Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student bruised after being lassoed by history teacher

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 35 Replies

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Student-bruised-after-being-lassoed-by-history-teacher-190972841.html

ROWLETT — What started off as a history lesson at Schrade Middle School in Rowlett ended up with a 7th grader having rope marks around his neck.

A history teacher was trying to teach lasso techniques used during cattle drives. He asked for student volunteers, and had them run... then tried to rope them.

"[The teacher] was visiting with the students, telling the students about how Cowboys would corral maverick steers back into the herd," explained Garland Independent School District spokesman Chris Moore.

The 13-year-old volunteer ended up with bruises.

"This is not something that we feel was malicious, it was not intent," Moore said. "Extremely unfortunate, and extremely poor judgment."

The Garland ISD has launched an investigation and suspended the teacher, they say for precautionary reasons.

The Rowlett Police Department is looking at possible criminal charges of injury to a child.

The district says the unnamed teacher feels badly and agreed to never use the lasso in class again.

The student's parents tell News 8 the bruises around their son's neck were worse on Tuesday. They said they can't believe something like this could happen at school.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4music
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I got a black eye during a game of kick ball in gym class and paper cut once in art class when we were doing some origami...

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

What a fool.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Oh wow.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Meh, I got a cut lip and bruised cheek from playing floor hockey in gym. My dad also used to lasso us from time to time. I think it was an accident that the teacher clearly feels badly about. He's said he won't use the lasso again, not sure what else people want to happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

he must be fired and sued for 1 million dollar for the pain and suffering of this child's parents.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Meh, I got a cut lip and bruised cheek from playing floor hockey in gym. My dad also used to lasso us from time to time. I think it was an accident that the teacher clearly feels badly about. He's said he won't use the lasso again, not sure what else people want to happen.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Oh, good lord. This is stupid and this poor teacher is being ostracized for being creative. Those parents need a swift kick in the pants.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

How awesome must that class be?

Though honestly, I'd feel more comfortable if this had been a highschool class. I'm betting this is one of those things that get's blown out of proportion.

I know! Lets have our kids live in bubbles!

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I feel bad for the kid.  I hope he doesn't become a target with everyone making fun of him because his parents are having a hairy canary over this.   

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I'm the first one to yell when I feel a child is mistreated at school but this is silly.

It was an accident. A teacher was trying to make history come alive and it had... unfortunate consequences.

I'm sorry - I can't help but giggle a bit.

I would, as a parent, insist that this particular demonstration wasn't done again (because of the potential for greater harm - rope, neck, and all that jive), but that's as far as I would take it.

Again, I can't help but giggle imagining my old history teacher trying to teach us to lasso...

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Poor teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)