Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are there parts of your town where you wont even drive?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 73 Replies

As I think about bigger cities I have visited there are probably places I shouldnt go.  Here in Akron I will go anywhere and used to walk in the 80s.  I was never afraid as a rule though I admit to having had a few scares over the yrs.  I was in a very bad area once and a group of boys told me they would kill my rott.  I was afraid lol.

We dont have a huge gang issue though there are gangs here.  I just wonder if my bubble is really different than someone elses experience.  Are there areas you are afraid of driving through in your city?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM

There's not too much crime in my particular neighborhood where I currently live.

I used to live in Queens near the Ridgewood/Buswick, Bkln border. I wouldn't go past a certain street, no matter what the hour. I wasn't keen on walking alone at night and tried my hardest to avoid ever having to. When there was no choice, it was with a quick, determined stride that got me to my destination as quickly as possible.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I will not go to the south side of Chicago. Even if I was offered money, I would go. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Nope, we planted roots here for good reason.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM
My city's fairly small, about 50 000, but, no there are no areas in which I'm afraid to drive or walk. Heck, I pretty much live in the 'hood', or on the edges at least, and I walk to and from work as late as 11:30-12:00.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

There is no place in my town where I don't feel safe, walking or in a car.  The only limit I would put on that is if I was by myself at around 3 AM, then I would feel worried about walking around anywhere, but not driving.  About 33,000 people live in my suburb south of Boston. 

I lived on my own in Chicago for more than a decade, and there were definitely places where you had to be cautious.  I taught exercise classes at the Cabrini Green YMCA for several years (Cabrini Green is a notoriously dangerous housing project) and was never hassled.  I rode the bus to get there through some very interesting neighborhoods. 

The worst experiences I had during my years in Chicago--including a guy sticking a gun in my back and a crazy man trying to push me into traffic--were all in the most upscale areas of town, during the daytime or the very early evening (8-9 PM).   

imapepper
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
There are parts of Dallas I won't drive in. I have before on accident and was super scared. That's why we live in the country about 30 min from Dallas. My husband can still work there, but I don't have to be scared to go outside (in some areas)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

In Colorado Springs I would say no to drive by, but very dangerous at night if you walk around.

Nothing like L.A for sure there are maney areas you just don't go into!

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I grew up in a pretty bad area, so where I live now, I feel all right to roam freely.  There have only been a handful of places, I felt uncomfortale in, even in a car.  My hometown being one of them (old hometown, it's pretty cleaned up now), Chicago, Baltimore, Connecticut (forget which city I was in) and a couple of places in Washington DC.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting momtoscott:

There is no place in my town where I don't feel safe, walking or in a car.  The only limit I would put on that is if I was by myself at around 3 AM, then I would feel worried about walking around anywhere, but not driving.  About 33,000 people live in my suburb south of Boston. 

I lived on my own in Chicago for more than a decade, and there were definitely places where you had to be cautious.  I taught exercise classes at the Cabrini Green YMCA for several years (Cabrini Green is a notoriously dangerous housing project) and was never hassled.  I rode the bus to get there through some very interesting neighborhoods. 

The worst experiences I had during my years in Chicago--including a guy sticking a gun in my back and a crazy man trying to push me into traffic--were all in the most upscale areas of town, during the daytime or the very early evening (8-9 PM).   

That is very ironic.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Nope, this is one reason I live where I live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN