Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Sues TSA For $5 Million Following Peanut Butter Arrest

Posted by   + Show Post

24 hours in a cell for joking about sandwich spread

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
Feb 11, 2013

An Arizona man who was arrested at the behest of the TSA, following a wisecrack over a jar of peanut butter is suing the federal agency for $5 million.

Frank Hannibal, 50, was detained and dragged from LaGuardia Airport recently by police after a run-in with TSA agents over the jar of gourmet sandwich spread.

“The liquid oil that separated from the peanut butter had them baffled,” Hannibal told the New York Daily News.

Hannibal then commented to his wife and children that “They’re looking to confiscate my explosives,” as TSA agents inspected the 16-ounce jar of “Crazy Richards” chunky peanut butter.

TSA screener Edwin Sanchez, overheard Hannibal’s remark, did not see the funny side, and immediately called the cops, according to the court complaint.

Hannibal spent the next 24 hours in a cell, during which time he was fed a peanut butter sandwich by cops who later charged him with the felony of “falsely reporting an incident”.

“It sounds laughable now but at the time to be led out of there like a terrorist was unbelievable,” Hannibal tells the Daily News. “My whole life was up in the air. It was a nightmare. My children were overwhelmed. It was crazy.”

Hannibal has brought a $5-million-dollar lawsuit against the TSA worker and the Port Authority officer who arrested him, all over a $7 confectionary which was returned to him upon his release from jail.

“It’s a sorry state of affairs in this country when sarcasm is considered a felony,” his attorney, Alan D. Levine of Queens, noted, adding that TSA agents need to act with common sense in such situations.

This is not an isolated incident. The TSA has a history of concentrating on looking out for cakes and pies, as well as sauces, oils and vinegars.

The Homeland Security agency has also instituted a crack down on candy and cupcakes.

At the same time, people are routinely waltzing through security lines with swords, knives, explosives and guns. Many agents are too busy groping women and searching old people’s diapers to bother checking passports and flight passes.

Still, it’s good to know that the government is keeping Americans safe from sandwich wielding jokers.

source

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (61-70):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this
The examples you used are not the same as a man standing in front of TSA talking about explosives. If you want someone to win a lawsuit you want it to be a precedent like the elderly person being embarrassed while wearing an adult diaper not for a man using a dangerous buzzword while standing at security. Do you really want to be standing behind someone talking about bombs and explosives while "joking" and security can't do anything because their hands are tied because of a legal precedent? Be careful which lawsuit you get behind. Trust me, this isn't the one.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's about time someone called them on their stupidity.  I hope it becomes a class action suit from all those who have been treated so badly.

Was the joke in poor taste?  Yes.  But seriously, they've ruptured colonoscopy bags, made crippled old people get up and walk, unassisted, so they can check the wheel chair, felt up children, squeezed breast implants to the point of causing severe pain, and put babies through scanners with NO REASON to really believe or suspect they were a threat!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Even sillier that I am now searching for laws related to peanut butter. :)

Quoting SuperChicken:

Okay.  If you can show me a policy or law that says that saying the word explosives in an airport means an automatic arrest and charge of "falsely reporting an incident"  I'll change my mind and proclaim this TSA agent brilliant.      Otherwise "perhaps" also means "perhaps not."   Because jailing everyone who ever said explosives, or bomb, or gun, or any other word, in an airport doesn't make much sense to me from a legal perspective.    Not that the law always uses sense.

Quoting LauraKW:

Perhaps this red flag means you do go to jail, period. And that charge is the automatically applied charge for anyone going to jail under such circumstances. It actually makes sense from a legal perspective.

Yes, the article from a self-proclaimed slanted site does say he was baffled by peanut butter.

Quoting SuperChicken:

A red flag, sure.   Worthy of arrest and jailing and being charged with something completely different (falsly reporting an incident) not so much. Not all red flags mean you go to jail.   We should be able to expect that TSA agents have a modicon of sense and enough self control not to abuse their position of authority.   I assume the TSA agent was baffled by peanut butter because I read the article and it says he was baffled by the peanut butter.

Quoting LauraKW:

Or perhaps it is an automatic red flag - you say you have explosives at the airport, you automatically go to jail. Why would you assume the agent was baffled by the peanut butter? Sounds like while they were looking at the peanut butter he said he had explosives. Ding - go to jail, go directly to jail.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Exactly, it was the bully with a badge confused by peanut butter.  The guy who had someone arrested just to show he could, not because he actually thought there was a legitimate threat.   No abuse of power there, no siree.   (Unless you actually think he was so exceedingly stupid that he was not only confused by peanut butter,but also incapable of determining the father was joking and felt that the peanut butter really was an peanutty explosive - that is a distinct possibility I suppose)   I know I feel so much safer travelling knowing I'll be free from natural peanut butter on my next flight - even if they do let the guns, knives and bombs through. 

Quoting LauraKW:

They did show him who was boss. It wasn't the guy joking about explosives in the airport.

Quoting SuperChicken:

I have to wonder about just how stupid the people the TSA hires are if a jar of peanut butter has them baffled.   And for them to compound their stupidity by then arresting the man for making fun of their stupidity, because I'm sure they knew he was being sarcastic and wanted to show him who was boss around there like many bullies with badges, is ridiculous.  

EDIT to add.   This is one of the most entertaining conversations I've had lately.   I cannot believe I'm going back and forth about a jar of peanut butter and two idiots in an airport.   Omg, so silly but so funny too.  

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting SuperChicken:

EDIT to add.   This is one of the most entertaining conversations I've had lately.   I cannot believe I'm going back and forth about a jar of peanut butter and two idiots in an airport.   Omg, so silly but so funny too.  

Oh pleasepleaseplease find a law against natural peanut butter on a plane.   That would make my day! 

pittawadda
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I'm not just talking about the the TSA. Things like this are all over. It similar to the debate on armed guards in schools. That's what I mean by slippery slope.
I understand that we want to prevent these things from happening, however when situations like this happen (even with a jackhole statement like this guys) and this over reaction, it makes me wonder how far people are willing to go for safety.
The TSA had to pat down my then 18 month old baby bc I added him as a lap baby within 2 weeks of the flight. Yeah that was fun.
Bottom line IMO the whole thing was mid handled and the guy acted like a douche.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I am more concerned about the slippery slope we would be on if some of you had your way and the TSA became known for casually blowing off claims of bombs being carried onto airplanes.

Quoting pittawadda:

This line of thinking leads to more overprotection and loss of freedoms. It sucks the slippery slope all this leads to.

I think it's asinine he was arrested.

I think he is suing simply to prove a point. It's all a show.

IMO the TSA does not receive proper training to spot an honest to god terrorist. I say this knowing what their training and knowing what freaking specialized interrogators go through.

So it's all around ridiculous.

I hate hate hate that we all are suppose to just shut up and move along in the airport. I do it of course and its not like I'd joke about anything while there, it's just ridiculous the power trip a small number of TSA agents go on.

Ug

Rant over

I'd rather not fly but unfortunately can't avoid it.

Quoting punky3175:

So you want to let people talk about explosives while standing in line at an airport and nothing be done?

Remember that when TSA gets more lax and the next plane blows up.

Quoting candlegal:

Yes they are

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I hope he wins.

The TSA is getting out of control.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Food for thought for those that think TSA was wrong: would you feel differently if this man was traveling alone, "brown" and had the last name Patel?
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Honestly, I don't support his individual lawsuit.  But if it went class action, I would support it.  It is very possible in a class action for the judge to award different people different awards.  Those who weren't making "jokes" and did nothing to deserve what they went through should be awarded more, and him very little if anything.  (If it went class action, a lawyer could even drop his claim b/c he brought so much upon himself, but keep the rest.)

The people like the old man, violated woman, horrified mothers aren't usually the ones who START something like this.  Sadly, they tend to be so upset and just want it over and in the past that they won't follow up.  It usually takes an ass wipe to get the ball rolling, and it snowballs from there.  It takes one person making a real stand.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

The examples you used are not the same as a man standing in front of TSA talking about explosives. If you want someone to win a lawsuit you want it to be a precedent like the elderly person being embarrassed while wearing an adult diaper not for a man using a dangerous buzzword while standing at security. Do you really want to be standing behind someone talking about bombs and explosives while "joking" and security can't do anything because their hands are tied because of a legal precident? Be careful which lawsuit you get behind. Trust me, this isn't the one.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's about time someone called them on their stupidity.  I hope it becomes a class action suit from all those who have been treated so badly.

Was the joke in poor taste?  Yes.  But seriously, they've ruptured colonoscopy bags, made crippled old people get up and walk, unassisted, so they can check the wheel chair, felt up children, squeezed breast implants to the point of causing severe pain, and put babies through scanners with NO REASON to really believe or suspect they were a threat!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
So far I have found that several people have tried to conceal pot inside peanut butter.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Oh pleasepleaseplease find a law against natural peanut butter on a plane.   That would make my day! 

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Hope he wins, if not the money at least to get the TSA to acknowledge issues within it's system.

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Food for thought for those that think TSA was wrong: would you feel differently if this man was traveling alone, "brown" and had the last name Patel?

Are you insinuating that people who believe the TSA was wrong in this case (like me) are racists?   That's a pretty big leap.   

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I already said I think that TSA does overboard. I just do not think they did so in THIS case. I work in an area of the country where armed guards in the workplace is common so I have zero issues with our kids being protected at least as well as office buildings are.

Quoting pittawadda:

I'm not just talking about the the TSA. Things like this are all over. It similar to the debate on armed guards in schools. That's what I mean by slippery slope.

I understand that we want to prevent these things from happening, however when situations like this happen (even with a jackhole statement like this guys) and this over reaction, it makes me wonder how far people are willing to go for safety.

The TSA had to pat down my then 18 month old baby bc I added him as a lap baby within 2 weeks of the flight. Yeah that was fun.

Bottom line IMO the whole thing was mid handled and the guy acted like a douche.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I am more concerned about the slippery slope we would be on if some of you had your way and the TSA became known for casually blowing off claims of bombs being carried onto airplanes.

Quoting pittawadda:

This line of thinking leads to more overprotection and loss of freedoms. It sucks the slippery slope all this leads to.

I think it's asinine he was arrested.

I think he is suing simply to prove a point. It's all a show.

IMO the TSA does not receive proper training to spot an honest to god terrorist. I say this knowing what their training and knowing what freaking specialized interrogators go through.

So it's all around ridiculous.

I hate hate hate that we all are suppose to just shut up and move along in the airport. I do it of course and its not like I'd joke about anything while there, it's just ridiculous the power trip a small number of TSA agents go on.

Ug

Rant over

I'd rather not fly but unfortunately can't avoid it.

Quoting punky3175:

So you want to let people talk about explosives while standing in line at an airport and nothing be done?

Remember that when TSA gets more lax and the next plane blows up.

Quoting candlegal:

Yes they are

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I hope he wins.

The TSA is getting out of control.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN