Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

Posted by   + Show Post

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

gavel

Copyright Getty Images

Advertisement

Posted: 10:18 PM

• By: Associated Press By: Associated Press

JACKSON, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio school district will keep a portrait of Jesus hanging in the school building where it's been 65 years, saying it is protecting students' free speech rights.

The board voted 4-0 Tuesday night to keep the painting up despite a federal lawsuit that contends the portrait unconstitutionally promotes religion in a public school.

After huddling with attorneys in closed session the board said the portrait belongs to the student group that put it up, the Hi-Y club. It says it will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations.

An ACLU spokesman says the portrait is still

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/ohio-school-board-votes-to-keep-jesus-portrait-up#ixzz2KoMos9Ws

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Whisper04
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is it that a picture of someone elses God is offensive? Is the reminder that there are others that don't believe as you do just too much? I do feel that other students with differing beliefs should have had the right to create and display pictures expressing those beliefs a long time ago.
Separation of Church & State, as it pertains to schools, was meant to prevent the school administration and teachers from forcing their beliefs on the students through text and teaching ect. It was not meant to prevent students from expressing their own beliefs.
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

How stupid is it that schools need technology and new books and so forth but they are willing to squander the money that helps them teach students to pay lawyers to keep a stupid fucking picture of a fictional Jesus who never resembled the said picture.

Whisper04
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
About as stupid as the people so offended they were and are willing to bring it to the courts in the first place ,over a " stupid f..ing picture"
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh, for heaven's sake. Put up a picture of Mohammed, ghandi, and buddha so everyone can be happy. Oh..wait. Nevermind. Then the atheists will be offended and ostracized. It NEVER ends. When will people start thinking of others again? Why is this generation all about ME ME ME and looking for offense? Don't like the pic? Don't look at it.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Whisper04:

Why is it that a picture of someone elses God is offensive? Is the reminder that there are others that don't believe as you do just too much? I do feel that other students with differing beliefs should have had the right to create and display pictures expressing those beliefs a long time ago.
Separation of Church & State, as it pertains to schools, was meant to prevent the school administration and teachers from forcing their beliefs on the students through text and teaching ect. It was not meant to prevent students from expressing their own beliefs.

Thank-you! This entire reply bears repeating.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

NO the disbelief in your Jesus does not equal lack of morals -

Quoting juju40:

is it offending anyone ???I don't think so..the picture of Jesus has been up a long time and nobody has complained until now..this generation is really lacking morals

I wouldn't say 'lacking morals'.  I would call it an absence of civility towards others. This generation is all about ME ME ME and finding reasons to be offended.  

I'm not referring to this post specifically. It's  e v e r y w h e r e.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

What relevance to this issue does the date have?

Quoting TranquilMind:

What rights are "violated" by a piece of artwork that has been in place for 65 years remaining in place? That's ridiculous.

Quoting LindaClement:

Because democracy is SO good at protecting minority rights and freedoms.

Morons.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM
2 moms liked this

So... religious entitlement.

I hate it when the majority complains about the minority having entitlement complexes... yet, gets pissy when they are asked to be all inclusive...*shrugs* 

It's really quite sad and very telling of how strong their faith is.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM

But they are being all inclusive.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

And the group with the least civility are the christians. just sayin

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting mikiemom:

NO the disbelief in your Jesus does not equal lack of morals -

Quoting juju40:

is it offending anyone ???I don't think so..the picture of Jesus has been up a long time and nobody has complained until now..this generation is really lacking morals

I wouldn't say 'lacking morals'.  I would call it an absence of civility towards others. This generation is all about ME ME ME and finding reasons to be offended.  

I'm not referring to this post specifically. It's  e v e r y w h e r e.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN