Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think violence is ever justifiable?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 24 Replies

Burned Body in Cabin Believed to be Fugitive Christopher Dorner Who Was Wanted for Four Murders

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on February 13, 2013 

Christopher DornerChristopher Dorner, the fugitive accused of killing four people on a rampage across California, is believed dead in a cabin in Big Bear Lake, California. The former officer of the LAPD was angry about his dismissal from the force following a situation in which he accused a fellow officer of police brutality.

After a shootout with police, a charred body was found inside a cabin in which Dorner had been holed up. They have reason to believe the body is that of Dorner. This ends a more than week long hunt for the fugitive believed to have shot Monica Quan, 28, the daughter of the lawyer who defended him against accusations of lying and her 27-year-old fiance, Keith Lawrence. He then killed two more officers of the law during his run.

Quan and Lawrence were shot in the parking garage of their condo after Dorner sent out a "manifesto" in which he said: "I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own, I'm terminating yours" presumably directed at Quan.

He also had a lot to say about the LAPD in general. He said they have not changed since the days of Rodney King and that the people involved in such corruption and racism have only been promoted.

The fact is, in his sick and twisted, chilling manifesto, he made some good points. He gave examples of rampant racism and listed them out. Wisely, some even say.

Unfortunately, this sick rampage has undone any good he might have done. It does not matter if he thinks the LAPD is racist when he is allegedly SHOOTING and killing people over it. Any good point a person ever has is undone when they resort to violence. Period. End of story.

It's a shame. From what I have read, it seems possible that Dorner WAS unfairly dismissed. But there has to have been a better way for him to deal with it. There had to be other channels through which he could pursue justice.

This is just such a waste. Five people (including the person believed to be Dorner) are dead now. His point is lost in a hail of gun fire and aggression. Violence is never the answer. Now it just seems that the LAPD was justified in dismissing a man who was clearly unstable and dangerous and who never should have been armed as an officer of the law.

What did this fix? Nothing. His name is not cleared. No one cares if he lied or not since he is accused of killing four people. What a waste. What a sick, sick, tragic waste.

If only there had been a way to prevent it.

Do you think violence is ever justifiable?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I surely hope no 1 thinks it's okay to just go out and seek vengeance on other peoples family members were completely innocent of the entire incident.

self defense is still violent so yesyes there are some cases were you do need to defend yourself.

however the kind of violence it we've been seeing in recent days will you go and you just kill innocent people know there is never any excuse for that I don't care who you are what your mental health status there is no acceptable reason to go out and hurt innocent people
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
6 moms liked this
Usually only when I'm on the interstate
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I will react with violence if I'm ever attacked or anything. The violence Dorner performed was counter productive.

Jalestra
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, violence is frequently justifiable. Not in this case...

storkradio193
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

One would first have to define violence.  But, if taken the broadly, then yes it can be justifiable.  There are numerous cases when some form of violence is needed to prevent harm to others as just one example.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't agree with his actions...but its sad that the system was so crooked that he felt this was his only recourse...

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I think violence can be necessary and that the necessity can be justification but there are a lot of alternatives that fall to the wayside while violence prevails.  I dont think thats justifiable

nelliesmommy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yes, sometimes, if anyone ever tries to harm me I am going to try and kill them or really hurt them.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on my cycle.

LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Even Gandhi said violence was warranted in certain circumstances. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN