Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fracking

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 106 Replies

This is a spin off from another thread, where people asked about the safety of fracking.

Horizontal slickwater fracturing (more commonly known as "fracking") involves shoving a fracturing fluid (mostly sand and water - 1 part sand to 9 parts water) down the well at high pressure, causing small fractures in the rock.  The water then comes back out, leaving the sand behind to hold open the fractures so gas previously trapped can now escape.

Here's an animation of the process:

Sometimes instead of sand they use a different substance to prop the fractures open, such as small granules of glass or ceramic.

Sometimes they add a very small amount of radioactive isotopes to the fluid, to help track where the fluid is going (in the USA that's limited to 20 millicuries per injection).

Often they add some other chemicals to the fluid (about 1 part in 200) to alter the acidity and viscosity, such as rubbing alcohol.

The issues people are concerned about can be split into:

1. Geological - eg will it cause earthquakes?
  2. Worker safety - eg will the people working on the well suffer from breathing in dust created by the process?
  3. Air contamination - eg if not all the natural gas released gets captured, will the escaping gas like methane cause local problems?
  4. Water contamination - eg will the additives in the fracking fluid escape into local groundwater and surface water?
  5. Resource consumption - fracking uses up a lot of water.   some places are already short on water
  6. Global climate change - fracking will cause more carbon to end up in the atmosphere
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don't know much about it, but one of the guys in my COD clan is a mechanic for the machines that do this. 

lga1965
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I can't see why anyone would agree to fracking.
If we started developing wind farms and,solar power in a large scale, just think of the new jobs that would be created and the best part would be less dependence on oil and other dirty fuels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lga1965:

Money.

For a nation, discovering that you have large fossil fuel reserves you previously thought inaccessible, that you suddenly discover can be cheaply extracted, feels a bit like winning a lottery.

Big winners in this lottery so far have been Canada, Israel and America.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I admit it I am afraid of fracking.  I am concerned about damage to aquifers, geological instability and the poisonous waste and seepage issues. 

Meg10
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lga1965:

Money.

For a nation, discovering that you have large fossil fuel reserves you previously thought inaccessible, that you suddenly discover can be cheaply extracted, feels a bit like winning a lottery.

Also North Dakota & Montana 

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Sorry Clair - I don't see you being too successful with this propaganda.

I mean Matt Damon just Flopped with his big bank rolled ant-fracking propaganda film, so...........

What else ya got?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Billiejeens:

Sorry Clair - I don't see you being too successful with this propaganda.

Propaganda?

I have given a factual description of what fracking is, and I've categorised the concerns people have expressed.

I have said NOTHING, yet, on my personal opinion about which (if any) of those concerns are justified.

lga1965
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Yes, money can make people lose all sense of reality. Just wait until there are more earthquakes and polluted water.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lga1965:

Money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I have well water. They do fracking here. There have been documented cases of poisoned wells in my state. I'm obviously afraid of fracking. It is not worth it to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN