Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Coca-Cola addiction death: Mother of eight dies from unhealthy soda habit

Posted by   + Show Post

A Coca-cola addiction contributed to the death of a 30-year-old woman from New Zealand.

Or is it just a unhealthy life style?
(4) |
|

File. UPI/Gary C. Caskey
File. UPI/Gary C. Caskey 
License photo
Updated Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Published: Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Natasha Harris via Telegraph 

A New Zealand mother of eight, who drank excessive amounts of Coca-cola everyday for years, died of a heart attack three years ago, likely brought on by her unusual consumption of the soft drink, a coroner has found.

In a decision that was released Tuesday, three years after Natasha Harris passed away, coroner David Crear found that she died of cardiac arrhythmia caused by the effects of caffeine and a poor nutrition, the Telegraph reported.

In life, Natasha Harris, 30, drank up to 10 liters of Coke a day. The recommended daily caffeine intake for the average person is 400 mg.

"The first thing she would do in the morning was have a drink of Coke, and the last thing she would do in the day was have a drink of Coke by her bed," said her de facto partner Christopher Hodgkinson.

Harris died on Feb. 25, 2010 from a cardiac arrest. It was Hodgkinson who found her seating on the toilet, bent towards the wall and asking for help.

According to coroner Crear, "the drinking of very large quantities of Coke was a substantial factor that contributed to the development of the metabolic imbalances which gave rise to the arrhythmia."

Besides her unhealthy Coke addiction, Harris reportedly smoked 30 cigarettes per day and ate very little.

Still, Crear concluded that "when all of the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died."

The coroner advised the New Zealand Ministry of Health to review whether labels on soft drinks gave enough protection to consumers and urged Coca-Cola to consider including the quantity of caffeine content on its labels, along with a warning on excessive consumption.

In a statement, Coca-Cola Oceania Ltd. said the company did not agree with the verdict pointing to the soft drink as the main cause of the heart condition that led to Harris' death.

"The coroner acknowledged that he could not be certain what caused Ms Harris' heart attack. Therefore we are disappointed that the coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris' excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death. This is contrary to the evidence that showed the experts could not agree on the most likely cause."
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Replies (31-40):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Just to put it in familiar terms, 10L is about 28 cans.

Was the coke the only reason for her death? No, obviously she made a lot of poor choices (smoking, poor eating habits), but it certainly was a contributing factor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Everything in moderation.

This part:

The coroner advised the New Zealand Ministry of Health to review whether labels on soft drinks gave enough protection to consumers and urged Coca-Cola to consider including the quantity of caffeine content on its labels, along with a warning on excessive consumption.

I think that's a little overboard.  It doesn't take a brainiac to understand that caffeine and other stuff in any sort of soda is not good and too much can do damage to your health.  This gal knew she was slowly killing her body, she just didn't care.  It's sad that her kids had to watch her abuse herself like that over the years.

I get it that it's yummy and that it can be somewhat addicting.  I love me some Coca-Cola.  The way other people say "I need a drink" after a particularly stressful day, I say "I need a soda".  However, I don't even drink it every day, and the days that I do I drink about 12 - 24 oz for the day.  Not 10 litres.  That's just nuts.

SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

10 Liters?!  That's a lot of coke in a day. Wow. Sounds like she was literally addicted to the stuff.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

nelliesmommy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

smh....30 ciggs a day?

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

that is alot of soda.. very sad example of poor choices

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Are they going to ban Coke now?

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Her unhealthy habit is what did it. It's not "because of" coca cola. 

PestPatti
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I drink Cherry Coke daily, they better not ban my favorite drink.     

Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

This is so sad. I know how addicting soda can be. I forced myself to give it up last year (but I never did drink nearly as much as this woman). I still have some occasionally on the weekends but I even want to stop doing that. It's hard to give up. She had a serious addiction, like I've never seen. She was drinking the equivalant of FIVE 2 liter bottles a day! That is way extreme and I'm sure it played at least a part in her death, but the cigarettes didn't help either obviously.

babie113
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Caffeine can kill too much coffee does this too same with energy drinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN