parts. 

For example, if minimum wage were higher, wouldn't that mean we have fewer people needing food stamps, or needing a little less? 

When minimum wage was established, it was higher (relative to cost of living) than it is today. Are you contending that we can say we've added XX jobs since then, by squeezing the real wage lower (as per your logic about losing jobs when minimum wage is raised)?

There are many, many factors that affect the economy and jobs.  

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah for causing many, many people to lose their jobs.    I guess that is what he wants.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM

These are already people that work 10-20 hours a week.

Some are servers, some are prep, one helps cook.  Should I just not employ people because others aren't willing to pay the cost of 10-15 dollars an hour for these people?

Quoting glitterteaz:

oh well be like walmart then... welfare those employees!!!

Quoting talia-mom:

I'm a caterer.   I can't afford to pay people 10-15 dollars an hour because people aren't going to pay the price for the meal if I had to pay that.

Quoting glitterteaz:

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Some scum sucking pigs think they own a business and should be allowed to pay slave wages to their 3 employees ..

Thanks for now being one of those.

I can't speak for the other chick that was talking lol

Quoting Lurion:

Well in fact I DO own a successful business. And don't pay anyone less than $10/hour. :)

Quoting talia-mom:

They didn't have to do that because people weren't trying to raise families on it.

Do you have a business?    What would you shuffle?   Should I get paid minimum wage for doing most of the work of my business so I can pay others more?

Quoting Lurion:

I think there are many ways the company can and would shuffle costs around. How did they manage it back then?

Quoting talia-mom:

So, a fast food place now has to pay 9 dollars an hour.   Do you really think prices stay the same?    The margins are very low on most of these places.

Quoting Lurion:

For example, if minimum wage were higher, wouldn't that mean we have fewer people needing food stamps, or needing a little less? 

When minimum wage was established, it was higher (relative to cost of living) than it is today. Are you contending that we can say we've added XX jobs since then, by squeezing the real wage lower (as per your logic about losing jobs when minimum wage is raised)?

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah for causing many, many people to lose their jobs.    I guess that is what he wants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

You can do that with some business models in some industries...but not in the majority.  I paid $18 hour to my manufacturing company workers...but they were all skilled..some I trained. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Lol

Yea McDonalds is struggling

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not care what you do. Pay them waitress wages. Just don't complain about PA after you refuse to pay them a living wage!

Quoting talia-mom:

Some are servers, some are prep, one helps cook.  Should I just not employ people because others aren't willing to pay the cost of 10-15 dollars an hour for these people?

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting talia-mom:

I'm a caterer.   I can't afford to pay people 10-15 dollars an hour because people aren't going to pay the price for the meal if I had to pay that.

Quoting glitterteaz:

That is just the point employers seem to think oh, so this is all I have to pay, so that is all I am going to pay. I think minimum wage should be increase to way higher. Give take breaks to those who pay even higher. People who work the hardest get paid the least in this country. Don't believe me... go get a job digging a ditch or a sewer.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think he is hell bent on obliterating the middle class.  Minimum wage was never meant to be a wage to raise a family on....it is the just starting out counter girl/burger flipper wage.  Raising the wage only raises the cost of goods and brings the wages of no skilled labor closer to the wages of skilled labor.  Pay is and should be based upon the work at hand and the skill required to do the job.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM

So I should just charge 3-5K to a bride or 2-4K to a school for a banquet?  Or are you suggesting I should just not make any money for all of my work?

Do you know the labor costs and the food costs in making crab cakes or shrimp bisque for 300 people?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Some scum sucking pigs think they own a business and should be allowed to pay slave wages to their 3 employees ..

Thanks for now being one of those.

I can't speak for the other chick that was talking lol

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Lurion:

Well it seems that we have made our own decisions--and "we" want schools, roads, some services for the common good and some things we decide on our own! 

Please explain to me why McDonald's doesn't pay well now, but people can't leave? And how would that be different under your system?

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Romney was the last man standing after the better contenders got knocked down before they had a chance to get in.  He's not one bit better than Obama..

I am Libertarian. I want to make my own decisions. I want you to make yours.

In a Constitutional Government free enterprise would work. People could pay what the employee was worth. People could leave. If a company does not pay enough, they won't have employees. Businesses would not be supported or destroyed because of an unequal tax law.  Bad businesses would fail, good ones will succeed.

Quoting annabl1970:

LOL Then Romney too

Mitt Romney: Minimum Wage Should Rise With Inflation

"My view has been to allow the minimum wage to rise with the [Consumer Price Index] or with another index so that it adjusts automatically over time,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/11/mitt-romney-south-carolina-minimum-wage_n_1200418.html

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Anyone else noticed the president is a communist?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Your ignorance is unreal.

Quoting glitterteaz:

I do not care what you do. Pay them waitress wages. Just don't complain about PA after you refuse to pay them a living wage!

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting glitterteaz:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Many franchises are struggling.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Lol

Yea McDonalds is struggling

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting talia-mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN