Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 143 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

gavel

Copyright Getty Images

Advertisement

Posted: 10:18 PM

• By: Associated Press By: Associated Press

JACKSON, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio school district will keep a portrait of Jesus hanging in the school building where it's been 65 years, saying it is protecting students' free speech rights.

The board voted 4-0 Tuesday night to keep the painting up despite a federal lawsuit that contends the portrait unconstitutionally promotes religion in a public school.

After huddling with attorneys in closed session the board said the portrait belongs to the student group that put it up, the Hi-Y club. It says it will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations.

An ACLU spokesman says the portrait is still

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/ohio-school-board-votes-to-keep-jesus-portrait-up#ixzz2KoMos9Ws

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Wth is a Hi-Y club? :/ Is it religious?
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Because democracy is SO good at protecting minority rights and freedoms.

Morons.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

"It says it will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations."

Problem solved.

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

And here we go again.......  

You'd think that school boards would include educated smart people, but I guess not in Jackson, Ohio.

Whisper04
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting ethans_momma06:

"It says it will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations."

Problem solved.

I agree. The school is not teaching the Bible or leading prayer, it's a picture, and other students are welcome to put up their own.
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this

What rights are "violated" by a piece of artwork that has been in place for 65 years remaining in place? That's ridiculous.

Quoting LindaClement:

Because democracy is SO good at protecting minority rights and freedoms.

Morons.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I agree with you.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Problem solved.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juju40
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM

is it offending anyone ???I don't think so..the picture of Jesus has been up a long time and nobody has complained until now..this generation is really lacking morals

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
5 moms liked this
Nobody has complained until now because they would have been ostracized or worse (probably worse). Lack of morals have nothing to do with wanting to feel secure and equal in your school.

Quoting juju40:

is it offending anyone ???I don't think so..the picture of Jesus has been up a long time and nobody has complained until now..this generation is really lacking morals

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting juju40:

Lacking 'morals'? What does morals have to do with a religious picture being on Government property where it doesn't belong?

How do you know it's not offending anyone? Perhaps a non-christian child at that school is offended but too scared to say anything. Just because Christians are so used to getting their own way, they seem to think they're being attacked now that non-Christians have the balls to actually stand up for their rights.

You might think sitting down, shutting up and turning a blind eye to religious entitlement is moral but I find it disgusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)