Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

Posted by   + Show Post

Ohio school board votes to keep Jesus portrait up

gavel

Copyright Getty Images

Advertisement

Posted: 10:18 PM

• By: Associated Press By: Associated Press

JACKSON, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio school district will keep a portrait of Jesus hanging in the school building where it's been 65 years, saying it is protecting students' free speech rights.

The board voted 4-0 Tuesday night to keep the painting up despite a federal lawsuit that contends the portrait unconstitutionally promotes religion in a public school.

After huddling with attorneys in closed session the board said the portrait belongs to the student group that put it up, the Hi-Y club. It says it will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations.

An ACLU spokesman says the portrait is still

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/ohio-school-board-votes-to-keep-jesus-portrait-up#ixzz2KoMos9Ws

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (141-143):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ditto

Quoting timeforprogress:

Oh I really hope there are some brave students who will form a nonbelievers club and hang up something on the wall to make them regret their decision.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

True but it is so stupid to throw money away for lawyers instead of learning tools.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Quoting glitterteaz:

How stupid is it that schools need technology and new books and so forth but they are willing to squander the money that helps them teach students to pay lawyers to keep a stupid fucking picture of a fictional Jesus who never resembled the said picture.

Although I agree that the picture shouldn't be there, I'd just tell my son, "That's not what Jesus looked like" and use it as a learning opportunity.

Lemons and lemonade moment.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM
It's allowed to be on school property. As long as the school isn't the one that placed it there. And the superintendent is backing the right for it to be there. He is not advocating Christianity be taught or preached and he is not the one who put it there. There is a differance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)